Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Magazine test of C7 vs 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

No one want's to hear your excuses. The ZR1 is faster period. And your acclaimed source says otherwise. You finally admitted it with your excuses.

I like sport auto, but at some point they have to keep it real. I don't care who's driving, with all of the straights on the ring, and the extra drag on the RS, there is no one who would legitimately be faster in a 3.8 RS vs a ZR1. Probably not a GT-R either given it's ease of drive.

Putting that in black and white is immediate loss of credibility. And even a GT2 RS beating the ZR1 by what 10 seconds.

ROFL. Surely HvS has no incentive to be faster in German cars in Germany on a world renowned German track would he/they? For anyone looking for an honest heads up comparison, this is not it. They tested the Viper at like 8:13. lololol.

I have not mentioned one thing about the Turbo S. Which is almost 20 seconds slower than the ZR1 with test drivers, but only 6 slower with HvS behind the wheel?

Abomination.

Sport Auto needs to keep it real.

Originally Posted by Guibo
I said they don't have significant development time on the 'Ring. GM developed the ZR1 primarily at American tracks (Milford, VIR, etc). The 'Ring time is primarily for validation and marketing. Just because a car is fast on the 'Ring doesn't necessarily mean it had significant development time there. But it helps when your car has less power, less torque, narrower tires, shorter wheelbase...as in the case of Porsches.

What I question is why you think Sport Auto is not a legit source of third party testing. You cannot claim those manufacturer videos are third party testing anymore than you can know anything about what kind of power those cars are making, or what kind of tires or alignment. The Sport Auto test removes that doubt.

Same-day test by AutoExpress at Anglesey (not an autocross track, nor in Germany) showed the GT3 RS to be faster than the 458. Turbo S was timed by Sport Auto at 7:44. ZR1 was timed by Sport Auto at 7:38. How do you figure that 7:44 is "faster" than 7:38?
Hadn't occurred to you that, having supertested a couple dozen 911s on the Nordschleife throughout the years, HvS might know more about extracting the best from a rear-engined platform than most other mag editors? The exception to this would be the 997.1 Turbo, which Porsche claimed in testing could lap in 7:38. HvS's test was 16 seconds off this pace, and only 2s faster than the outgoing 996 Turbo. If there is some kind of collusion, why didn't HvS simply replicate Porsche's time? The answer is clear when you read his commentary and compare it to those of other journalists (the car is tricky under load changes and sometimes oversteers too much).

Yelling doesn't make it true. Nor does repeating it. You've been asked for this information and now I'm asking for it again: Prove it.
Where did Porsche give .00? This is the third time I'm asking for it. That you still can't provide it suggests that you've proven my point for me: You made it up.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:25 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by cgh1
I'm not writing any articles or anything (although I did drive one of the Stingrays that apparently MotorTrend is going to be using for something next week) but I am working as a pro-driver on the Stingray launch program. We have a 991 Carrera S ($100K) that we compare against a 3LT Z51 configured car and I will tell you the Corvette stands head and shoulders above the 911 from a performance perspective and matches, if not edges out the 911 in interior and fit-n-finish comparison.

No longer can anyone say the Corvette interior is inferior. Just sayin'...
:-)
Good to hear that the C7 rips the ***** off the 911s for half the money. So much for all that superior "German engineering", what a bunch of BS. Even better to hear it from a professional driver who has fully evaluated both. Your fit, finish, and interior quality comparison is also most note worthy. There are a number of Porsche humpers here who have themselves convinced of the Porsche being superior in non performance categories. Never believed that myself from personal experience and exposure to Porsche "quality".
Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to inform you boys but no way in hell is the fit and finish better on a Corvette than it is a Porsche. Maybe the interior is now equal and that's a maybe, as for the V8 spanking a flat 6 I wouldn't pound my chest too hard.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Sorry to inform you boys but no way in hell is the fit and finish better on a Corvette than it is a Porsche. Maybe the interior is now equal and that's a maybe, as for the V8 spanking a flat 6 I wouldn't pound my chest too hard.
Get real Pal. There is some serious chest beating in order when a $50,000 sports car lays a beat down on a $100,000 one!

It is abundantly clear, even to you import lovers, that this C7 is the real deal and your worst nightmare. Deal with it.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Doc I'd lighten up if I were you, your heart is gonna blow out of your chest if you keep ranting like that!

Secondly seeing how you quoted me you should know that I have a 427 which by the way will spank the C7 in the 60 and 1/4.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
On regular street tires? I'm thinking mid-low 7:30's. But on a grippier tire like whats on the Z07, ZR1, GT3, GT-R etc etc. certainly.

I'm not even sure GM will report a lap time. Seems like they would have done so already.

I think the Z51 is just below elite level performance, with the limiting factor being the tires.
Give them a little bit. I think they were ttying to get the CTS run out of the way, then they'll have the C7 time, then the Z/28 right after that.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Hey Doc I'd lighten up if I were you, your heart is gonna blow out of your chest if you keep ranting like that!

Secondly seeing how you quoted me you should know that I have a 427 which by the way will spank the C7 in the 60 and 1/4.
Sorry big fella but no rant here, that was your interpretation. This is actually the exact opposite-most entertaining. Winning is fun.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:13 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default They said later this year, The Ring!

GM says that European testing of the 2014 Corvette Stingray will be led by Patrick Hermann, the technical manager at Chevrolet Europe. The tests will be conducted with two pilot C7 Corvettes and will occur in Germany, Switzerland, France and the Netherlands over the next few months.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2013/...ray-in-europe/

You guys are on here more then me?!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
No one want's to hear your excuses. The ZR1 is faster period. And your acclaimed source says otherwise. You finally admitted it with your excuses.

I like sport auto, but at some point they have to keep it real. I don't care who's driving, with all of the straights on the ring, and the extra drag on the RS, there is no one who would legitimately be faster in a 3.8 RS vs a ZR1. Probably not a GT-R either given it's ease of drive.

Putting that in black and white is immediate loss of credibility. And even a GT2 RS beating the ZR1 by what 10 seconds.

ROFL. Surely HvS has no incentive to be faster in German cars in Germany on a world renowned German track would he/they? For anyone looking for an honest heads up comparison, this is not it. They tested the Viper at like 8:13. lololol.

I have not mentioned one thing about the Turbo S. Which is almost 20 seconds slower than the ZR1 with test drivers, but only 6 slower with HvS behind the wheel?

Abomination.

Sport Auto needs to keep it real.
heavychevy, you said Porsche reported their times to .00. That has been proven to be flat out false, with multiple references to whole numbers.
You said Porsche segments their time. Pending any evidence on your part, that too should be regarded as false. If you had the evidence, you would have provided it by now.
You say only Sport Auto matches Porsche's claimed times and then move the goalposts when another magazine also witnesses or conducts matching times. For your information, Evo Magazine (in which Marc Basseng was published matching exactly the Carrera GT's time) hails from the UK. Not German. AutoExpress is likewise out of the UK.
And oh, yeah. As if American mags don't likewise have a vested interest in favoring American cars? Please. Car and Driver, Automobile Mag, and Road & Track were ranking the C6 as faster and/or better than the 997 S when it was first released. Tests in Germany, and on neutral ground in the UK, painted a very different story.
You keep forgetting that the 'Ring also has things called corners. And unlike other tracks, there's more than 10 of them. What the GT3 can lose on the straights, it can more than make up for in the corners or braking zones. The GT-R has been doing the same thing to plenty of other cars with better power/wt ratios and fatter tires for years now.
As for the SRT-10, it's perfectly conceivable that Dodge didn't develop the car on the 'Ring, where the bumps and cambers can play havoc with its suspension. Those gigantic wheels and tires look great and no doubt grip like crazy on a smooth circuit, but on a real-world road (or as close to it as you'd find, on the 'Ring), it's a different matter.
You are still referencing the ZR1 on PS2 tires before it received Cup tires and aero tweeks. Claimed manufacturer time difference between the Turbo S and ZR1 on PS2 was only 11 seconds. Not 20. We won't know what Sport Auto gets in it until GM submits the latest ZR1 for testing. Which they've had over 2 years to do. And you did mention the Turbos here (of which the Turbo S is a member):
"All of the above cars I mention have been spanking GT3's, Turbo's and even the GT2 all over the world,"

Have you driven a GT-R to its true limit? Yeah, right.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 PM
joetz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427bob
No, no, snob appeal. The seats are uncomfortable, the outside is so dated it's a joke, the car is waaaay over priced, the front end flaps up and down (lousy aero) and most who drive them are so full of themselves it's pathetic.
I owned 1 Porsche and couldn't unload it fast enough.

If Notch said he owned a Porsche, I would not be surprised.

BB
I'm surprised you didn't find some redeeming qualities. I had a 2008 C6 and a 2005 911 Carrera S. I thought the Porsche's steering was in a completely different league in terms of feedback, accuracy, and weighting and found I could go much faster on unfamiliar roads because of all the information being channeled back into my hands. Porsches are very communicative cars. With the Corvette you just had to have faith and the fit and finish wasn't as good either. I think both cars have their pros and cons. I actually found the Corvette to be a much better car for the straight, flat, florida roads I drive on and generally preferred it despite it's faults, but if I lived in the mountains, I would probably prefer driving the Porsche

I'm really interested in seeing how the new versions of both cars compare because Porsche has lost their one huge advantage over the corvette when they switched from hydraulic to electric steering. Everyone says the new 911's steering isn't as good as the previous generation's steering. The C7 corvette is said to have a much more communicative chassis than before, with better seats and better quality. So it looks like Porsche has lost it's strength and the Corvette team has addressed the Corvette's weaknesses, so I'm excited to see how the two compare against one another.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
And unlike other tracks, there's more than 10 of them. What the GT3 can lose on the straights, it can more than make up for in the corners or braking zones.

Is the above quote referencing the GT3 versus a ZR1 on cup tires at the Ring? I'm not familiar with the Sport Auto test.... the above would imply that the GT3 will outlap the ZR1 on a horsepower track, which goes against my experience.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
Is the above quote referencing the GT3 versus a ZR1 on cup tires at the Ring? I'm not familiar with the Sport Auto test.... the above would imply that the GT3 will outlap the ZR1 on a horsepower track, which goes against my experience.
No, I'm talking about the Sport Auto test, for which GM has only submitted the ZR1 on PS2.
Another thing about the 'Ring is that even though the straights can favor high hp cars, they're not always smooth and flat. Some will have a slight kink, some will have a massive compression near the end which will affect how a car is set up for the corner, some will have a crest also affecting how a car is set up for the next corner. The Sport Auto test is not a test of how fast a car can ultimately go, after dozens or hundreds of laps of practice like the factory drivers get. It is somewhat like, as joetz mentioned, the unfamiliar road scenario, except it is the car that is the variable (though the track itself can change from lap to lap). The more confidence the car gives, the faster a driver is willing to push it.
In the case of the ZR1, HvS was going airborne in places and the car would sometimes land unpredictably. drmustang can slag the GT3's wing as "ricer" all he wants, but it can produce up to 58 kg of downforce @ 200 kph. In the same windtunnel, the ZR1 produced 14 kg of lift at the rear. Nevertheless, it did produce a net gain on the final straight that was 19 kph higher than the GT3 RS.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I was surprised the new gt3 video from evo had the mcLaren comparison on the track but not the GatR..

The GTR was used for road driving which seemed weird. Isn't the GTR supposed to be a track monster? Wouldn't the Evo video been better if the GTR ran against the gt3 on the track as well?

Would the GTR have been quicker on the track than the new Gt3?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
I was and it was pretty awesome.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:06 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

You're entitled to your opinion Doc! I've seen some pretty hot women on the arm of some pretty ugly dudes, point being beauty is in the eye!

P.S. that car stopped traffic, no one disliked its graphics.
We don't need to agree on everything but a GT3 in any color or package is a great car IMO.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder which one will blow first, the tick-tock or the tick-tick-tick.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

I'm not writing any articles or anything (although I did drive one of the Stingrays that apparently MotorTrend is going to be using for something next week) but I am working as a pro-driver on the Stingray launch program. We have a 991 Carrera S ($100K) that we compare against a 3LT Z51 configured car and I will tell you the Corvette stands head and shoulders above the 911 from a performance perspective and matches, if not edges out the 911 in interior and fit-n-finish comparison.

I concur with you completely. What I saw at Laguna Seca with a Pro driver was very impressive, and they extolled all the virtues of the C7 without any hesitation. I also think the fit and finish is on par if not better than the P-car.

Get notified of new replies

To New Magazine test of C7 vs 911

Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM
texel
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you knock Sport Auto to much here is their Hockenheim times.. Corvettes did quite well..http://www.sportauto.de/rundenzeiten...itHH&order=ASC
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

That's the bottom line...appreciate your first hand experience.......
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
Good to hear that the C7 rips the ***** off the 911s for half the money. So much for all that superior "German engineering", what a bunch of BS. Even better to hear it from a professional driver who has fully evaluated both. Your fit, finish, and interior quality comparison is also most note worthy. There are a number of Porsche humpers here who have themselves convinced of the Porsche being superior in non performance categories. Never believed that myself from personal experience and exposure to Porsche "quality".
I owned a 911. I bought a '95 brand new. Four months later, Porsche had to buy it back under the lemon law. It was in the shop more than it was on the road. I also owned a 300ZXTT at the same time. The Porsche did have it's strengths, but quality was not one of them. The Nissan was the equal of the Porsche at the limit, albeit a bit scarier to drive fast. In all other areas (comfort, reliability, fit and finish) the Nissan smoked it. I was actually thrilled that the car failed so miserably and Porsche had to give me ALL my money back. I enjoyed the Z much more and chose to drive it even when the Porsche was not in the shop.

Both cars were better than the C4, but when the C5 was released, I dumped the Z and was back in a Vette. Of course, newer 911's are much better cars than the 993, 996, and 997 and deserve props for making a rear-engined car so drivable, but nothing about the experience makes me want to ever own another one.

Quick Reply: New Magazine test of C7 vs 911