Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is production decided in BG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Default How is production decided in BG?

So if we all are at status 3000........ I assume we made it into a consencious and are past that hurdle how does the plant decide what to build?

Assume they have 2000 orders. 2000 customers who have stepped up.

Do they build by like kinds, build to fill certain allocations? Spread the inventory to a cross section of dealers or what? Do they target say 10% of a dealers annual allocation?

I mean there has to be a business game plan (forget constraint issues) as to why you build certain cars first.

I would think their marketing goal is to get quality cars spread out through out the country/world ASAP.

I did hear they are holding productions in groups of 100 to do quality checks.

With all this being asked if they do have 2000 orders and they roll off 100 a days seems within 30 or 45 days they could be pretty well caught up and building dealer inventory.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:06 PM
brightonvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my understanding (not being an insider) but talking to a GM exec, it goes something like this. Assume a TPW of 20 cars (a very low number, but to make my example work) you would see 5 Torch Red cars, 5 NRB cars, 5 Laguna Blue cars and 5 AW cars all queued on the line in that order. Most would have the same options/packages, IE Z51, 2LT, etc. The cars could be going to 20 different dealers anyplace in the country. They stage the cars so that the builds are similar and all the parts are on hand. The priority is established by when the orders were accepted and which consensus they came out of. In my example 8 cars could go to one dealer and 4 to another with the remaining 8 going to 8 different dealers. This is at start-up, as they clear the "sold" cars from the books and start building dealer orders this whole process becomes more random, but they try to bunch colors and options as best they can.

Talon and GM can probably ring in and correct any of my misstatements, and add real facts.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 PM
THECORVETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 110 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

I have been at the BG assembly plant at least a dozen times since the opening in ther early 1980's. From what I have seen, they seem to build the cars as the orders are received. Unless there are constraints (paint choices, specific options shortages, etc...) the cars roll down the line with no particular pattern. Sometimes, they are bunched in the same color. Sometimes they are grouped in bunches of ragtops.

But, this is an initial start-up of a brand new car with a re-engineered assembly line. I am sure that GM engineering will get the start-up going based on their priorities. I would GUESS that they would build the 500 "special edition" cars first - all in blue. After that.....it's anybody's guess.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

On Monday, Wednesday & Friday they use a Magic 8 Ball to decide . . .
On Tuesdays & Thursdays Hal9000 decides everything . . . .

or something like that
Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Brightonvette pretty much covered it. Production is decided as one would guess, first by the order arrival sequence. It is then however up to the plant to schedule in an effort to make the best use of the available time, parts, personnel and resources. If they didn't balance all of this you would end up with periods of inactivity while they waited for one of these to become available to match up with the particulars of an order and that would be a very bad thing.

From that initial order point on however it is not as simple as first in, first out to get the cars on the line. The tasks required, the options (content) and colors all have to be factored in to the mix as far as getting the most efficient use of the line. The plant operates on JIT and the part supply will play a role. The line is generally scheduled in batches by color because that is how the paint shop paints. There are fewer paint robots than there are available colors so groups of panels will be painted and then a paint cell is changed over to another color. When you walk the line you will see groups of cars in the same color travelling together.

Convertibles are always scheduled in between two coupes because it takes longer to install the convertible top and they need to make that time up with a coupe on either side of it. Think of it a little like ordering at a restaurant, your order went in first but you got your food after someone who ordered after you and this happens because of available choices, resources and prep time in existance at the time of the order.

After the drama of the launch is over and regular production is in full swing, customer sold orders vs. dealer allocation orders will begin to factor in to the consideration as well.

There is a lot that goes in to making that line move and a lot more that goes in to keeping it moving.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Jesterissimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

On Monday, Wednesday & Friday they use a Magic 8 Ball to decide . . .
On Tuesdays & Thursdays Hal9000 decides everything . . . .

or something like that
Needless to say you don't want a Tuesday or Thursday car, we all know Hal. If you're lucky he'll make you listen to him singing daisy on your radio, if you're unlucky he'll terminate your life functions
Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 PM
DoTheyMakeOtherCars?
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by talon90
Brightonvette pretty much covered it. Production is decided as one would guess, first by the order arrival sequence. It is then however up to the plant to schedule in an effort to make the best use of the available time, parts, personnel and resources. If they didn't balance all of this you would end up with periods of inactivity while they waited for one of these to become available to match up with the particulars of an order and that would be a very bad thing.

From that initial order point on however it is not as simple as first in, first out to get the cars on the line. The tasks required, the options (content) and colors all have to be factored in to the mix as far as getting the most efficient use of the line. The plant operates on JIT and the part supply will play a role. The line is generally scheduled in batches by color because that is how the paint shop paints. There are fewer paint robots than there are available colors so groups of panels will be painted and then a paint cell is changed over to another color. When you walk the line you will see groups of cars in the same color travelling together.

Convertibles are always scheduled in between two coupes because it takes longer to install the convertible top and they need to make that time up with a coupe on either side of it. Think of it a little like ordering at a restaurant, your order went in first but you got your food after someone who ordered after you and this happens because of available choices, resources and prep time in existance at the time of the order.

After the drama of the launch is over and regular production is in full swing, customer sold orders vs. dealer allocation orders will begin to factor in to the consideration as well.

There is a lot that goes in to making that line move and a lot more that goes in to keeping it moving.
Sounds like I'm in trouble. I have an oddball. Silver...Not Z51...Automatic. Yikes
Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Thanks this makes perfect sense. Glad they will refine the process on the 500 premium cars.....would not own that interior....... Hope the luggage is available so they can get those behind them!!!

Get notified of new replies

To How is production decided in BG?

Quick Reply: How is production decided in BG?