Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Dave02C5
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

got the skip shift eliminator with the skip shift light delete in my 03 Z the first day I got it never looked back. even when you dont shift with light throttle the light still comes on, so the people that say they never see it are BSing.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kehraus
Tuning your new car voids the warranty.

That seems worth it.
You don't need to tune your car to eliminate CAGS, simple plug does the trick.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:27 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by CaryBob
According to previous threads, the answer is "yes".

Old 08-03-2013, 04:44 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Silly arguments by those that just say drive it like a sports car. In daily traffic, cruising in town or in your neighborhood...we are not reckless teens anymore. I drive it mellow in such situations, and the Tq of these large V8's have no issue moving my lightweight Z under 1500rpm. Grow up. CAGS is $25 and 15 mins to install and never get annoyed again. Thats a win.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by JETninja
Silly arguments by those that just say drive it like a sports car. In daily traffic, cruising in town or in your neighborhood...we are not reckless teens anymore. I drive it mellow in such situations, and the Tq of these large V8's have no issue moving my lightweight Z under 1500rpm. Grow up. CAGS is $25 and 15 mins to install and never get annoyed again. Thats a win.
It's not a matter of growing up, I simply said I don't understand the need. In the current C6 you can actually get to 50 MPH in 1st gear before getting to the red line. My daily driver (non-Vette) is a manual trans with nowhere near the torque of the Vette and I still find myself leaving in first until I'm over 3500 RPMs before I go to second and I travel through traffic both city and highway everyday. I guess it just comes down to driving style and comfort with your car.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:27 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Install the $20 CAGS eliminator, and forget about having to meet any predetermined parameters. Then you can drive it just like you would drive any manual transmission, meaning you shift at the RPM and speed which makes sense at the time and under the conditions of which you are driving.

When I shift into second, with my CAGS eliminator installed, I do it without wondering if I'm driving fast enough, etc to get around the CAGS. I just shift into second gear when it feels right, not when the Nanny allows me.
As it should be, exactly.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
It's not a matter of growing up, I simply said I don't understand the need. In the current C6 you can actually get to 50 MPH in 1st gear before getting to the red line. My daily driver (non-Vette) is a manual trans with nowhere near the torque of the Vette and I still find myself leaving in first until I'm over 3500 RPMs before I go to second and I travel through traffic both city and highway everyday. I guess it just comes down to driving style and comfort with your car.
It can be done, but should it be done? I don't know enough about the mechanics, but there's a point where my gut tells me that it's unhealthy for the car to stay on 1st gear, or any given gear. I know people who always have problems with their cars and I rarely/never do. I suspect it's mostly a matter of listening to them.

In my previous car, 3500 RPM was also the signal to shift, but the Corvette is different. Also, we shouldn't have to compute these things when there's action going on all around.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:03 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

My DD is a 95 M3 with tons of mods...and 218K. Even it has plenty of Tq from its 3L engine, like the Vette in my normal around driving I skip gears..1-3-5 or 2-4-6. Do it all the time, these cars have so much Tq and it saves fuel as well. I found the 1-4 thing very annoying in normal around town or freeway stuck in traffic modes. Simple to remove and never hear from it again. I should be able to dictate how I drive my car, not some electronic POS. But to each their own, this is America!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

It's mentioned in these new videos http://www.youtube.com/user/reliablecorvettes/videos . As they keep referencing the owners manual and pages, I expect 'IT' will be available soon.
Originally Posted by zhopper05
As it should be, exactly.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:43 PM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bottom line for me is when I expect to be shifting into second gear, I don't want to be shifting into fourth gear. It's distracting when driving in town in traffic, and can be a little disorienting to have the engine bogging and making little power when you're expecting to move like it's in second gear. Situations arise where it's a problem, I know.

I took a smart fuse, cut the fuseable metal arch between the two terminals and soldered in a small resistor that provided enough resistance for the computer to 'think' that the shift-skip solenoid had been activated when it really hasn't been; that's basically what the CAGS eliminator does anyway.

On the C6 at least the fuse for CAGS was independent of any other functions. I hope it stays that way. I expect GM to keep doing us that favor of keeping the CAGS on a separate fuse for easy bypassing. If not, the alternative is crawling under the car and installing a CAGS bypasser there. The fuse version was so easy, though.

TomZ
Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

I'm not going to give a hard time to anybody who likes to slowly wind up their motor to several thousand RPM under light load, but let's not pretend that somehow constitutes driving a sports car as it was intended.

In traffic, the throttle is barely cracked open. Under these circumstances, especially with a great big V-8, it's perfectly correct to short-shift. The problem with CAGS is that there's no way for the car to know that we're settling out at a pace where 4th gear is just bogging.

The car's imperfect knowledge of what the driver intends is the reason we buy _manual_ transmissions in the first place. We shift to second gear because we wanted second, not fourth, and for good reason.

Last edited by torquetube; 08-03-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

It's very easy to disable...just drive the car like it was designed! I've never understood why people by a monster sports car and then decide they need to shift from 1st to 2nd at 1400 RPMs...

Dave
If you are stuck in slow moving traffic with a slow poke driver in front of you you can avoid CAGS by shifting to second early. Shift to second before 15 mph or after 19 mph and you will never see CAGS. If you are someplace where you can use normal throttle then you don't need to worry about what speed the car is going since you will never see CAGS under that condition.

Bill
Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are stuck in slow moving traffic with a slow poke driver in front of you you can avoid CAGS by shifting to second early.
Or, I dunno, start in second gear maybe? It's not like Corvettes haven't had enough low-end torque to do that.

Oh, wait a sec...
Old 08-04-2013, 01:07 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Doesn't "Track Mode" disable CAGS?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:02 PM
rmarks
Racer

I habitually shift mine from 1st to 3rd in daily traffic driving.

Just an ingrained habit, not something I thought of to get around CAGs.

But when I do 1st to 4th, there is not enough power in 4th, unless I go to high rev in 1st. And then the power is unbalanced and car feel for passengers is jerky.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I want to dictate my driving style not have GM dictate my style, and when I decide to shift into 2nd, I want to find 2nd.

Will the CAGS eliminator void the warranty??
Old 08-05-2013, 02:49 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsocb
Doesn't "Track Mode" disable CAGS?
Good question.

Anybody know?

Get notified of new replies

To Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Will the CAGS eliminator void the warranty??
No, but the EPA will find out and bill you for gas guzzler tax.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you are stuck in slow moving traffic with a slow poke driver in front of you you can avoid CAGS by shifting to second early. Shift to second before 15 mph or after 19 mph and you will never see CAGS. If you are someplace where you can use normal throttle then you don't need to worry about what speed the car is going since you will never see CAGS under that condition.

Bill
All cases when CAGS got in my way have been at the stoplights. The light goes green and the pack ahead starts moving but suddenly slows down for some reason. Generally I can see that it's a temporary situation and expect to accelerate soon and try to put it on 2nd, and bang I'm in 4th while the guy behind gets impatient because I'm forced to play the slowpoke. Ok, I'm dramatizing but you get the general idea.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by c5vette73
My C5 and C6 both had the skip shift as a fuel saving feature. I believe it also a way around gas guzzler tax.
Yes

Quick Reply: Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift?