Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The C7 Corvette's connected future...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The C7 Corvette's connected future...

Like it or not, here it comes!

Five Questions with Mary Chan

Wed, Jul 3 2013
DETROIT – Mary Chan joined General Motors 13 months ago in the newly created role of President of Global Connected Consumer. She has responsibility over global infotainment as well as OnStar’s global business operations, reporting to GM Vice Chairman Steve Girsky.

Chan, who joined GM from Dell Inc., where she was senior vice president and general manager of Enterprise Mobility Solutions & Services, has a background in the consumer electronics/ enterprise solutions business and experience in the global wireless networks space. She is driving the set up and execution of GM’s strategic global infotainment plans, including OnStar’s global expansion, and the integration of all in-vehicle connectivity services and solutions across the GM vehicle brands.

You’ve spent most of your career in the wireless industry. Why did you choose to join GM? What is the biggest challenge you’re facing?

Our collective challenge is the speed at which we can bring to market the connected functionalities that our customers expect in their next vehicle purchase and we must do it well, with the best quality and user-experience possible. We really need to aggressively work as a team, across GM, to lead the industry in this area.

I worked in the wireless industry for 24 years before joining GM. I covered the area of wireless infrastructure and consumer services and led the early deployment of the wireless broadband technology known as 4G LTE.

It’s exciting to be able to leverage the wireless ecosystem here at GM with our connected car initiative. With OnStar’s experience in connected services, GM has a unique opportunity to create a differentiated consumer ownership experience for automobiles.

The Global Connected Consumer business group that you lead combines connectivity, telematics and infotainment. What’s the future of OnStar in this new environment?

OnStar’s future is brighter than it’s ever been - it remains the core enabler for GM’s expanded offering of connected services. We pioneered the connected car 17 years ago with OnStar and our strategy continues to center on built-in connectivity. The broader Global Connected Consumer organization at GM allows us to combine advancements in wireless connectivity and the power of OnStar, with new innovations in infotainment and telematics to engineer tomorrow’s connected car.

We’ve invested in high-speed connections across GM vehicles and in delivering an application framework for collaborative innovation with third-party developers. These investments will allow us to continually deliver new capabilities that not only build on OnStar’s heritage in safety, security and telematics, but also offer new options for entertainment, information and efficiency.

Our customers tell us that safety and security are the most important services we provide, but there is also strong interest in a wide range of other services that connectivity makes possible. We can deliver a broad range of enhanced offerings through the connectivity and developer collaboration that we’re enabling today. Our goal is to expand the suite of connected services offered in our vehicles with careful consideration to make sure these new features and services are relevant, add value for customers and are seamlessly integrated so drivers can stay focused on the road.

What is the Global Connected Consumer’s long-term vision for the connected car? Why does it matter for consumers? For GM?

We believe that built-in, high-speed connectivity will be a major competitive advantage in the near future. We’re confident that consumers want and need the types of services that can only be delivered through a truly connected vehicle, as opposed to one that depends on a third-party connection. Our unprecedented commitment to bringing that connectivity to GM vehicles puts us ahead of the competition.

Our job at GCC is to realize the potential of this investment. We’re doing this in two ways. First, we’re identifying and building the applications and capabilities that make our cars better and enable GM owners to do new things or to do things better. Second, we’re fostering an ecosystem of developers and third parties that will work with us to turn additional potential applications into realities.

For example, connected applications could one day allow us to increase fuel economy, decrease vehicle maintenance costs and provide more accessibility and choices to customize the vehicle after purchase. The connected car is all about giving people choices, adding convenience and doing it in a safe and simple way.

Couldn’t you innovate just as much by using the connectivity from a smartphone or tablet, rather than a built-in connection?

Built-in, high-speed connectivity is critical because of its ability to use vehicle information and connect remotely. This does not mean customers cannot still use their devices and integrate them. We will offer both options, but the bigger value and opportunity is with the built-in connection.

Down the line, we are looking at extending our connection beyond the radio and infotainment system, using data from other sources within the vehicle. GM is uniquely positioned to offer apps that improve safety, streamline navigation, automate tasks for the driver and enhance entertainment for passengers when the connection is built-in.

Our flexible application framework will allow our customers to add new apps to their vehicles, once they are validated and approved by GM, so that they can personalize new features and updates after the initial vehicle purchase. This will be done through a GM App Shop embedded in the vehicle’s infotainment system. By working with the developer community, we can investigate what apps people want access to in the vehicle and how to enhance the driving experience.

What is the one app that you would love to have in your vehicle?

I wish my car could notify my family of my estimated time of arrival as I am driving to pick up my kids. The car should also automatically adjust the music when I have my kids in the car.

I also would love my car to sync with my calendar when I am away from my vehicle. Scheduled trips from my calendar combined with my personalized driving patterns could be used to predict when I need to fill my gas or charge my vehicle.

When I travel out of town, my preference settings and music will follow me when I drive another GM car.

These are just a few of the possibilities. One thing I am sure of is that connectivity in the vehicle will unleash a new era of creativity just as it has with smartphones, tablets and PCs.

About General Motors Co.
General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM, TSX: GMM) and its partners produce vehicles in 30 countries, and the company has leadership positions in the world's largest and fastest-growing automotive markets. GM, its subsidiaries and joint venture entities sell vehicles under the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Baojun, Buick, GMC, Holden, Isuzu, Jiefang, Opel, Vauxhall and Wuling brands. More information on the company and its subsidiaries, including OnStar, a global leader in vehicle safety, security and information services, can be found at http://www.gm.com.
# # #

About OnStar LLC
OnStar, LLC (OnStar) is a wholly owned subsidiary of GM Holdings LLC (“GM”). Along with its affiliate Shanghai OnStar Telematics Co. Ltd (a joint venture involving OnStar, Shanghai General Motors Co., Ltd (SGM) and Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC)), OnStar serves more than 6.5 million subscribers in the U.S, Canada and China. OnStar is a provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology and is available on 39 GM branded 2013 model year vehicles. OnStar's key services include automatic crash response, stolen vehicle assistance, remote door unlock, turn-by-turn navigation, vehicle diagnostics and hands-free calling.

Last edited by BlueOx; 07-05-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:08 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Oh, cr@p................. Hopefully it's only an option.

"........could be used to predict when I need to fill my gas (sic ) or charge my vehicle."

Really? I can do that now on both my C6 and my Volt. What kind of moron needs that?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 07-05-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:17 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Oh, cr@p................. Hopefully it's only an option.

"........could be used to predict when I need to fill my gas (sic ) or charge my vehicle."

Really? I can do that now on both my C6 and my Volt. What kind of moron needs that?
Like I said...like it or not.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I don't need or want any of it...on any vehicle.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,357 Posts

"I wish my car could notify my family of my estimated time of arrival as I am driving to pick up my kids. The car should also automatically adjust the music when I have my kids in the car."

I hope they don't "girlify" every GM car with this soccer mom garbage. This is useless.

"I also would love my car to sync with my calendar when I am away from my vehicle."

Isn't this called a cell phone?

How about just getting the android cell phone screen up on the dash touchscreen wirelessly? That's all we need, and then go from there.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 07-05-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...how about just hang-up and drive ?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Oh how I hate to hear that pathetic corporate crap..."we have to work as a team" BS....I am so glad I am out of there.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:51 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Good gravy ... how many incomprehensible pseudo-MBA buzzwords can you get into one press release?

As far as I can tell, what she's trying to say is: GM car are going to have ever more capable electronics that you can do ever more neat stuff with, and OnStar is the key to it all.

That's wonderful for the millions of appliance vehicles that GM can spread development costs over, but as we already learned the hard way with the C6, it's doubtful how much of it will filter down to Bowling Green's trickle of toy cars. Hopefully I'll be happy with next year's electronics, because they're likely to be the same through the last year of the C7.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:05 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The growing advancement of Big Brother, Tag You're It.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:52 AM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcooper
The growing advancement of Big Brother, Tag You're It.
Built-in, high-speed connectivity is critical because of its ability to use vehicle information and connect remotely.

I get the feeling that the Government, Police, and MAINLY the Insurance companies will want to use the vehicle info to refuse claims.

Call me old fashion and at 53 yrs old, I like the old ***** and buttons to control the radio and air conditioning myself, not having to go through so many touch screen menus just to turn on the a/c or dvd, or whatever.

MB Command, BMW IDrive, Audi MMI all have that and they are crap.

She talks about having apps, and then mentions security and safety.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

People like gadgets, even poor ones and useless ones. Ask the late Steve Jobs.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:46 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

RPO code: N5A

Old 07-06-2013, 03:17 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
RPO code: N5A

That's what it's all about. Sick stuff...
Old 07-06-2013, 05:03 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Just a bunch of answers to questions never asked.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:01 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys have less to worry about than you think. It's not there to spy and it's not there to give insurance companies or police information.

First off, that's an invasion of privacy. And even if they could tap dance around that, they would have to warn you that the connection could and may be used for that.

Secondly, if the news hit that it was even a possibility that their cars are "tattling" on their owners, GM would see a massive plummet in sales. Imagine, even if the system didn't tattle for going 10 MPH over the speed limit, people would be worried that it does. Like no cop will pull you over for 5 MPH over, people still think that when a cop is around you have to do EXACTLY the speed limit.

So that won't happen.

Also, GM stated that their new OnStar system will be using AT&T's LTE instead of Verizon's CDMA connection that it's been using. So they're going to be using that in any situation. The difference is that GM is going to attempt to cover some of that cost by offering additional services to run over that connection (including a WiFi hotspot) for an additional monthly fee. That's all this is. It has nothing to do with spying.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:12 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Any system that can detect where you are, lock and unlock your car, start or shut down your car, monitor your conversations, and know if you've had an accident, is an invasion of privacy. And that is just OnStar.

You have no choice in whether you get OnStar or not.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Michael A
"I wish my car could notify my family of my estimated time of arrival as I am driving to pick up my kids. The car should also automatically adjust the music when I have my kids in the car."

How about just getting the android cell phone screen up on the dash touchscreen wirelessly? That's all we need, and then go from there.

Michael

Notify my family I am on my way.....ya, that is unnecessary.

But make the phone idea even simpler. Instead of just a charging spot, plug in the phone and have it display its screen on the console screen. Navigation, calling, appointments, syncing....all that technology is already done. Just point the output to another screen. Done, no engineering required.

Get notified of new replies

To The C7 Corvette's connected future...

Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Pull the fuse !
Old 07-06-2013, 09:39 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Pull the fuse !
I could be wrong on this, but I would imagine doing that might just turn off your entire console screen. I would be surprised if the Internet connection has its own fuse independent from everything.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:44 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I could be wrong on this, but I would imagine doing that might just turn off your entire console screen. I would be surprised if the Internet connection has its own fuse independent from everything.
OnStar has it's own circuit in the C6. I see no reason for that to change in the C7. Guess we'll know for sure though when the car shows up on dealer lots.

Quick Reply: The C7 Corvette's connected future...