C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The LT1 is severely detuned in stock form.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts
Default The LT1 is severely detuned in stock form.

There are TWO major factors that stick out huge to me that say that the LT1 has been purposely muzzled.

First, the Direct Injection.

Adding Direct Injection to an LS3 all by itself would allow for a 460hp production power output without even thinking twice. The advantages of ignition timing advancement with direct injection make this possible.

Secondly, compression ratio.

The LS3 has a compression raio of 10.7:1

The LT1 has a compression ratio of 11.5:1

That large of a compression ratio increase all by itself on a 6.2 liter V8 would net at least the 30 hp difference between the LT1 and the LS3 in otherwise stock form.

For the LT1, add in other more minor, but important factors, like revised head flow, variable timing (not necessarily a hp increaser), cam profiles and you have an engine that should easily be making 500 horsepower.

Gentlemen, IMO, a custom tuned C7 with an aftermarket intake system alone will put the C7 at over 510 hp.

Apples to Oranges (OHV vs DOHC), but the 5.0 in the Mustang gains nearly 40whp with an intake and tune. The C7 is going to respond even better to the same modifications.

In a few short weeks we will be finding out how close I am to guessing this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see near 450whp with the intake and tune.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...all of which allows Chevy to add power upgrades in the future, as the C7 evolves...
Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
...all of which allows Chevy to add power upgrades in the future, as the C7 evolves...
Yep, probably the second year of the C7 (for sure the 3rd year 2016 models) will probably get a bump up of about 20 to 25HP, like the C5 Z, leaving a lot of PISSED off 2014 first year buyers.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I'm thinking Chevy brings back an upgraded LT1 engine option (75 hp more ?) to be placed
in-between the current C7 base and the likely one future hi-perf. variant C7 model.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
There are TWO major factors that stick out huge to me that say that the LT1 has been purposely muzzled.

Adding Direct Injection to an LS3 all by itself would allow for a 460hp production power output without even thinking twice. The advantages of ignition timing advancement with direct injection make this possible.

That large of a compression ratio increase all by itself on a 6.2 liter V8 would net at least the 30 hp difference between the LT1 and the LS3 in otherwise stock form.

For the LT1, add in other more minor, but important factors, like revised head flow, variable timing (not necessarily a hp increaser), cam profiles and you have an engine that should easily be making 500 horsepower.

Gentlemen, IMO, a custom tuned C7 with an aftermarket intake system alone will put the C7 at over 510 hp.

Apples to Oranges (OHV vs DOHC), but the 5.0 in the Mustang gains nearly 40whp with an intake and tune. The C7 is going to respond even better to the same modifications.

Advancing ignition timing to increase HP is an indication of a poor combustion chamber design and is the wrong approach because it increases negative work...I can assure you the LT1 combustion chamber is at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to the combustion chamber design. The less ignition timing you can run while still building peak cylinder pressure at the optimum point (~ 12° ATDC) will increase HP...DI allows less timing to be run which decreases negative work/increases HP.

A .8 increase in CR (which is not a large increase BTW) will not increase HP by 30 on a 430 HP engine, more like only 8 HP. There are many online calculators that will confirm this, look for them with your favorite search engine.

The cam profile determines the HP capability of an engine...a lot of people are going to be disappointed if they think 455 HP engine will produce 510 HP after a simple tune.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:07 AM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about an ECU flash/tune?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:12 AM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No, it will not. The cylinder head flow from a DOHC set-up is far superior. Therefore, intake and exhaust mods will yield much better gains because of this. All of that power is derived from the flow of the cylinder heads. And an added bonus, DOHC+ boost= Big power, more so than a pushrod.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
The less ignition timing you can run while still building peak cylinder pressure at the optimum point (~ 12° ATDC) will increase HP...DI allows less timing to be run which decreases negative work/increases HP.
I ould argue that the point where maximun HP is reached is 15-17 degrees (rather than 12) ... but I won't beacue without a dyno no one can realy tell.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Yep, probably the second year of the C7 (for sure the 3rd year 2016 models) will probably get a bump up of about 20 to 25HP, like the C5 Z, leaving a lot of PISSED off 2014 first year buyers.
I hear you. I bought an 07 and GM added 30hp in 08.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 AM
pittperson
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If all that's done to the LT1 for more power, from the factory, is a simple tune, then I'll have already enjoyed mine for a year (or two) AND have the ability to pick up that extra power. Won't **** me off at all
Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by BacknBlack
No, it will not. The cylinder head flow from a DOHC set-up is far superior. Therefore, intake and exhaust mods will yield much better gains because of this. All of that power is derived from the flow of the cylinder heads. And an added bonus, DOHC+ boost= Big power, more so than a pushrod.
BnB,

To your point on DOHC, one needs look no further than the 20+ year old LT5 to see how modest upgrades result in pretty impressive power gains.
We have several stock block 5.7L LT5s putting down 450+ whp and 400+rwtq with porting, cam and exhaust upgrades. Displacement increases result in nearly 700hp motors N/A.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
CCDawg69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
I hear you. I bought an 07 and GM added 30hp in 08.
My 06 had 400hp. Plenty enough for me. Didn't **** me off at all as the C6 evolved with more HP. My C7 will have 460hp!! Excited about the 60 hp increase. Could care less if future C7's have more hp in the future.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

you doubled up on one aspect:

Adding Direct Injection to an LS3 all by itself would allow for a 460hp production power output without even thinking twice.

--------------------------------

direct injection alone doesn't increase HP. What one can do with timing and compression ratio changes with direct injection - is where the power increase is coming from.

You're counting the same thing... twice.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Could you download the HPTuners software and go into their C7 file and tell us where to identify this conservative tune?

It is a fascinating file.

Remember that the cam has about 3 degrees less duration on th eintake side than the LS3, IIRC.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is lots of power still on the table, but how much? I'm going to wait and see rather than make guesses. I do think it's funny how people are acting like DOHC is SOOO much better than push rod design. We all know god mad the LS and LT motors
Old 08-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Isn't that what all car makers do? Saves on warranty costs. Folks like us get a detuned car, get a custom tune void the warranty and GM is off scott free. Pretty good idea. Same as the C5 and C6. Nothing new here.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 AM
BacknBlack
Pro

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Isn't that what all car makers do? Saves on warranty costs. Folks like us get a detuned car, get a custom tune void the warranty and GM is off scott free. Pretty good idea. Same as the C5 and C6. Nothing new here.
And along those lines, what if the custom tune unleashes enough power to the point where owners start breaking stuff. Driveline, suspension or what not. Did GM build a vette that can only handle the power it has currently? Maybe that's the reason for the 'reasonable' price?

Get notified of new replies

To The LT1 is severely detuned in stock form.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I know I'm crazy and all, but I would much rather have a 200,000 mile car than 30 more horsepower. 455 is easily enough to get into big trouble. Anything more has got to be for the racers who either run quarters/miles on their spare time, or race public streets.

I may be in the minority on this forum, but probably right in line with the rest of the world. If you're the kind of person that keeps racing slicks handy, the stock form of the car really shouldn't be as important as the potential adjustment cost ratio.

I'm still waiting for restrictions like Japan has. New cars in Japan are limited to IIRC ~110MPH until the GPS detects you're on a race track. Once the GPS unlocks the car, you can really open it up.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

We'll see once they start being tuned. Till then let the rumors fly.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
I know I'm crazy and all, but I would much rather have a 200,000 mile car than 30 more horsepower. 455 is easily enough to get into big trouble. Anything more has got to be for the racers who either run quarters/miles on their spare time, or race public streets.

I may be in the minority on this forum, but probably right in line with the rest of the world. If you're the kind of person that keeps racing slicks handy, the stock form of the car really shouldn't be as important as the potential adjustment cost ratio.

I'm still waiting for restrictions like Japan has. New cars in Japan are limited to IIRC ~110MPH until the GPS detects you're on a race track. Once the GPS unlocks the car, you can really open it up.

Oh boy, wouldn't that suck.

Quick Reply: The LT1 is severely detuned in stock form.