Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The reasons behind the 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:54 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

This is another great chance for Kerbeck to add dealer markup premium to the MSRP.
Anyone else remember the 2006 Z06?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
The dealer still has to floor plan the car so it's fair game.
Yep, I would tend to "follow the money" to figure out the purpose of this edition. If GM is lending these cars to dealers for marketing purposes, then I buy into that reason. But if the dealers have to floor plan or purchase these from GM then I am less convinced that it is for an advertising opportunity. I can only think that except for a few very large dealers, no one will want to have the floor plan on a car for 6 months, and no one would let their money sit on the floor for 6 months.

So, who's paying to have these cars sit as showroom bling? GM or Dealer?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:24 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
Yep, I would tend to "follow the money" to figure out the purpose of this edition. If GM is lending these cars to dealers for marketing purposes, then I buy into that reason. But if the dealers have to floor plan or purchase these from GM then I am less convinced that it is for an advertising opportunity. I can only think that except for a few very large dealers, no one will want to have the floor plan on a car for 6 months, and no one would let their money sit on the floor for 6 months.

Dealer ............ This according to Dave @ Kerbeck.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

But if any dealer gets more than 1, or immediately sells the same, then I see it as a largest dealer price gouging opportunity courtesy of BG. "Thanks for selling Corvettes, here is our newest model, opted to the moon, with limited production - go forth and sell it for maximum profit."
The dealer can ask any price they want for a car. If the buyer wants to pay it than how is the dealer gouging?

I think some of you need to own a new car dealership and see how much money it takes everyday just to open up. Most new cars stores it costs $15,000 a day just to break even. Have you noticed that dealers have to upgrade their stores to the new GM look? I guess that 2 million dollars per store just fell out of the sky?

If you don't like the price someone is asking there is nobody holding a gun to your head to buy it. Walk away!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I don't want to shoot the messenger, but in my opinion the blue/brown is a hideous color combination so maybe GM will get their wish and the cars will sit on showroom floors for a while.
Actually, we got to see this combination at Pocono Raceway and I was shocked how much I liked it! If you told me about the combo before I saw it in person I would have had the same reaction!

I wouldn't mind stocking this combination except I'm still trying to gauge how many 3LT vs 2LT we're going to stock.

Dave
Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
After hearing that the premiere edition was produced to show off accessories and act as a demo car I wasn't as bothered. That was until I realized that it doesn't count towards the dealers allocation and the possibility of this getting produced before customer ordered units get produced and that's when I get bothered.

I think if the true reason that GM built this edition was to have demos at the dealership then they should have put stipulations on ordering it. Such as they must keep the car for at least 6 months and when they sell it it needs to have more than 5000 miles before being allowed to sell it. In return they get a demo can discounted 15% below invoice. If they don't follow those guidelines then the dealer is on the hook for Msrp and they will lose allocation.

But it doesn't seem like the case. They made it a limited edition numbered car that (imho) most all dealers will be selling it before or right after they get it.
No, that's not the case. The dealer's are going to just get the car if they qualify, they don't even order them. There are no restrictions and can be sold as soon as they come in even though those are not the wishes of GM. There is no discount to the dealer for taking the car and there is no demo allowance paid to the dealer for keeping it on display.

Dave
Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by jkcam6017

The dealer pays regular price for this car just like the rest. I'm sure some dealers are not in a financial situation that they can sit on a car and will sell it quick. Other dealers will get "stock" inventory sooner than others as well and can sell the Premiere Edition since they have other cars to show. It will vary from dealer to dealer.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Actually, we got to see this combination at Pocono Raceway and I was shocked how much I liked it! If you told me about the combo before I saw it in person I would have had the same reaction!

I wouldn't mind stocking this combination except I'm still trying to gauge how many 3LT vs 2LT we're going to stock.

Dave
You could put it over by that yellow/red convertible in you showed me in the corner when I visited you a few years ago

You know how much respect I have for you and your organization Dave. Thanks for the support you are providing for us.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by jschindler
You could put it over by that yellow/red convertible in you showed me in the corner when I visited you a few years ago

You know how much respect I have for you and your organization Dave. Thanks for the support you are providing for us.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I wonder why one on line announcement of the premier edition had this to say...."GM reps said interested buyers should contact local dealers to purchase one of the limited-edition Stingrays"... if the car was intended to sit in the dealers' showroom for the tire kickers to see/ touch?

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/g...tml/?a=viewall
Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I wonder why one on line announcement of the premier edition had this to say...."GM reps said interested buyers should contact local dealers to purchase one of the limited-edition Stingrays"... if the car was intended to sit in the dealers' showroom for the tire kickers to see/ touch?

That is not a quote from a GM rep nor is it from a GM news release.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Guess what? It's a car and car dealers will sell it! I don't think anyone said they plan on putting it in a glass bubble and storing if forever. Eventually they will all get sold. How and when is up to the dealers who get them. I'm sure there are some dealers who will sell it as soon as it hits and I'm sure there are some dealers who are going to ask and maybe even get over sticker on it.

And guess what else? Good for them! If a person wants it that bad and they are willing to pay, than this is America and they can. But I fail to see the gun pointing at yours or anyone elses' head forcing them to even look at this car let alone buy one!

Judging on the number of phone calls and emails I have been getting asking about the availability of this car I'm sure there are dealer who will sell it fast and which they had more. But it's up to the dealer as to whether he will show it as GM hopes or sell it right away. This is American and the dealer has as much of a right to do that as you do to complain about it!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Having a car in the showroom that's not for sale is not good either. When the new Camaro first came out, I wanted one. I went to my local Chevy dealer and they had a black one in the showroom. I asked how much, I was excited! They quickly said "the Camaro is not for sale". I never went back and I never did get a Camaro. My point is, if someone wants to buy a car, the dealer should sell it to them, regardless what GM hopes they will do with it.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by proexpert
Having a car in the showroom that's not for sale is not good either. When the new Camaro first came out, I wanted one. I went to my local Chevy dealer and they had a black one in the showroom. I asked how much, I was excited! They quickly said "the Camaro is not for sale". I never went back and I never did get a Camaro. My point is, if someone wants to buy a car, the dealer should sell it to them, regardless what GM hopes they will do with it.
Well, I can see you point, particularly if that's how they said it. But if they explained that they were using this car to help you order your own custom Vette or went through all of their available inbound inventory and used that car to show the differences, most people would be OK with it. It really depends on how you are treated when you're actually there. But, I do understand what you are saying.

Dave
Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
That is not a quote from a GM rep nor is it from a GM news release.
Where is it said that it is a GM news release or a direct quote. It is funny how the info they have reads exactly the same as all the other magazines, blogs, etc have reported. just like it came from the GM news release. I am just the messenger as to what was posted on the web. They said a GM rep said.....!!!!!!!

Are you claiming that you know what was said and by whom? Were you there?

How can you say with any authority, as to what was said and by whom, as if everything you post comes directly from GM to you in an official memo.LOL
Old 07-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Where is it said that it is a GM news release or a direct quote. It is funny how the info they have reads exactly the same as all the other magazines, blogs, etc have reported. just like it came from the GM news release. I am just the messenger as to what was posted on the web. They said a GM rep said.....!!!!!!!

Are you claiming that you know what was said and by whom? Were you there?

How can you say with any authority, as to what was said and by whom, as if everything you post comes directly from GM to you in an official memo.LOL
It probably was a GM rep. If someone asked a GM rep who they would contact about buying a car they would say call a dealer...that usually how it works. Maybe you should read my above post or at least stop ignoring it.

Dave
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Dave,

When are you going to update your website to build and price 2014?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Dave,

When are you going to update your website to build and price 2014?
Soon. To be honest I wanted to handle serious inquiries when we first started taking orders and that's what we've been focused on. As soon as our current order rate slows down a bit I'll take a day to get that up and running. Of course, if I stopped hanging out on the forum I'd probably have more time...

See, it's all your fault Ed!!!

Quick Reply: The reasons behind the 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition