C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is GM or this study right about the buying trends of future car buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Make me wonder why GM designed the C7 for the youngsters(since there are fewer of them with less money) than designing the C7 for the oldsters(since there are more of them with more money, that have been buying the Corvette all along).
I agree. It is a slippery slope for GM. Youngsters don't have as much money, and they have a bad habit of getting drunk and having kids (ooops, did I say that out loud?) and can no longer justify a two seat sports car.

On the other hand, 50+ year olds are getting those pesky kids out of the house and out of college and want to buy something special for themselves.

BTW, the comment "that is what Cadillac is for" holds no water. Corvettes have been sold to older demographics for over 50 years now, so this is not some new revelation.

The market for 2 seat sports cars have been shrinking for years far faster than the general demographic trends. People are moving to sports sedans.
Shrinking for years is out of context. It did not start shrinking until almost exactly five years ago when the sky fell out of the economy and people quit buy all sorts of cars. The Corvette was selling as strong as every until then. The dynamics of why the Corvette sales have not come back up as quickly as the market in general is a very complex discussion.

Last edited by jschindler; 07-29-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I agree. It is a slippery slope for GM. Youngsters don't have as much money, and they have a bad habit of getting drunk and having kids (ooops, did I say that out loud?) and can no longer justify a two seat sports car.

On the other hand, 50+ year olds are getting those pesky kids out of the house and out of college and want to buy something special for themselves.

BTW, the comment "that is what Cadillac is for" holds no water. Corvettes have been sold to older demographics for over 50 years now, so this is not some new revelation.

Shrinking for years is out of context. It did not start shrinking until almost exactly five years ago when the sky fell out of the economy and people quit buy all sorts of cars. The Corvette was selling as strong as every until then. The dynamics of why the Corvette sales have not come back up as quickly as the market in general is a very complex discussion.
We know what happened when they designed a Cadillac for the older farts(or did they market it to the youngsters?). Hard to keep up, with my shrinking grey matter.. Called it a XLR and it's no longer around.

Wasn't the "Cadillac that Zigs" marketed towards the youngsters? It flopped also.

I see a five to one ratio of C-class Mercedes vs the CTS around here. They talk about the resurgence of the Cadillac brand because it is styled for the younger market, but that's not what I see loclally. In luxury cars, it's Lexus and Mercedes around here followed my BMW and Acura. Cadillac is down with the Jaguar and the Infiniti.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-29-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

We know what happened when they designed a Cadillac for the older farts(or did they market it to the youngsters?). Hard to keep up, with my shrinking grey matter.. Called it a XLR and it's no longer around.

Wasn't the "Cadillac that Zigs" marketed towards the youngsters? It flopped also.
Correct. What folks forget is that the Corvette is for folks who are young at heart. If Corvette buyers were a dying breed, then how has it lasted for 60 years?. Several generations have died and it's still around.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Joined 7-6-2013 with three posts. Quite an expert on Corvette owners, he thinks he is..........
Yep. Talking points are verbatim to the other two.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:32 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 25 year old nephew graduated two years ago with a BS in Nano Engineering from Louisiana Tech. He is living at home because he hasn't been able to find a job. He is a paraplegic(ATV accident in high school), but that shouldn't hurt his chance of finding an engineering job.

In 1966, I had no problem finding employment as an engineer, and I still couldn't afford a new Corvette, so I bought a new 1966 Olds 4-4-2(in boring silver with a black vinyl top).
Yeah, there's no silver bullet major. But if you go to an at-least-decent school, get a STEM degree, get at-least-decent grades, and have most of your screws in place, your odds of finding an at-least-decent job soon after you graduate are generally very good.

As for your boring-gray Oldsmobile, I couldn't afford a [new] Corvette within the first couple years out of college, either (had to settle for my IS ). And I would probably not be in the situation I'm in now had I not had loving, responsible, well-off parents who paid my way through college.. and then gave me the leftover money from my college fund with the hopes that I'd go to grad school (nuts to that! worthless in my field of work).

That is another advantage that's more and more difficult to have these days, both with the exponentially increasing costs of tuition and with the increasing difficulty for parents to save money given the increasing cost of living... So even if you have a good degree and a solid job after college today, odds are good that you also have a lot of student debt significantly curtailing your discretionary income.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 07-29-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51
Default I guess I don't fit the Demographics

I'm living alone now (wife's in a nursing home) and still have my 2010 RX450h. I'm driving more as it's 2 1/2 hours each way there. I have a Torch Red C7 on order to sit in the garage at night next to the Lexus. I'll be 70 in January.

So tell me where I fit in who ever wrote that article . My boys are doing well but can't afford $70k for something they really don't need.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Yeah, there's no silver bullet major. But if you go to an at-least-decent school, get a STEM degree, get at-least-decent grades, and have most of your screws in place, your odds of finding an at-least-decent job soon after you graduate are generally very good.

As for your boring-gray Oldsmobile, I couldn't afford a [new] Corvette within the first couple years out of college, either (had to settle for my IS ). And I would probably not be in the situation I'm in now had I not had loving, responsible, well-off parents who paid my way through college.. and then gave me the leftover money from my college fund with the hopes that I'd go to grad school (nuts to that! worthless in my field of work).

That is another advantage that's more and more difficult to have these days, both with the exponentially increasing costs of tuition and with the increasing difficulty for parents to save money given the increasing cost of living... So even if you have a good degree and a solid job after college today, odds are good that you also have a lot of student debt significantly curtailing your discretionary income.
Lots of recent college grads waiting tables. Tips won't cover a new C7.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 PM
genv6.2gm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, for as many kids waiting tables there are older ppl that should be gearing up on retirement instead of blowing it on a vette. This is a stupid argument.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The corvette is becoming less popular since like a post said, there are allot of sport
sedans that look just as good. Can offer someone more utility than a weekend toy.

Insurance is high, Gas is high, labor cost to fix a car is crazy especially for high models
like the vette. Once warranty gone the car is less desirable.

Young people have bleak future with less job opportunity's. Student loans that
will probably never be able to pay back. Poor credit to get financed. You seen the
high no job prospects numbers for grads this year, will do nothing but get worse.
Have kids why they can't feed themselves unless part of privileged welfare crowd
or obama kinds.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Kehraus
Any source that ends in 'pirg' typically presents things in the way they benefit their viewpoint. They are a political action group.

The same people that think gas prices should be about $10 a gallon to promote less driving.
Originally Posted by disc0monkey
Meh, for as many kids waiting tables there are older ppl that should be gearing up on retirement instead of blowing it on a vette. This is a stupid argument.
Good points made by both above. "PIRG" as we know stands for "Public Interest Research Group" and many used to be associated with students and universties.

Example:
("Minnesota Public Interest Research Group: MPIRG
www.mpirg.org/‎
Nonprofit organization founded, funded and directed by college and university students. An advocacy group on issues of the environment, consumers and social ...
"

And if that Frontier Group is the one below, well, you decide if all this info is relevant to you, the Corvette buyer, the potential Corvette buyer, converting/stealing a P-car buyer, etc. Me, I think not. I also doubt GM is reading/coming up with this kind of study results and basing biz decisions on same.

" http://www.frontiergroup.org/page/fg/about-us

What We Do

Frontier Group is a think tank, producing ideas and research to promote a cleaner environment and a fairer and more democratic society. We are issue experts, writers and analysts who recognize that good ideas must be coupled with organizing, advocacy and effective communication if they are to make a difference. Through our affiliation with the Public Interest Network, we partner with organizations on the ground in states across the country and in Washington, D.C., to disseminate our work and improve public policy.

Since 1996, Frontier Group has produced more than 200 reports, white papers, fact sheets, op-eds and testimonies that document social problems and propose powerful solutions. Our work has helped pave the way for policy changes to expand America's use of renewable energy, reduce our contribution to global warming, and protect the public from dangerous chemicals, among other advances.
"
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 PM
hokiebus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep us old farts will be arround for awhile. Actually the reanon for driving less is more planes are being bought.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM
u00mem9
7th Gear

Joined 7-6-2013 with three posts. Quite an expert on Corvette owners, he thinks he is..........
That's my point. The car was designed with me as a target buyer. It is successful in that regard. I'm a new member to the forum, because the C7 moved the corvette from a car with respectable performance but unacceptable build quality, owner stigma, etc. to a viable car to own.

Some of you guys come off like a bunch of "get off my lawn" old farts. The past couple of years, I guess the BEO's haven't been buying enough corvettes to sustain the brand. (Something like 8000 units?!?). I guess you should see that as a failing for you group, and take some responsibility.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by u00mem9
That's my point. The car was designed with me as a target buyer. It is successful in that regard. I'm a new member to the forum, because the C7 moved the corvette from a car with respectable performance but unacceptable build quality, owner stigma, etc. to a viable car to own.

Some of you guys come off like a bunch of "get off my lawn" old farts. The past couple of years, I guess the BEO's haven't been buying enough corvettes to sustain the brand. (Something like 8000 units?!?). I guess you should see that as a failing for you group, and take some responsibility.
I'm sorry but you KNOW it's viable how? Anything is capable as was every Corvette generation from the past, what makes the C7 different?

And what is this 8k units you refer too? Do some homework before you start typing, and by the way the forum or its members were not responsible for the housing and economic fall out.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 PM
u00mem9
7th Gear

Viable as a personal purchase.

13-14k units the past 4 years....apologies for the bad info, but the point remains, not enough. GM had no choice but to find a new (additional) buyer group. I still can't sort out why you expected to be the target buyer into your grave? You should start a 'seats are too low' thread.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

13-14k units the past 4 years....apologies for the bad info, but the point remains, not enough. GM had no choice but to find a new (additional) buyer group. I still can't sort out why you expected to be the target buyer into your grave? You should start a 'seats are too low' thread.
Yes, what car manufacturer would want to keep the loyal buyers happy who have been buying vettes over and over through the years and have the money to walk in and write a check if they like it?

I have owned 25 vettes and some of that time had 2 or 3 at the same time. The last time I had to take out a loan on one was when I was in my last year of college and borrowed $2,000 to buy a brand new 1968 convert in the fall of 1967.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

no clue but it seems kids nowadays are more interested in cell phones than cars. I am 33 and even most people my age could car less about cars. Could have something to do with the fact that cars today, with the exception of high-end sports cars and exotics, all look similar and all look like crap.

I should have been born in the late 50s snd 60s when most cars, even your entry level ones, where beautiful and distiguishable. Todays entry level cars all look the same, and 99% of them are all ugly. If designers from those days where aroound today, they would not believe their eyes...

Last edited by Paulchristian; 07-29-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

The Corvette can not and will not survive on the 25-45 buyer, will it help sales, sure it will but not enough to keep it afloat.

It's quite apparent you have no decency, do you talk to the elders in your life the way you speak here? If so I feel for them!

Get notified of new replies

To Is GM or this study right about the buying trends of future car buyers?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Sorry, but it wasn't the youngsters that were buying 35,000 Corvettes a year from 1998 through 2008. It was us old farts. When the economy turned sour, we started hoarding our money as we didn't like the political winds. We also didn't spend out money on new sedans, or pickups or SUV's or new homes. Still have my money; I just haven't been spending it.

Like I said before, when I die of old age, I will be replaced by another old fart who has been waiting in line behind me. Until I physically can't drive any more, why should I not enjoy a Corvette, so why should I not be the target buyer for the Corvette? Contrary to the popular belief of the youngsters, we can function quite well after the age of 60. Just a few weeks ago I was running at 4500 RPM in 5th gear in my Z06.

Youngsters aren't going to save the Corvette. If they don't have the jobs and the money, how are they going to buy a new Corvette? Sure there are exceptions. Some youngsters can afford a new Corvette, just as not all old folks can afford a new C7.

An economy that is thriving is what is going to save the Corvette. Then both the old folks will feel okay with breaking out our wallets, and the youngsters will be able to get jobs that pay enough to buy a $65,000 toy.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-29-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM
u00mem9
7th Gear

They don't need the average 25-45 year old to be able to afford a $65k vehicle, they need a mere 35-40k. (Total, including 46+ buyers that are not still butt hurt about the angular taillights)

There are plenty that can. GM needed to attract them. GM has taken aggressive steps toward that goal. I hope it works.

Tell me again, what was the alternative? What are you suggesting? These threads just seem to be motivated by current owners that are indignant about GM looking for additional markets to get the volume back. The OP seems to be almost hoping the C7 fails since it was stated that he fell outside this new target buyer range. What is that? I guess age and maturity aren't the same.

Anyway, peace. You guys definitely have more free time for the interweb than 25-45 yo's
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 31, wife and I have no kids and are in the market for a new toy. I saw the c7 at the local vintage grand prix and I have no interest in this car what so ever. Neither does she.

Quick Reply: Is GM or this study right about the buying trends of future car buyers?