Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Though you meant a road course...
hahaha its cool makes more sense now
Old 07-27-2013, 01:18 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
I haven't seen any hit 119 yet. Link? And since my GS went (practically) 116, 117 is very disappointing. 3.8? With no rollout is getting there, but only have seen one say that (without the rollout) but with the others in the 3.9-4.1 range, again, not impressed.
I believe it was autoweek that measured 12.0 s and 119 mph.

This thread is the first I've seen of anyone actually complaining about the known C7 performance numbers... I'm kind of shocked, really. It's better than any base Corvette before it has been, and it's still the best performance bargain in the world (new).

The MSRP is 5K lower than the outgoing GS while it outdoes it in literally every single category inside and out. You also have to realize that when it comes to performance, we're starting to hit the law of diminishing returns... Cars aren't going to be able to keep getting significantly faster AND more efficient every generation forever.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm gonna give you C7 boys something to n^t over

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/corvette/2012/?sub=z06

The Z06 is powered by a 7.0-liter V8 that produces 505 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque. We found that it hits 60 mph in 3.9 seconds. Fuel economy is again pretty good at 15/24/18. The ZR1 gets a supercharged version of the 6.2-liter V8 that cranks out 638 hp and 604 lb-ft. This is a massive amount of power, so much so that no amount of rubber can appropriately cope. As such, its 0-60 time is only 0.1 second less than the Z06 even if it actually feels much quicker.

So the C7 is just as fast as the ZR1 and faster than the Z06 according to Edmunds

Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

I'm gonna give you C7 boys something to n^t over

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/corvette/2012/?sub=z06

The Z06 is powered by a 7.0-liter V8 that produces 505 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque. We found that it hits 60 mph in 3.9 seconds. Fuel economy is again pretty good at 15/24/18. The ZR1 gets a supercharged version of the 6.2-liter V8 that cranks out 638 hp and 604 lb-ft. This is a massive amount of power, so much so that no amount of rubber can appropriately cope. As such, its 0-60 time is only 0.1 second less than the Z06 even if it actually feels much quicker.

So the C7 is just as fast as the ZR1 and faster than the Z06 according to Edmunds

was it raining during the testing?
Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Reliability, fuel economy, durability, headroom for future increases in no particular order.

The Corvette has increased base hp at a pretty consistent basis since the C5.

C5: 345hp
C6: 400hp
C7: 455hp

That's pretty good considering the main target for the Corvette team, the 911, has gone from 296hp to 345hp in the same time span from 996 to 991.
Actually you should have started with the C4. First year base hp was 205. Ended the run with a base of 300hp. You are showing an increase of 55hp per generation. I guess that means the C8 should start with 510hp
Old 07-27-2013, 01:29 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I believe it was autoweek that measured 12.0 s and 119 mph.

This thread is the first I've seen of anyone actually complaining about the known C7 performance numbers... I'm kind of shocked, really. It's better than any base Corvette before it has been, and it's still the best performance bargain in the world (new).

The MSRP is 5K lower than the outgoing GS while it outdoes it in literally every single category inside and out. You also have to realize that when it comes to performance, we're starting to hit the law of diminishing returns... Cars aren't going to be able to keep getting significantly faster AND more efficient every generation forever.
Sounds like they just took GMs word on their numbers.

Again, I am complaining because we were told it was going to be faster 0-60 ("well under 4 seconds") and that would of course have subsequently made everything else faster. (I explained it a little better in one of my earlier posts).

Again (in an earlier post) price is incredible. I agree on the diminishing returns and I think we are getting close on the getting them faster part but nowhere near the efficiency 'plateau'.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:40 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Sounds like they just took GMs word on their numbers.

Again, I am complaining because we were told it was going to be faster 0-60 ("well under 4 seconds") and that would of course have subsequently made everything else faster. (I explained it a little better in one of my earlier posts).

Again (in an earlier post) price is incredible. I agree on the diminishing returns and I think we are getting close on the getting them faster part but nowhere near the efficiency 'plateau'.
These numbers are very early testing at a GM proving ground, Edmunds said they were given a half hour for their acceleration testing by GM. I want to see what the mags can do in their regular testing venues when they have more time with the car. I'll be surprised if they don't improve the numbers.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:42 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Do you know where I have to give it to Chevy?

That they even MADE this car at all. I would have thought with all the financial problems, political correctness out there, new regulations and restrictions, fuel mileage fleet standards, and the amount of effort and investment it would take to make a new 2 seat sports car that only 900 dealers will sell about 20,000 units a year, someone must have said "are you freakin' crazy?"

Luckily, someone at Chevy stood up and said "yes I am and we are building this car -- and building it right".

If people are Corvette lovers they should be glad the C7 Corvette is even here and alive to begin with... Look at the trouble the car companies and economy was in a few years ago... The Corvette could have been killed off like Pontiac... But GM decided to keep it alive, and introduce an entire brand new model... They should be given credit because they did a good job and kept the Corvette alive.

But even so there still seems to be a lot of "hate" for the car by some of the same people... Why? I don't get it. No one is forced to buy a C7. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Problem solved (very easy)...

If you don't like the C7, there are still brand new C6's sitting on the lots collecting dust that people can buy (yes, yes, we know, but only if they give you tens of thousands in discounts )... Seems like every other week the haters pick something new about the C7 to "hate on". What will be the next problem, the C7 collects to many bugs on the front end? ... Its kinda funny, all this "hate and stress" over this one little car . Its makes you wonder if its really "hate" or "jealousy"... Either way don't let it stress you out so much, its just a toy.

Be happy for your fellow owners that are getting a new toy.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Why is the C7 not demolishing the 1/4?

Camaro ZL1 fills the role as a stop light warrior. The Vette is targeting people who actually enjoy turning every once in a while. The new Vette will humiliate most cars on road courses and twisties due to the POWER AND HANDLING. On top of this the car is more approachable as a true track day car because it's a more neutral handling car than the outgoing C6 platform.

Drag racing will never go away but the allure of the sport is dwindling due to the fact that the Gran Turismo generation are growing up and beginning to be able to afford cars like the Vette. I don't mean to bash on the older folks who love Vettes, but you aren't the target audience anymore. Chevy has finally realized that it needs to target young professionals, thus the edgy controversial styling, the technology ****, and focusing on handling characteristics before straight line number crunching.

My generation is typically more inclined to go to an AutoX event on any given weekend than the local drag strip with a few actual race track visits thrown in here and there.

Sure older folks will still buy large numbers of Vettes, but I think the true target audience is the people in the market for something like a Cayman/Boxster or even the BMW M3/Mercedes C63/Audi RS5. The fact that the new Vette is so capable on road course and AutoX venues and looks like an exotic, may just make the C7 the best selling Vette in Chevy's history.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:11 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The new car will be close enough to the C6Z to keep my buttmeter happy and more comfortable. Anyone can spend 20 grand or even less and buy an old 9 second car.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Why is the C7 not demolishing the 1/4?

My generation is typically more inclined to go to an AutoX event on any given weekend than the local drag strip with a few actual race track visits thrown in here and there.....

....The fact that the new Vette is so capable on road course and AutoX venues and looks like an exotic, may just make the C7 the best selling Vette in Chevy's history.
1. The C7 is an improvement on the C6 which was an improvement on a C5 but the fact is they all handle really well. It is not like the previous generations were that much worse. It is simply incremental improvement, just like other brands that will improve with each generation of their cars.

2. I think best selling Corvette ever is getting ahead of yourself a bit. To begin with, the economy will strongly effect sales of these type of cars & I do not see the economy getting so much better in the short term. Secondly, sports cars typically sell well when first released then sales drop as a few years pass. I expect a sales spike for year #1 but after that, it better appeal to an entirely different group than Corvette normally sells to or sales my not be as high as you might expect.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I don't recall anyone at Chevy ever saying "well under 4 secs".

People are talking to themselves too much and believing their own bull.

But if the car went under 2 seconds, some people here would still complain.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:33 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman
The new car will be close enough to the C6Z to keep my buttmeter happy and more comfortable. Anyone can spend 20 grand or even less and buy an old 9 second car.
Yep

Quick Reply: I have to give it to Chevy......