Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

C7 test fleet needs to be handing out automatic c7 models to these magazine testers...they forgot how to launch a manual...

They are just overlooking the launch..

I would guess their 60 ft s a 2.4 where if they just calmed down they launch consistently a 2.0

J!O
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have blue how do you equate that article to a win? The Viper always has been hard to handle just like the article says, the C7 got spanked at it should have. The numbers were disappointing at best for the C7.

Jerri the Viper is a manual too, the numbers there showed well don't you think?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 AM
HBJG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"And, hey, you—Facebook guy; the taillights really don't look like a Camaro's. If you don't like them, that's fine. From your vantage point, they'll get smaller very quickly, anyway."
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...y/viewall.html
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by haveblue
One comparo down, one victory C7.
What video were you watching.?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 AM
haveblue
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
have blue how do you equate that article to a win? The Viper always has been hard to handle just like the article says, the C7 got spanked at it should have. The numbers were disappointing at best for the C7.
Hi Big Dan 427,

I was going off the next to last paragraph:

"Because of its much lower price, manners that are easy to live with in daily use and still astonishing performance, the Corvette takes a narrow win here. It is the one car you can drive comfortably every day and still use to dominate a track day. Built around an impregnable structure, overstuffed with technology that actually improves the driving experience, and so easygoing you can commute in it with one finger on the wheel, it's this year's great leap forward for the entire breed of sports cars."

The Viper was about 30 grand more expensive for about .7 sec increase in lap time.

Except for the price differential, this comaparo reminded me of the old 911 vs Corvette tests, except this time the Viper takes the role of the Vette, and the C7 as the 911.

Viper=Old Vette= Great numbers, fast, intense, but crude.

C7=911= Weaker numbers, better feel, less intense, better all round car.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

C7 straightline #'s seem a bit slow but it did well in braking and the slalom

0-60 4.3
1/4 12.39 @ 113

Also from Edmunds....

4.5 seconds(4.2 sec with 1 foot rollout) 0-60
12.5@116................................ .............................2002 C5 Z06

4.5 seconds(4.2 sec with 1 foot rollout) 0-60
12.5@115.1.............................. ............................2010 GS

4.2 seconds(3.9 sec with 1 foot rollout) 0-60
11.8@123................................ ............................2011 Z06 carbon

3.9 seconds(3.6 sec with 1 foot rollout) 0-60
11.7@123.2.............................. ...........................2008 Z06

At 60 MPH, .2 seconds is equal to one car length.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-28-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Very disappointing acceleration times. Low trap speed. Like I said in another post, the performance in a straight line is on par with a C5 Z06!

Last edited by meadowz06; 08-28-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 AM
haveblue
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
What video were you watching.?
The one that went with the article that said:

"Because of its much lower price, manners that are easy to live with in daily use and still astonishing performance, the Corvette takes a narrow win here."
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd consider a win being both cars in my garage. When you consider price, fuel consumption and a measly 200 hp difference I'd consider it more of a little pat on the butt than a spanking.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Snorman
The '13 Vipers are not selling well. Dealers have been sitting on cars for months.
I understand there may be a bit of a back story to this specific point, and it was a massive miss-step by SRT. Basically, they allowed a series of dealers to order their showroom cars first, with whatever options they wanted. Then the customers were allowed to order.

Like Corvette dealers, Viper dealers are apparently very good at optioning up "showy" Vipers that no one wants. And that they made the customers second-class citizens regarding orders pissed a bunch of folks off.

I think these magazine comparos between the Viper and Vette are amusing and interesting, but our friends at GM really don't care. I've stated it before and I'll state it again (from a position of some knowledge on the topic) - Team Corvette isn't targeting Viper. They never really have been.

Also, with the massive sets of miss-steps by SRT, I can foresee a time when FIAT sacks them completely. I hope I'm wrong because I like having a second American sports car that can slap the snot out of the other makes and models. But I just don't think FIAT is going to keep feeding SRT the funds it needs to keep the Viper going. Specially with them screwing up so epically as they have been over the last year.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt they liked the manners of the Vette better, GM seems to have done a great job with the chassis but the speed numbers leave me unimpressed. The braking is excellent and the slalom is not a factor really, the numbers that count are 1/4 mile and 0-60 and the Viper dominates. It also appears to me the C7 was a Z51 and the viper a base w/out the track pack, yes it's 30k more but it's not a mass produced dime a dozen car.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I need help? Take a look at your avatar!
Yes, I'm sure everyone would agree that you posting your deviant sexual fantasies on the forums is far more normal than an avatar from a science fiction TV show. Like I said, you need help.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
My friend at work just took delivery of a 2013 Viper GTS, Stryker Red Edition.

Very, very beautiful car. Just stunning from all angles, especially in that color, which changes hue based on the angle of the sun. Really highlights the curves well.

And as much as I love the exterior, I was equally impressed with the interior. I actually thought it was pretty easy to get in and out of. I just needed to change the method of entry and egress. Rather than putting one leg into the car, sitting, then putting the other leg in, I'd instead sit in the seat with both feet outside the car, then swing them in at the same time. Was actually pretty easy. I also thought the seats were just perfect. I'm about 5' 11" and 180 lbs, so not huge, but not as lean as I should be either. Found the seats to be very comfortable. Snug, but overly so. What I would like for a track day, but also comfortable for street driving as long as you don't try and move around much. Great lumbar support that helped distribute the weight. Huge amounts of leg room. With the seat tilted way back and the headrest just about touching the back wall, I couldn't reach the front of the footwell.

Also, the layout of the interior was great. Nicely symmetric in terms of vents and stereo, everything was logical. HVAC had great rotary *****. Materials were very nice. This was a two tone red/black (a bit like a C7 2LT red in terms of color location, but the Viper had more red on the doors). Nice aluminum accents. Much better steering wheel than the C7.

Finally, the acceleration was just brutal. Literally had me LOL due to the sheer ridiculousness of it. Definitely need more of that type of craziness in today's world IMO. Loved the details in the IP, the little plastic/metal surrounds on the digital gauges. I actually thought the ride was quite good (suspension was set to softest of the two settings). Only complaint was the exhaust. Seemed a bit too loud for a cruise.

Still, I was just incredibly impressed with the car. But, I've been dreaming of a Viper since about 1996, so I was a already in love before riding in it.

It's a bit more car than I really want to own, so I'm looking forward to having a C7 Z51 with the Comp Seats when they become available. Still, on a scale of 1 to Bonkers, the Viper rates an 11 (not even sure what that means, only that the Viper was just amazing).

-T
The video of Stryker Red application is beautiful, they use mercury and hand sand between coats in an 8 hour process. Twice the price of the C7 but it's a work of art.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No doubt they liked the manners of the Vette better, GM seems to have done a great job with the chassis but the speed numbers leave me unimpressed. The braking is excellent and the slalom is not a factor really, the numbers that count are 1/4 mile and 0-60 and the Viper dominates. It also appears to me the C7 was a Z51 and the viper a base w/out the track pack, yes it's 30k more but it's not a mass produced dime a dozen car.
"Dead heat till 40 mph". Gee, wonder what adding 200 hp and larger tires/wheels to a C7 will do to the Viper? If you thought the old ZR1 smacked it down, wait for this one!

A $30k more Viper with no track pack and worse brakes? Sh*tty value for sure. No wonder they are sitting. Folks are waiting for the Corvette.

Gee, 355s vs 285s and the Vette still out drove it in the slalom and the skid pad. "Slalom is not a factor"...did you see that Viper's body roll in the video?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
"Dead heat till 40 mph". Gee, wonder what adding 200 hp and larger tires/wheels to a C7 will do to the Viper? If you thought the old ZR1 smacked it down, wait for this one!

A $30k more Viper with no track pack and worse brakes? Sh*tty value for sure. No wonder they are sitting. Folks are waiting for the Corvette.

Gee, 355s vs 285s and the Vette still out drove it in the slalom and the skid pad. "Slalom is not a factor"...did you see that Viper's body roll in the video?
I thought you guys were saying that the skinny tires on the C7 were just as good as the wide tires on the C6 Z06. Now you're saying the C7 needs wide tires to keep up with a car that has wide tires. Which is it?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
In LA now: 2013 Vipers already advertised for 13 grand off MSRP. Vettes dealers are asking over MSRP.

May tell you something.
Yea, dealers are greedy & there are idiots that will pay over MSRP for a car.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

113 MPH trap?

Get notified of new replies

To Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test

Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I thought you guys were saying that the skinny tires on the C7 were just as good as the wide tires on the C6 Z06. Now you're saying the C7 needs wide tires to keep up with a car that has wide tires. Which is it?
Wake up Joe. Clearly, the C7 didn't need wider tires on the slalom or the skid pad to own a $30k pricier Viper. The real issue is the hp difference but you know the next model C7 will have wider tires. I don't recall GM ever saying there wouldn't be any wider tires with more hp.

What does this have to do with your Z06? Are you feeling left out of the conversation?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
Yea, dealers are greedy & there are idiots that will pay over MSRP for a car.
And C7's can be purchased for a couple thousand under MSRP, even though the vast majority of dealers are asking MSRP..
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Wake up Joe. Clearly, the C7 didn't need wider tires on the slalom or the skid pad to own a $30k pricier Viper. The real issue is the hp difference but you know the next model C7 will have wider tires. I don't recall GM ever saying there wouldn't be any wider tires with more hp.

What does this have to do with your Z06? Are you feeling left out of the conversation?
me wake up......LOL...you are the one that is wondering what wider tires added to a C7 would do.

Quick Reply: Edmunds 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs. 2013 SRT Viper Track Test