Sponsored by:

So many Great Reviews on the new C7 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Default So many Great Reviews on the new C7 Stingray

With so much positive said about the new Stingray in several different mags, along with freelance writers and from the Brits, I can hardly wait to see just how Superior the new Z06 or whatever they will call the Hi Po version. This version will be the new top dog that will raise the bar very high.
I know we can all agree that the C6 Z06 and ZR1 have been great cars and they hold there own against just about everything out there, But the New version will be the car that makes others go back to the drawing board, "VIPER" for one will be in a lot of trouble once this new Hot Rod hits the streets. I can not wait to own one.
Watch out VIPER,GTR,PORSCHE And just about everything else on the road, The new Beast is soon to be tearing up the streets,Tracks and road courses. I have decided to Keep my CTS V Coupe until the new Z0? Comes out.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree, cant wait for details to start coming in.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:10 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Heard a rumor rear tire size was 335/30/20 and the fronts might be 265/35/19 s...

Can't say if its true or not as its just some guess....

Forced induction is a shoe in for the next high performance model to be shown at Detroit show this January.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Wow on the tire sizes if true! I really hope they have an NA beast though.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default The one and only !

I just finished reading the September issue of "Car & Driver" and they tested the base Z51 equipped 2014 Stingray and I gotta tell you this is one hell of a ride. A Porsche 911S was only 0.2 tenths of a second faster on the quarter mile, What's that ??????

The car they tested was a torch red coupe and of course it had that big black rear defuser, It does nothing for the car, I've seen the new C7 that had the big black portion was painted and they look sooo much better painted. But I don't know what the ZO6 or the ZR1 are in the pipeline or not, but this is a hell of a Corvette. looking forward to seeing it at Corvettes@carlisle.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:20 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

It will look sick with some fat meat tucked under the wheel well. I own a V coupe with the supercharger I have never owned an American V8 with Any type of FI "Turbos or Superchargers" and have knocked them in the past, That was until I actually owned one, Is what I can say is my V with the Supercharger seems to never run out of power, If the Hi Po C7 comes with FI don't knock it until you try it, I know I did and I was completely wrong they rock.
Any ideas as to when we may hear some solid info as far as what engine or trans will be used? may Sept or October?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't 335's contradict everything they are saying about not needing big meats? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for big rubber but they have been preaching smaller is better all year!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRLC5
It will look sick with some fat meat tucked under the wheel well. I own a V coupe with the supercharger I have never owned an American V8 with Any type of FI "Turbos or Superchargers" and have knocked them in the past, That was until I actually owned one, Is what I can say is my V with the Supercharger seems to never run out of power, If the Hi Po C7 comes with FI don't knock it until you try it, I know I did and I was completely wrong they rock.
Any ideas as to when we may hear some solid info as far as what engine or trans will be used? may Sept or October?
Not knocking FI, just not the best setup in high heat areas like Phoenix not to mention the extra weigh and also the cool factor of 550+ NA ponies.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Wouldn't 335's contradict everything they are saying about not needing big meats? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for big rubber but they have been preaching smaller is better all year!
265's in the front sounds odd to me.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:25 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by killain
I just finished reading the September issue of "Car & Driver" and they tested the base Z51 equipped 2014 Stingray and I gotta tell you this is one hell of a ride. A Porsche 911S was only 0.2 tenths of a second faster on the quarter mile, What's that ??????

The car they tested was a torch red coupe and of course it had that big black rear defuser, It does nothing for the car, I've seen the new C7 that had the big black portion was painted and they look sooo much better painted. But I don't know what the ZO6 or the ZR1 are in the pipeline or not, but this is a hell of a Corvette. looking forward to seeing it at Corvettes@carlisle.
Sounds great. I am not happy that it lost in the qtr to the Porsche? I really thought the new Stingray would have beat it out? But the PDK trans in the P car is amazing. I assume the Stingray was a manual trans? I know only 2 tenths but that is like 2 car lengths which stinks in my book, I know someone will best these times, and I also think the auto trans cars will be a tad quicker in the qtr.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I agree Sam, way too much difference. Maybe he meant 85 or 95's.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:28 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by DRLC5
I believe the same manual transmission type we have now..

I agree The CTS V is awesome..

The rear tire is just a rumor so don't pay to much attention to it.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I don't think it contradicts. Narrower will give more feel and less tramlining. For the power level of the Z51 and the capability of the PSS, the size chosen was (in GMs view and seemingly coroborated by the reviews) the right balance of grip and responsiveness for the standard C7.

If GM chooses a much wider tire for the Z06 it will be because the power and torque of that car will need a different balance. It will also mean likely less feel but, again, a balance that makes more sense for that car.

I would be surprised if the sizes are any bigger than the current Z, if not smaller, given the improvements in tire compound but who knows. Bottom line is GM will choose what is the best balance for the Z in the same way it did for the Z51. No contradiction as far as I can see as the two cars will be different in power.

My prediction is there is no Zr1 for the C7 and the Z06 will be the top dog and, therefore, a larger performance spread from the current Z51 than the C6 Z06 is to the GS. That much additional power would need more grippy meat even at the expense of other characteristics IMO.

Last edited by gthal; 08-21-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I did not check on this but doesn't the current Z and GS share the same size or maybe one size difference? They are different in power by 70hp and different in weight also.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by gthal
I don't think it contradicts. Narrower will give more feel and less tramlining. For the power level of the Z51 and the capability of the PSS, the size chosen was (in GMs view and seemingly coroborated by the reviews) the right balance of grip and responsiveness for the standard C7.

If GM chooses a much wider tire for the Z06 it will be because the power and torque of that car will need a different balance. It will also mean likely less feel but, again, a balance that makes more sense for that car.

I would be surprised if the sizes are any bigger than the current Z, if not smaller, given the improvements in tire compound but who knows. Bottom line is GM will choose what is the best balance for the Z in the same way it did for the Z51. No contradiction as far as I can see as the two cars will be different in power.
This is sound logic and extremely easy to grasp. One would be foolish to think the tire GM worked with Michelin to create for the 455 hp C7 would be the same tire used on a 500-550+ hp variant.
S.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Heath I would also love to see the performance specs on a C7 withh 455hp if it had 325 or 35's on it, my money would be on better performance which means all the talk of tire specifics means nada! Oh and if it meant sacrificing 1-2 mpg for better performance and appearance I'm sure most would want the meats.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Heard a rumor rear tire size was 335/30/20 and the fronts might be 265/35/19 s...

Can't say if its true or not as its just some guess....

Forced induction is a shoe in for the next high performance model to be shown at Detroit show this January.
If indeed the hi-po version has 335 meats, it will have an aspect ratio of 25, not 30.

Get notified of new replies

To So many Great Reviews on the new C7 Stingray

Old 08-21-2013, 05:13 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Yeah. I've been expecting 305's or 315's.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Not necessarily a contradiction. The base car with 460 HP and a targeted ~1G skidpad didn't need wider rubber to meet GM's performance goals with the new tire compound. The world beater HiPo car with considerably more power and higher cornering limits will very likely need more rubber to keep it all under control, because it will put considerably higher forces on the tires and require them to stick. It's all an engineering trade off. Wider tires offer more grip for a given compound/tread style, but they add weight, reduce some of the intangible "feel" they are going after, are more susceptible to tram line, increased frontal area, etc. That said, usually the increased grip overcomes the performance downsides for a faster overall lap time. The High Performance model is expected to have fewer compromises in the chase for maximum performance, so the wider tires make sense.

EDIT: Ah I see gthal beat me to it, but to comment on your later comments:

I did not check on this but doesn't the current Z and GS share the same size or maybe one size difference? They are different in power by 70hp and different in weight also.
The GS got the Z06's tire and suspension package I believe. Again, the GS was supposed to be more focused for performance than the base car, so it would have a different set of compromises that would make the larger tires worth it.

Heath I would also love to see the performance specs on a C7 withh 455hp if it had 325 or 35's on it, my money would be on better performance which means all the talk of tire specifics means nada! Oh and if it meant sacrificing 1-2 mpg for better performance and appearance I'm sure most would want the meats.
It would very likely have improved track times, but as GS vs. base vs. Z51 times on the C6 fast list show, not necessarily faster acceleration in a straight line. That is still given the improved new tires, so the talk of tire specifics is still important. Likely many customers would trade the fuel economy for the looks and performance of wider tires, but unfortunately GM also has to appease the EPA and meet CAFE standards. A lot of DD guys that only drive on the street may very well prefer the increased fuel economy and cheaper replacement costs, though. You have to keep in mind that the average owner is a lot less hardcore about performance than many of us who post up on the message boards.

There is also a diminishing return with increased tire width. My friend's Factory Five Cobra is actually faster on slightly narrower tires because he found he couldn't put enough heat into the larger tires even in long track sessions to get them to their performance sweet spot. I'm by no means saying that the diminishing returns limit for a Corvette is at 325 or 335s, just illustrating the point that it is possible to get to a situation where wider isn't always better. Obviously the FFR Cobra at ~2250 lbs with driver is an extreme example. Another friend put heavier, wider, stickier tires on his S2000, and had a noticeably worse acceleration, but his overall laptimes still improved from the increased grip and ability to carry speed through the corners. There's really way too many variables at play to pick just one aspect, tire width, and draw too many conclusions.

Last edited by CPhelps; 08-21-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Better (higher) ultimate grip from a wider tire does not necessarily mean a better drivers car or better vehicle dynamics. I believe, based on my knowledge alone, that there is a definite trade-off in performance benefits by going wider. GM decided that the right trade-off for what wanted to accomplish was with the tires they selected. If they wanted to go 305 or 325 or 335 they could have... and likely will on a higher HP car because, as I said, the trade-off decision may differ.

The C7 may not be perceived to be a better car if it had wider tires... maybe it could put up better ultimate numbers but it may not be seen that way in real world driving where there are subjective characteristics that play into the "fun" and satisfaction in driving the car. A balance and a trade-off to some extent... IMO. I can't tell you today whether GM made the correct decision but it sure seems like based on feedback from the reviewers.

Last edited by gthal; 08-21-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: So many Great Reviews on the new C7 Stingray