Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transparent Smoked Roof?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:21 PM
drtonyprimo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transparent Smoked Roof?

My last Corvette was a 2000 Vert. So I'm not familiar with this roof?
I was notified by Criswell that my order will be placed next week (#12)!

Anyone that has this Transparent Roof on their 2013's or earlier...... Can you give me the 411 on it???

I plan on ordering only one (1) Roof........ And I want to order the "right" one!

From the pictures so far...... I really like the Xposed carbon fiber with the body colored sides (I'm ordering a TORCH RED exterior). BUT LIKE THE THOUGHT OF LIGHT COMING THROUGH THE TRANSPARENT ROOF!!!

Those that have it....... In addition to whatever you can tell me about your opinions of it........also......would you order it again???

Thanks!!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:24 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonard J. Plaitano
I plan on ordering only one (1) Roof........ And I want to order the "right" one!
I thought to get any roof other than the body colored roof you had to get (2) roofs? I could be mistaken.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 PM
brightonvette
Instructor

I have the smoked blue transparent roof on my C5. Love it. It can get warm in the direct sun, but I added a dot-matrix film to cut down on the heat. Stays in place, easy to remove when it gets cooler. The light comes thru either way and no glare.

DocHoliday suggests you have to get 2 roofs, I don't think so. The Lexan roof is an option for $995 and you only get that roof, not the body color also. That option is available, but at additional cost beyond the Lexan $995.

You asked would I get it again. Yes, my C7 will have one. Will give up the NPP for the roof.

Congrats on your order going in, the rest of us should be so lucky.

Last edited by brightonvette; 06-29-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 PM
RxCritical
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

I have both roofs on my 09. I much prefer the solid one, especially in the summer to cut down the heat. The only time I used the transparent one was for a couple of months in the winter.
But then again I'm not a big fan of sunroof's either so YMMV!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

not on the c6 (convertible now), but on other corvettes I've had the clear roof and solid roof. used the solid roof for a few months but got the clear roof out and installed. bought the dot matrix thing mentioned above (about 25) from Mid America, and it is static cling. reduces heat supposedly about 40% or so. worked well for me. I'd do it again if I had a coupe but I hope I never do have a coupe (like convertibles more).
Old 06-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

RPO CC3 is the order code for the transparent roof (single roof). It is $995.

I had dual roofs on my 98 C5 and rarely used the transparent one. Heat gain in the Texas sun was intolerable. I'll never get the transparent roof again.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I thought to get any roof other than the body colored roof you had to get (2) roofs? I could be mistaken.
No, you can get the translucent panel in place of the standard painted panel if you wish. On the C7, the option code is CC3 and M.S.R.P. is $995.

To the OP, here's something to consider: While I don't know if it will be the same on the C7, on the C6 there's no way to buy a painted panel as a complete unit after the fact. The only way to get one (if the car wasn't originally equipped with it) is to have a dealer's parts department order all of the individual pieces, paint the outer panel, and then assemble everything. The cost for all of this is typically around $2600. The translucent panel (C6), on the other hand, can be bought as a complete unit for around $1100. Lesson: If you think you'll ever want a painted panel, order your car with it; you should be able to buy a translucent one later for a reasonable price. What I don't know, though, is whether or not unpainted CF panels will be available through parts departments as complete units; I'm guessing not but that's just a guess.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:20 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is to take the standard painted roof on delivery and down the road if you want the lexan clear roof...they will be available for sale for 600 dollars in the parts for sale section of this site.

Also if that doesn't work out which it would....you can always Oder a lexan only portion of the roof and just have the hardware swapped over..

I do think a vendor will eventually offer up the painted spears for the lexan roof which would in my opinion be the best combination...(especially on torch red)

I'll go standard and save the grand....

Storing two tops in the house is a pain..as they are quite delicate. (Scratch )
Old 06-30-2013, 09:34 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JudgeNjury
My suggestion is to take the standard painted roof on delivery and down the road if you want the lexan clear roof...they will be available for sale for 600 dollars in the parts for sale section of this site.

Good information, thanks for that.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM
C7 101 car
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the transparent roof on my C5, It let in way too much heat on any sunny day.

You asked would I get it again...No never again.
I ordered my C7 with the painted roof.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Mike S
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had both roofs on my C5, but rarely used the transparent roof. Too hot here in Florida.

I ordered only the solid roof when I placed the order for my '05 C6, but the solid roof was on constraint (remember the separation problems?). As a result, I ended up with only the transparent roof.

Too hot in the summer and it squeaked. Purchased an aftermarket fitted insert that attached with suction cups to keep out the heat. That worked OK, but still had the squeaks and the interior is not as quiet with the transparent roof only.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to drive my dad's 85 with a transparent roof. Loved it. Especially on colder nights it was nice to still have that open feeling without freezing.

I ordered the body color roof and transparent roof. I liked them both enough and living in LA with the weird weather patterns, the transparent roof will only get used in the fall and winter. The body color one will keep the heat out in the summer.

Think about it like this: If it's nice out, you can always take the top off. It doesn't get any more transparent than that.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Premmer
Instructor

Originally Posted by brightonvette
I have the smoked blue transparent roof on my C5. Love it. It can get warm in the direct sun, but I added a dot-matrix film to cut down on the heat. Stays in place, easy to remove when it gets cooler. The light comes thru either way and no glare.
Is this the material you are referring to?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:45 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JudgeNjury

Also if that doesn't work out which it would....you can always Oder a lexan only portion of the roof and just have the hardware swapped over..

I do think a vendor will eventually offer up the painted spears for the lexan roof which would in my opinion be the best combination...(especially on torch red)

I'll go standard and save the grand....

That would be great if the spears are released after market for the glass roof ...that's really the look I'm going for but love the light in on the interior....My feeling is ...especially with the black interior the cabin will be like a dark cave without the glass top
Old 06-30-2013, 03:52 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

I live in California, so we get plenty of sun. I have had the translucent top for all four of my Vettes, two C5's, a Z51 C6 and now my 2012 GS. The C5 tops did let too much heat in on extremely warm days, but that isn't the case with the C6 tops... We have the color-matched tops for both C6's and never use them.

When we order our C7 next year, it will be with the translucent top only as we just don't need the solid top.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM
brightonvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Premmer
Is this the material you are referring to?

Yes it is. Got mine from Corvette Central via mail after seeing it at a vendor display at Corvettes on Woodward. It is custom cut for your model and comes in a reusable rolled tube. Around $20-$25 if I recall. It works as advertised.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Premmer
Instructor

Originally Posted by brightonvette
Yes it is. Got mine from Corvette Central via mail after seeing it at a vendor display at Corvettes on Woodward. It is custom cut for your model and comes in a reusable rolled tube. Around $20-$25 if I recall. It works as advertised.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Transparent Smoked Roof?

Old 06-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I only have the Lexan roof ony '03 but wish I had a solid top for the summer. On days that are moderate in temp though, I would run the see through one on the car.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 AM
drtonyprimo
Racer

Thanks guys for all your opinions!

I decided to go with only the exposed carbon fiber & red body color. From looking at pictures and your comments...... IMHO looks the best on the Torch Red..... And when I want to see sunlight...... I'll just take off the roof!!!

My order is going in this week! #12 on Criswell's list!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I have both on my 2012 GS the clear was on one time the balance has been the painted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transparent Smoked Roof?