C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 test fleet completed 1,000,000 miles of real world testing last week....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U
So, let me get this straight, you would go through 3 years of pre-production, to develop a new vehicle, then manufacture only 100 cars to put on the roads for another 3 years, before building any more to release to the public? What would your employees do for that 3 year period while you were "effectively testing the car"? Would you pay them their full wage? What about the Millions you invested in new technology, engineering, plant updates, machinery, etc.? Would you just pay interest only for 3 years on all the $ you borrowed? OH, and all those suppliers that you contracted to build parts for your new vehicle, would you pay them to set idle for 3 years while you got the bugs out? You might put a little more thought into your posts before making this kind of absurd statement!
Sure, because after 3 years of testing 100 cars for 100k miles (for a total of 10 million long term test miles) the cars would be as close to perfect as those who hate them think they should be to be considered successful.
Let's also not forget the fact that after those three years of testing are up, GM would have already needed to have started the testing on the C8 to keep pace with any competitors and the market.

I know you probably put some time into your response, unfortunately, you didn't catch the sarcasm in my initial post. There are clearly going to be C7 detractors who crow that GM didn't test the car enough (even though I'm sure it was road tested at least as much as the C4, C5 and C6 was) and it's doomed to be a quality failure.
S.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RC000E
Is this a serious statement that you believe to be viable?
See above.

S.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

GM started testing the first mules in the 4th quarter of 2010. By late 2011 they hand built 86 cars they call IVers and put over 1.5 million miles on those cars, all before the current cars seen across the country were built.

http://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/8...s#.UhosEmR4bq8
Old 08-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
GM started testing the first mules in the 4th quarter of 2010. By late 2011 they hand built 86 cars they call IVers and put over 1.5 million miles on those cars, all before the current cars seen across the country were built.

http://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/8...s#.UhosEmR4bq8
So really...GM has done closer to 3 million miles with those mules and the 200 cars in the production test fleet. Not bad. Not good enough for some on here though.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kappa
So really...GM has done closer to 3 million miles with those mules and the 200 cars in the production test fleet. Not bad. Not good enough for some on here though.
If 3 million miles is good, 6 million miles would be better.
Given the advanced state of computer-aided design and the sophistication of modern simulation devices, we asked Holder if the C7 required less real-world testing than previous Corvette generations. A 15-year GM veteran who worked on the previous two Corvettes, Holder says the C7 underwent the same amount of physical hardware testing as its C5 and C6 predecessors. “Cars have gotten more complex, which requires more testing and analysis,” he explained. The difference, he says, is that the predictive tools take a lot of trial and error out of the process, leading to better results. This is especially true with aerodynamics, where the use of computational fluid dynamics has made airflow management less of a black art. Still, the C7 spent over 700 hours in the wind tunnel, and there is no substitute for having a living, breathing test driver check for potential issues like wind noise.

The same is true of testing subjective aspects of the driving experience like ride quality; here, the human element is key. The IVer fleet pounded plenty of pavement—no less than 1.5 million miles, to be exact. That’s 60 times around the globe. At General Motor’s expansive Milford Proving Ground outside of Detroit, at Michelin’s Laurens Proving Grounds in South Carolina and at racetracks across the country, C7 prototypes were subjected to myriad forms of abuse. Previous tests were verified, build quality was validated, durability was proven and performance boundaries were pushed. Though IVers were exposed to temperature and weather extremes in GM’s full-size simulators—from minus 40-degree F temperatures to monsoon rain—that didn’t keep test drivers from conducting real-world tests in harsh conditions.
I would rather have seen at least 150 times around the globe...as in they actually drove the IVer fleet around the world.
S.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll buy all you can find for a "dime a dozen"!!!!!! At full production only about 30,000 C7's will be built the first year. You will not see them "everywhere" until the 3rd or 4th year of production. And so what if you do? They are meant to be seen and driven. If you want a car that no one else has, then cough up a million or so bucks and buy one of the "exotics".
Or buy a Viper for a lot less.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman

I would rather have seen at least 150 times around the globe...as in they actually drove the IVer fleet around the world.
S.
When the car is in a shipping container crossing the ocean, does that count towards the 3 million miles?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When the car is in a shipping container crossing the ocean, does that count towards the 3 million miles?
I'm sure you can be more inventive than this, Joe. You know, like when you were inventing a supposed frame-related issue in the C7's and casually mentioning it in this section.
S.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

S.
Well, obviously you know better than the engineers at GM.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbobndt
Yes, it was raining. There was also a rumor that the C7 driver didn't WAVE at someone, but that's a completely different story.

That’s very impressive. Doesn’t look like the passenger compartment of the C7 was compromised. It even looks like the Town Car got the worst of it, and the Town Car is a very heavy well built car.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:44 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by mb1
My wife saw a C7 in Alpharetta, Ga last week. It moved too quickly for her to get out her phone for a pic. I've not seen any in Georgia otherwise but was glad to hear that there was one roaming around.
Dang,I missed it!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 PM
0-60B4U
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, because after 3 years of testing 100 cars for 100k miles (for a total of 10 million long term test miles) the cars would be as close to perfect as those who hate them think they should be to be considered successful.
Let's also not forget the fact that after those three years of testing are up, GM would have already needed to have started the testing on the C8 to keep pace with any competitors and the market.

I know you probably put some time into your response, unfortunately, you didn't catch the sarcasm in my initial post. There are clearly going to be C7 detractors who crow that GM didn't test the car enough (even though I'm sure it was road tested at least as much as the C4, C5 and C6 was) and it's doomed to be a quality failure.
S.
Sorry S, I didn't catch the sarcasm! Haven't been on CF long enough to pick up on the subtle humor.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry S, I didn't catch the sarcasm! Haven't been on CF long enough to pick up on the subtle humor.
No problem.

S.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by RC000E
Is this a serious statement that you believe to be viable?
w. Kappa. it's sarcasm.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I wonder how many LS7's dropped valve during the first 5,000 miles, or how many Vegas were burning 1 quart of oil every 200 miles, or had the body full of holes due to rust, during the first 5,000 miles,etc
How many LS7's have dropped valves at all? Can you verify that number?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 PM
C7Z51_2014
Instructor

So, let me get this straight, you would go through 3 years of pre-production, to develop a new vehicle, then manufacture only 100 cars to put on the roads for another 3 years, before building any more to release to the public? What would your employees do for that 3 year period while you were "effectively testing the car"? Would you pay them their full wage? What about the Millions you invested in new technology, engineering, plant updates, machinery, etc.? Would you just pay interest only for 3 years on all the $ you borrowed? OH, and all those suppliers that you contracted to build parts for your new vehicle, would you pay them to set idle for 3 years while you got the bugs out? You might put a little more thought into your posts before making this kind of absurd statement!
And... How would you adjust to changing technology during the three years?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 649 Likes on 347 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

+1

Get notified of new replies

To C7 test fleet completed 1,000,000 miles of real world testing last week....

Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
135 cars a day, thats ridiculous. Wonder why base price is 51k if they sell all of these, Corvettes will be everywhere in a year. Just like usual. These will be a dime a dozen next year at this time.
So, what you're saying is that I should wait until this time next year so I can buy a C7 for under $0.01?

Cool.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:34 AM
illiceman11
Advanced

All the neg. people here.Wow.GM knows what they are doing.If you don,t like it go to another brand.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:27 PM
bigwoolyg
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 32 Posts

Choose 1:

Quick
cheap
or perfect

developers and engineers strive for all three but there's time to market, and all that time you are burning dollars you *hope* to recoup in sales. those budgets are very limited and very tightly managed even (and especially now) in a mega-company like GM.

they have to get the product selling and yeah, there are going to be bugs turned up when it gets in the publics hands and that's what warranty and incremental improvements model year to model year are all about.

Quick Reply: C7 test fleet completed 1,000,000 miles of real world testing last week....