Sponsored by:

What do we want in a sports car

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:26 PM
rmarks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do we want in a sports car

First let me qualify myself. I'm 72 years old and have owned a fast car all my life. SCCA National License. One car I built had track record in class on 10 Midwest tracks. Got my first Corvette, a C5, after I sold my two Panteras. My current ride is a stock C6, LS3, Z-51, big brakes, Michelins. And I'm going to get a C7.

But now frankly I do not care about ultimate power. I drive it around town, on trips, etc. I rarely use full power. (But there was this Audi thing and we took it up to 130 on the I-15 recently). I basically want SUFFICIENT power, I like the nice broad range torque pull of that LS3 motor. But I very rarely need full power, I don't race every 3.5 liter Datsun up the hill (why bother, I can run them into the ground). Sometimes I blow it up to 100 up a back road hill - fun, but I don't care if a Ferrari could do the hill 0.5 seconds faster. And a Viper can do it a second faster with a crappy ride and I'm doing it with the AC on.

What I want is a lot of power and most important A BALANCED DRIVING AND HANDLING FEEL. I love my C6. It's a little stiff being a Z51, but it handles like it's on rails and it doesn't do anything unpredictable. It generates more G-Force than most people are comfortable with anyway. It stops in 100 feet not 93; but that's a ton better than the 150 feet of most other cars.

And I want a relatively economical car. My brother spends $2000 every time he takes his BMW in the shop, a lady friend does the same with her Jaguar. The vette never breaks and when it does, I can fix it myself and the parts and service guys at GM are knowledgeable and friendly (thanks Jimmy Johnson Chevy in San Diego).

So the Vette is a great car. Very fast, excellent handling, comfortable, ergonomic, great looking, and half the cost of a Porsche.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:31 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarks
First let me qualify myself. I'm 72 years old and have owned a fast car all my life. SCCA National License. One car I built had track record in class on 10 Midwest tracks. Got my first Corvette, a C5, after I sold my two Panteras. My current ride is a stock C6, LS3, Z-51, big brakes, Michelins. And I'm going to get a C7.

But now frankly I do not care about ultimate power. I drive it around town, on trips, etc. I rarely use full power. (But there was this Audi thing and we took it up to 130 on the I-15 recently). I basically want SUFFICIENT power, I like the nice broad range torque pull of that LS3 motor. But I very rarely need full power, I don't race every 3.5 liter Datsun up the hill (why bother, I can run them into the ground). Sometimes I blow it up to 100 up a back road hill - fun, but I don't care if a Ferrari could do the hill 0.5 seconds faster. And a Viper can do it a second faster with a crappy ride and I'm doing it with the AC on.

What I want is a lot of power and most important A BALANCED DRIVING AND HANDLING FEEL. I love my C6. It's a little stiff being a Z51, but it handles like it's on rails and it doesn't do anything unpredictable. It generates more G-Force than most people are comfortable with anyway. It stops in 100 feet not 93; but that's a ton better than the 150 feet of most other cars.

And I want a relatively economical car. My brother spends $2000 every time he takes his BMW in the shop, a lady friend does the same with her Jaguar. The vette never breaks and when it does, I can fix it myself and the parts and service guys at GM are knowledgeable and friendly (thanks Jimmy Johnson Chevy in San Diego).

So the Vette is a great car. Very fast, excellent handling, comfortable, ergonomic, great looking, and half the cost of a Porsche.
Amen. Very well said !!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Which I think highlights the great things about Corvettes, regardless of generation. Regarding your prioritization, I would even argue that the C7 has put a higher priority on handling, both objective numbers and very much so on handling "feel". From the sound of things, you'll enjoy the C7 very much!

Last edited by CPhelps; 08-04-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

agreed; well-stated.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Don't know about "we", but I greatly enjoy:

- front engine V8,
- great looks,
- solid handling, braking etc.,
- excellent performance,
- broad, flat torque curve,
- great sound,
- a machine that makes me grin every time I drive it,
- reliability/durability that easily allows owning/driving it well past 100k miles with only minimal maintenance/repairs.

Corvette has delivered these in spades for me, and it appears will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Round tail lights
Old 08-04-2013, 11:31 PM
IowaGuy
Intermediate

A nice car provides an escape from the world. It's got to have the looks and a bite as big as its bark.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:32 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by GTJim
Round tail lights
Old 08-09-2013, 02:55 AM
rmarks
Racer

Thanks guys, and I am waiting for the C7. I will probably get magnetic ride and not Z51. The Z51 rides stiff. Love the write ups on the new Michelins for the C7.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks guys, and I am waiting for the C7. I will probably get magnetic ride and not Z51. The Z51 rides stiff. Love the write ups on the new Michelins for the C7.
At least for the 2014, you can't get Magnetic ride without getting the Z51 package...
Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Agree with your analysis.

Bad news. You can only get magnetic ride with Z51. I've had 6 Corvettes, all but 1 with standard suspension. People underestimate how good it is. I have driven many twisty mountain roads at fast speeds with no problems. My 2003 had magnetic ride and most of the time I didn't think it was working.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

I rarely use full power. (But there was this Audi thing and we took it up to 130 on the I-15 recently).

Sometimes I blow it up to 100 up a back road hill -

What I want is a lot of power

Maybe you should consider a motorcycle, it might save some innocent lives when you eventually lose it azzhatting at 130 on I-15.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
Maybe you should consider a motorcycle, it might save some innocent lives when you eventually lose it azzhatting at 130 on I-15.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

And that leaves me in a quandary about the C7. I don't really care about the nice interior or fancy infotainment, and the LS3 is fast enough for me. The larger size and poor rear visibility are steps backward.

But the more predictable handling that the reviewers are talking about, that would be nice. Same thing with a F55 Z51 ride.

Waiting for a test drive...
Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

A hot young brunette?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:57 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Don't know about "we", but I greatly enjoy:

- front engine V8,
- great looks,
- solid handling, braking etc.,
- excellent performance,
- broad, flat torque curve,
- great sound,
- a machine that makes me grin every time I drive it,
- reliability/durability that easily allows owning/driving it well past 100k miles with only minimal maintenance/repairs.

Corvette has delivered these in spades for me, and it appears will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

And first and foremost for me, it has to be an American made automobile..

Corvette.... there's no other choice for me.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:02 PM
kirbsc
Racer

Get notified of new replies

To What do we want in a sports car

Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Jesterissimo
Instructor

I like the model of a domesticated animal / caged beast. You're safe if you know what you're doing and are careful, but things can quickly get out of hand if you push it. That's my main criteria for a sports car. Comfortable daily driver with a performance envelope that can brutally kick my *** if I let it.

Now, assuming a car meets that profile, I don't really care how it does it. Front engine or rear engine, 2 drive wheels or 4, 6 gears or 10, V8 or I6 - the parts don't matter, its how they come together to form the whole package that I care about. One specific thing I do look for in any car is a great audio system, or at least one with well placed speakers that I can upgrade later while keeping a stock appearance.

A big part of the total package has to be how the car makes me feel. I like the styling of the C7 because it looks like an aggressive animal waiting to be let off the leash, and with the exhaust note it sounds like it too. It reminds you every time you get in it that the "beast mode" performance is there waiting all the time if you hit the throttle a little too much. I'm just hoping that the car delivers on that split personality thing I talked about in the first paragraph. it's obviously a leap of faith since I haven't driven one or even been within a mile of one physically. Fingers crossed
Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Oval?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:42 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
Maybe you should consider a minivan, wussy.

Quick Reply: What do we want in a sports car