C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YES! Young people are buying Stingray's!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 AM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts
Default YES! Young people are buying Stingray's!

While on location at this past weekends Arthritis show, I was excited to meet a couple guys,
young guys that have Stingrays on order with us.

I appreciate them making the drive to see the car in person and thanks to plant manager
Dave Tatman we had a Stingray to sit in!

What an incredible day......

Congratulations to these guys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coming up

You'll have a chance to meet Kirk Bennion in Ohio at the Corvettes at Corsa show,
brought to you by Corvette Cleveland,

Coughlin will be there as a sponsor as well - FREE POSTERS!

SUNDAY JULY 28th
140 Blaze Industrial Pkwy,. Berea, Ohio 44017
SHOW PDF HERE!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

LOL...how ironic...at an Arthritis show!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
you beat me to it...

Perhaps if we want to attract a younger audience to team corvette, we should disassociate corvette with Arthritis shows or any show with Flexeril as its sponsor...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next show the C7 will be featured at: The Kidney Dialysis 2013 BBQ

Followed by the 87th annual Adult Depends Chili Cook-off, with live performance by Neil Diamond

Last edited by WhiteAndBlackC7; 07-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:05 PM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet all of the 18-30 year olds are just lining up with cash in hand to buy a 70,000 stingray as a toy.

Please GM just let this crap about selling the stingray to the younger crowd just go away already.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 PM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettelover69
I bet all of the 18-30 year olds are just lining up with cash in hand to buy a 70,000 stingray as a toy.

Please GM just let this crap about selling the stingray to the younger crowd just go away already.
I must be the old guy then.. I am right above that 30yr old mark, I am 32. This will be my 3rd vehicle (weekend toy).. Already have a Chevy Silverado truck and BMW X5 SUV... a 2 seater sports car like the Stingray is the perfect edition to my collection of toys, next to my Harley and Searay

I LOVE this car. And to think, I was going to buy a 2013 SRT Viper instead.. when I saw this car, I HAD TO BUY IT. No other Corvette I cared about, you see C5 and C6's on every corner. When that happens to the C7 in a few years I will sell it I am sure, but for now.. its the perfect car for me in every way (although AWD would make it better but I am cool with RWD) BEST PART is the 3-Dimensional tail lights, the circle ones are the mark of old fashioned styling. Those round tail lights will now be known as "The old Corvette"
Old 07-16-2013, 02:20 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteAndBlackC7
I must be the old guy then.. I am right above that 30yr old mark, I am 32. This will be my 3rd vehicle (weekend toy).. Already have a Chevy Silverado truck and BMW X5 SUV... a 2 seater sports car like the Stingray is the perfect edition to my collection of toys, next to my Harley and Searay

I LOVE this car. And to think, I was going to buy a 2013 SRT Viper instead.. when I saw this car, I HAD TO BUY IT. No other Corvette I cared about, you see C5 and C6's on every corner. When that happens to the C7 in a few years I will sell it I am sure, but for now.. its the perfect car for me in every way (although AWD would make it better but I am cool with RWD) BEST PART is the 3-Dimensional tail lights, the circle ones are the mark of old fashioned styling. Those round tail lights will now be known as "The old Corvette"
C7 over a 13 Viper? Really?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
jspridge
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here we go...
Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

How well did the taller "youngster" fit in the driver seat?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:30 PM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
How well did the taller "youngster" fit in the driver seat?

he did fine , and I am just short
Old 07-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well let's put it this way, if all the old timers don't buy anymore Vette's the young guys will all have collector items for sales won't even reach 2500.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 PM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by sam90lx
C7 over a 13 Viper? Really?
Hell yes... There was an almost $45K price difference between the two (after tax+license) and there is no way I can justify paying $45K more for an SRT Viper. Performance is not everything, the C7 is plenty fast for me. I can buy the C7 and spend $45K on something better.. plus, the sharp lines of the C7 look much better to me than the rounded lines of the SRT. I loved the SRT when it first came out, but the C7 is a more refined/chiseled version of it.

Both are American cars, theres no way I will pay that much more for a Dodge vs. Chevy.

If getting into the price range the SRT Viper is, I may as well pay the $20K more and get a nice used Ferrari or Lambo.. I just dont want to spend that kind of cash, I need to put my kids through college one day! LOL.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:36 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

I think it's funny that so many people on this forum think it's inconceivable for young people to afford a C7. Most people graduate College at 22, many of them making between 40K - 90K straight out of school. Give them 8 years of raises and you still think a $55K sports car is out of the question?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Hell yes... There was an almost $45K price difference between the two (after tax+license) and there is no way I can justify paying $45K more for an SRT Viper. Performance is not everything, the C7 is plenty fast for me. I can buy the C7 and spend $45K on something better.. plus, the sharp lines of the C7 look much better to me than the rounded lines of the SRT. I loved the SRT when it first came out, but the C7 is a more refined/chiseled version of it.

Both are American cars, theres no way I will pay that much more for a Dodge vs. Chevy.

If getting into the price range the SRT Viper is, I may as well pay the $20K more and get a nice used Ferrari or Lambo.. I just dont want to spend that kind of cash, I need to put my kids through college one day! LOL.
Got it...in the other post I didn't see that it was about the $$$'s.
Money being no issue.....Viper all day!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Tnvolrx
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

26 y.o. here with the income to purchase a 70-100k sports car... C7 absolutely appeals to my generation and myself esp., and compared to my other choices (viper,porsche)- no doubt in my mind I'm getting a C7 - just gonna wait to configure one and figure out if i want a vert or coupe

If the younger gen was GM's aim- then they've hit the nail on the head
Old 07-16-2013, 02:43 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of you are taking the word "sell" a bit too literally. GM wants to attract a slightly younger demographic, but they want the car to be something the younger generations aspire to own. They want kids/teens/young adults to see the Corvette as something they want or would purchase when they have the means.

The current average Corvette customer is something like a 55 year old male. They want to start getting those late 30s/40s customers why typically buy BMW, Porsche, etc.

I'm 32, have owned a few C5s (purchased my first at 22) and want a C7 badly. However, the desire to move into my next house and start a family currently trumps that desire.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:48 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by vettelover69

The average age of a Corvette buyer during the C6 generation was 55 and getting older. Many folks, once they retire do not have the same level of income. Additonally, for example, there is a person in my Corvette club who will be 80 this September, and while he has bought many new Corvettes over the years, when I asked him last week if he was buying a C7 he said, "I am just not driving as much as I used to, and my C6 has only 9,000 miles on it, no to our buying a C7."

If Corvette does not attrack younger buyers with the C7, and double average sales the last four years -- not just the first year but the average throughout the entire C7 run, there might not be a C8.

I am 66 years old, getting a C7 Z06 (replacing my C6 Z06) and applaud the the C7's newer/fresher styling, and am thrilled we are getting younger buyers.

Get notified of new replies

To YES! Young people are buying Stingray's!

Old 07-16-2013, 02:56 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Want to bet they are all ordering automatics.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Got it...in the other post I didn't see that it was about the $$$'s.
Money being no issue.....Viper all day!
If money wasnt an issue I wouldnt buy either - I would buy a Ferrari, Lambo, or McLaren trust me.

This isnt bragging, it is to put everything into perspective. I am not a rich guy at all.. My income is $325K-350K/yr BUT- I have a mortgage, 2 kids, and my wife stays at home.. I pay for kids schooling/clothes/food/insurance/etc. AND I have to save for retirement. On top of that, I have to pay taxes of course. Even then, buying a car like this is a big decision. If I was single/no kids of course the situation would be different.. id have my Lambo and my life would be different. For us family guys, it takes a LOT more $$ to make a Corvette purchase to happen.. esp. when you have to convince your wife on why you must have a 2 seater sports car

In the grand scheme of things, it doesnt matter how much you make.. its how much you can AFFORD after all the necessities and important things in life are.

Age is nothing. Its affordability. Sure I can buy a bigger house.. but I live modestly and save, so I choose the Corvette instead of a Ferrari because I want to retire one day and have a cushion. Not live to the max of my income levels. Every one is different and is buying a Corvette for different reasons. I have a single friend who makes 1/3rd of my pay, and he has a Ferrari F430 and a Porsche Cayenne GTS, and spends money like its going out of style.. but he doesnt have the financial obligations as me (he even rents his condo).

No one should compare situations and look at age or financial ability here. There is one common denominator here though: The C7 styling attracts those under 35 more than the C5 or C6 EVER did. And this is coming from over a dozen friends and family who I have shown this car to, and I have shown them the SRT Viper as well- only 1 person has told me the Viper looks better.

The C7 Stingray is the BEST value for the dollar, in every way shape and form. Done deal for me. And I save cash. Win/Win.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

when I saw this car, I HAD TO BUY IT. No other Corvette I cared about, you see C5 and C6's on every corner. When that happens to the C7 in a few years I will sell it I am sure, but for now.. its the perfect car for me in every way
I never understand this logic. I can understand selling it to buy something you like better, but simply selling it because many people have it never makes sense to me.

Quick Reply: YES! Young people are buying Stingray's!