Sponsored by:

Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:30 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarks
I habitually shift mine from 1st to 3rd in daily traffic driving.

Just an ingrained habit, not something I thought of to get around CAGs.

But when I do 1st to 4th, there is not enough power in 4th, unless I go to high rev in 1st. And then the power is unbalanced and car feel for passengers is jerky.
If you drive in that manor, you will be able to shift normally. Cags will be ignored.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
It's very easy to disable...just drive the car like it was designed! I've never understood why people by a monster sports car and then decide they need to shift from 1st to 2nd at 1400 RPMs...

Dave
Must engage earlier on the C6. I haven't seen CAGS engage sooner than about 1700rpm, and I take it easy on the street then really flog it on a closed course.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hklvette
Must engage earlier on the C6. I haven't seen CAGS engage sooner than about 1700rpm, and I take it easy on the street then really flog it on a closed course.
Yep! More torque per RPM will do that to your car.

If you're keeping it too long on 1st gear, you're trying to beat Mero.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

CAGS is ancient technology to increase fuel conomy in a government mandated testing environment. But the fact is that it is not all that practical in the real world. I probably better economy by eliminating it and short shifting as I please than others would by leaving it functional and revving higher to avoid it. I couldn't imagine using my vette as a daily driver with CAGS.

Last edited by v26278; 08-05-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:22 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Whoever is responsible for CAGS making it on the C7 needs to be fired. This is absolutely the worse solution I've ever seen to increasing fuel mileage. GM absolutely ****ed this car for me. Neither CAGS AFM or that stupid electronic ebrake are any use in my city, makes this car an idiot car in San Francisco. They absolutely ruined it.

GM has one halo car, one. Look at all the nonsense they managed to throw in it. They say every lb had to earn its way on the Corvette. How can they lie like this? It's not marketing, it's brain washing.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM is just scamming the EPA with CAGS to avoid the gas guzzler tax... Everyone knows it can be easily defeated with a CAGS skip shift eliminator for $14. Decide which price you're willing to pay, $14 for skip shift eliminator or $1000 gas guzzler tax. It's discussions like this that will allow the EPA to add gas guzzler tax to every V8 car built.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
GM is just scamming the EPA with CAGS to avoid the gas guzzler tax... Everyone knows it can be easily defeated with a CAGS skip shift eliminator for $14. Decide which price you're willing to pay, $14 for skip shift eliminator or $1000 gas guzzler tax. It's discussions like this that will allow the EPA to add gas guzzler tax to every V8 car built.
CAGS didn't avoid the gas guzzler tax on my zr1.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
CAGS didn't avoid the gas guzzler tax on my zr1.
It reduced it, like it did with the CTS-V. If CAGS weren't on either of the cars, the GG tax would have been much higher. See: the automatic CTS-V as an example of that very thing (double the price of the manual car).
Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Whoever is responsible for CAGS making it on the C7 needs to be fired. This is absolutely the worse solution I've ever seen to increasing fuel mileage. GM absolutely ****ed this car for me. Neither CAGS AFM or that stupid electronic ebrake are any use in my city, makes this car an idiot car in San Francisco. They absolutely ruined it.
Easy there.

As everyone knows, CAGS can be disabled easily.

As for the electronic parking brake, I presume you're objection has to do with hill-holding. Every EPB out there, including the one on the new Holden (GM Australia) Commodore, works as a hill-holder by design:

(Holden Commodore Press Release)

Hill Hold Control
The same automatic release system can also be used for extended hill hold or as a hill start assist feature when moving off from a stationary position on steep gradients when the EPB is applied by the driver. EPB prevents ‘rollback’ or ‘roll forward’ by holding for as long as necessary and releasing as soon as it senses the vehicle has traction.

Hill Start Assist
For a seamless launch when the EPB has not been applied by the driver, the Electric Brake Control Module automatically uses the ABS system to prevent ‘rollback’ or ‘roll forward’ for up to two seconds when moving off from a stationary position on steep gradients.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee51Vert
Shift at 3000 rpm
Agree ..... Don't need it if you drive it right...
Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The alternative, buying a $60k car to throw ebay parts in it and risk voiding warranty, is much better than paying $1k extra for a non-handicaped sports car.

Dont forget, cags takes money to implement. You will pay for it twice not to have it. The $1k going to gov. will in theory benefit us all. The double pay on cags is a waste of $.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm glad it's there. And I'm very glad I can bypass it.
If I buy a $60k vehicle, shouldn't I be able to drive it any way I want to? I paid for 6 (or 7) gears, I'd like to use them as I see fit, not modify my driving habits to suit the machine.

... The $1k going to gov. will in theory benefit us all.
Only of you count lightening my wallet a benefit.

Last edited by LMB-C6; 08-06-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

CAGS has been easy to bypass with zero impact on warranty.

Hopefully the 7 will have just as easily bypassed set-up. I'd be surprised if it didn't.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably 1-4 still right?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Can someone enlighten me as to what this 'skip shift' thing is? Was it an option? Cause I've never seen it...

Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

The alternative, buying a $60k car to throw ebay parts in it and risk voiding warranty, is much better than paying $1k extra for a non-handicaped sports car.

Dont forget, cags takes money to implement. You will pay for it twice not to have it. The $1k going to gov. will in theory benefit us all. The double pay on cags is a waste of $.
This seems like much ado about nothing. You mentioned two reasons why "GM absolutely ruined" the C7 for driving in SF, one of which actually turns out to be a benefit, and the other can be permanently reversed for the price of a quarter-tank of gas.

As for paying for CAGS, tax breaks aside - it's been around for years. The marginal cost is negligible. Every car has a non-optional feature or two that we'd rather not have, and in this case you can turn it off forever. No big deal.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

GM has one halo car, one. Look at all the nonsense they managed to throw in it. They say every lb had to earn its way on the Corvette. How can they lie like this? It's not marketing, it's brain washing.
I think I'm safe in saying that none of us likes CAGS or AFM. But what is your solution for GM compliance with the fast-escalating CAFE regulations? Maybe everyone buying a C7 must also buy three Volts? And the old "drop in the bucket" wishful thinking has been clearly refuted by GM management saying that Corvette doesn't get a CAFE pass.

This is a new era. My prediction: Don't like CAGS and AFM? Stand by; you ain't seen nothing yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
This is a new era. My prediction: Don't like CAGS and AFM? Stand by; you ain't seen nothing yet.

They at least didn't put a ridiculous auto engine start/stop device on it.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 235265283...
I think I'm safe in saying that none of us likes CAGS or AFM.
I don't mind AFM if it's reliable and delivers results. Under light loads, our big engines produce too little horsepower per unit fuel consumed. We live with it because we want the ability to generate big power 1% of the time.

It's a compromise. What is desirable about converting a greater percentage of fuel energy directly into waste heat, without using it to propel the car?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:04 AM
RickDI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFM is easy to defeat anyways. Put the car into Sport or Track Mode on the autos and any mode but ECO on the stick.

Quick Reply: Will C7 have 1 to 4 skip shift?