Sponsored by:

C7s at Baltimore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:57 PM
SWO99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7s at Baltimore Grand Prix

As I hoped, I was able to see three C7s (four if you count the chassis model) up in Baltimore yesterday.

Let me first admit I was there with the BMW Car Club (oh no!) and my kids and were rooting on various teams. I was in the paddock when both the C6R and the Viper GTS-R came in after warm up - pretty awesome. The race itself wasn't all that great (TV does wonders) with a 75 min red flag. The day was great however, with lots of cars, attractions for the kids, lots of beer (thanks to the BMW folks for the open "tasting bar").

On to the C7. Well it's big and it's American, and it looks great. Not being around even C6s, I forget how big the cars, at least visually. Several ZO6, GS, ZR1s in the Corvette coral areas. Now I get the whole "wide body" thing though I sort of prefer the minimalist Pcar look with the slightly larger greenhouses. Form follows function and all.

My favorite was the Cyber Gray Z51 LT3 with silver wheels. A nice constrained aggression look that is perfect. I had two kids and the wife in tow (she liked it - not loved it like the Aston Martins around the corner or the F430) so I didn't dwell in the details - but the holistic impression of the car. The back end looks....good. With the gray, the carbon flash elements are not highlighted, and the cut off line is at or below knee level. The silver wheels were nice, but I think I'd want comp gray if offered. The windows were open, but you could not sit in the car. Suede seats and dash. Nothing noticeably out of place or inappropriate - the interior looked correct for the market segment.

The other two cars were a light blue non-Z51 w/ chrome wheels, Z51 spoiler, chrome wheels and hood striker. Not as effective in looking refined I'm afraid. The yellow with black, exposed carbon fiber roof, black wheels, mirrors and spoiler was not my cup of tea but a more cohesive package. Very muscle car - but not really C6Rish.

Again, very nicely done as a whole package. My wants - debadge (my wife liked the stingrays), darker wheels, and a bit of a small drop in ride height, and a bit of lip to get the front visually closer to the ground.

Last edited by SWO99; 09-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:21 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Too bad the BGP has been a complete **** show as far as racing goes!

WIsh I knew C7s would be there, I'd have gone to see up close.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:32 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Sounds like Misses wouldn't be adverse to you bringing one home someday.

That's not all bad.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:12 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

I was at the race this weekend and went looking for them today (Sunday) and they were all gone...Even had an official Chevy Racing guy try and help me to no avail. After many minutes of checking and a few phone calls, he said they all left yesterday.

Since all the C7's had left town, every one else was drooling over the Red Viper...there were throngs of people checking it out. I was lucky enough to see many C7's at Carlisle, but my wife was with me today and I really wanted her to see firsthand what will be in our garage shortly.

In my opinion, since today was the major event of the weekend, it was a missed opportunity to market the car to race fans, many of which are there target audience.

Last edited by BPhillyc8; 09-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:07 AM
Bmorevette
Racer

Originally Posted by BPhillyc7
I was at the race this weekend and went looking for them today (Sunday) and they were all gone...Even had an official Chevy Racing guy try and help me to no avail. After many minutes of checking and a few phone calls, he said they all left yesterday.

Since all the C7's had left town, every one else was drooling over the Red Viper...there were throngs of people checking it out. I was lucky enough to see many C7's at Carlisle, but my wife was with me today and I really wanted her to see firsthand what will be in our garage shortly.

In my opinion, since today was the major event of the weekend, it was a missed opportunity to market the car to race fans, many of which are there target audience.
I was there on Saturday and saw the yellow, blue, and gray ones. Today I couldn't attend because I was working in the surrounding areas.I saw a dark green c7 with Michigan plates on Lombard street. I was in awe because that was the first time i heard and saw one in motion.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 AM
SWO99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Sounds like Misses wouldn't be adverse to you bringing one home someday.

That's not all bad.
Her words: "I wouldn't object to one in the garage"
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I can understand your frustration but even tho there are dozens of C7s, they literally move all over the country, to shows, races, etc. I guess all those cars being produced but stored at the plant parking lot have to be reserved for actual buyers. Shortly, there will be cars in most places, just not quite yet.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks. Not a big deal really. I just wanted my wife to see what we ordered. I saw dozens of people in the crowd wearing Corvette shirts of one kind or another. They would have gone crazy to see the new C7. My comment was based mainly on a missed marketing opportunity. Cheers.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm just glad Baltimore is gone from the schedule next year...railroad tracks along with that ridiculous chicane setup....I wont miss it.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 AM
SWO99
Intermediate

Thanks. Not a big deal really. I just wanted my wife to see what we ordered. I saw dozens of people in the crowd wearing Corvette shirts of one kind or another. They would have gone crazy to see the new C7. My comment was based mainly on a missed marketing opportunity. Cheers.
The gray corvette racing shirts? - they were free from the Chevy stand.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree. And there have been a few. Still, if you ordered one, it will be great for her to see it for the very first time in person! Bon chance!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I'm just glad Baltimore is gone from the schedule next year...railroad tracks along with that ridiculous chicane setup....I wont miss it.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Chappie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Has a 2014 USCR schedule been released? I thought the chicane was the most entertaining portion of the track, especially with the 911s. My wife and I watched several 911s come off the last curb with three wheels in the air and then get air under the front wheels going over the railroad tracks! Awesome stuff.

The sound of the C6Rs going up through the gears on the straight was glorious. I hope the USCR does come back to Baltimore, because I thought the crowds were bigger for the ALMS than it was for IndyCars.

Chappie
Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

I had a great time at the event. Perhaps too much carnage but still great to see em race on streets. Would love to go again.

Agreed on the sound of the Vette's. I got the free shirt and a few pics of the body off car they brought.

Get notified of new replies

To C7s at Baltimore Grand Prix

Quick Reply: C7s at Baltimore Grand Prix