Sponsored by:

C7 seems a lot like Lexus LFA.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:11 PM
stubone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C7 seems a lot like Lexus LFA.

Only better. Watch jay lenos garage YouTube video. The LFA is the first car I thought of when I first saw a c7 and after just watching the video it seems they are very similar aside for the $400,000 price tag.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Respectfully they are on two different planets!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To my eye not in any way whatsoever more than Corvette would have in common with any sportscar with the engine in front of the driver.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They are not really alike outside of some basic configuration principles (front-engine, rear transaxle with torque tube, naturally aspirated, RWD, 2-seaters), but underneath there is one area I find both are similar in philosophy. The attention in striving for more rearward weight bias, as evidenced by the rear-mounted coolers and fans (transaxle for the C7, engine radiator and even windshield wiper bottle for the LFA). Similar intake ducting too.

C7:

LFA:
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 PM
c5vette73
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 90 Posts

Wish the C6 sounded like that!

None of this NPP stuff.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Please don't compare my Corvette to a Toyota
Even if it is an expensive and fast Toyota
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I, as often as I can, must plug that I was one of the few non-Toyota employees to drive the LFA prototype in 2010. I can tell you, that upon driving it I immediately stated it was the most a,azing car I'd ever driven (and I've driven a lot of exotics). The LFA is pure excellence. People will attempt to nitpick the car, but the entire experience I've had with the car changed me...its that good. Corvette is an awesome car but it'll NEVER be an LFA, nor does it claim to be.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by RC000E
I, as often as I can, must plug that I was one of the few non-Toyota employees to drive the LFA prototype in 2010. I can tell you, that upon driving it I immediately stated it was the most a,azing car I'd ever driven (and I've driven a lot of exotics). The LFA is pure excellence. People will attempt to nitpick the car, but the entire experience I've had with the car changed me...its that good. Corvette is an awesome car but it'll NEVER be an LFA, nor does it claim to be.
Can you even imagine what the Corvette Team would come up with a model at that price point. All I feel confident about is that it would be AWESOME
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I wonder what the new Supra is going to be like, especially of they twin turbo it
Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jncwags
Hey...at least you might be able to buy the Lexus. So far, GM is just BLAH, BLAH with the Vett......
Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
I wonder what the new Supra is going to be like, especially of they twin turbo it
I wish they'd sum to take on the gtr at a much lower price point like the vette does against Porsche etc.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill B 1

Based upon his silence since his little flurry of activity in this and another thread, I would guess that he has left the building, and not voluntarily
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by C7pimp
I wish they'd sum to take on the gtr at a much lower price point like the vette does against Porsche etc.
It's probably in their scopes don't know at what price point though.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Can you even imagine what the Corvette Team would come up with a model at that price point. All I feel confident about is that it would be AWESOME
Well, also understand that toyota loses approx $500k per LFA sold. The car was simply an excersize to build something incredible. I assure you, this car isnt just about the raw performance numbers...its the experience of driving it, sitting in it and HEARING it inside. The car did everything so right...I just was changed the day I drove it. You could daily that car to work, or destroy cars at the track...its an amazing machine. Nothing exists on that car without a purpose. There is a lot about the body people dont know even, when it comes to aero, that was explained to me by the engineers. Its a fantastic machine and worth every damn cent!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Well, also understand that toyota loses approx $500k per LFA sold. The car was simply an excersize to build something incredible. I assure you, this car isnt just about the raw performance numbers...its the experience of driving it, sitting in it and HEARING it inside. The car did everything so right...I just was changed the day I drove it. You could daily that car to work, or destroy cars at the track...its an amazing machine. Nothing exists on that car without a purpose. There is a lot about the body people dont know even, when it comes to aero, that was explained to me by the engineers. Its a fantastic machine and worth every damn cent!
I doubt NONE of that.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 PM
1986C4Z51
Instructor

Everybody here does know that the C6 ZR1 was considerably faster than the LFA at the 'Ring and I think every other place that they've been tested together, right? However, I wish a Vette sounded a little more like the LFA.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 AM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

You know the LFA did not initially come to mind when I first saw the C7.
It was certainly a car discussed as a potential style cue influence, a point of light in the early days of this forum, but the focus became much more grounded on the GTR.

So now looking over the LFA, I can see a striking styling cue that seems to be emulated on the C7 in particular the rear.
Overall I still feel the the primary inspiration [i.e. benchmark] was the Ferrari Berlinetta.
What's more interesting to me is that I do not seen any influence on the C7 based on the C-X-16 [F type] concept from jag in the day.
Particularly the integrated spoiler that Porsche and Jag were adopting.

IMHO

Last edited by User 2623; 09-03-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 seems a lot like Lexus LFA.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:35 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

No doubt the LFA is a great car, but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me.

I love many of the individual parts of the car, but I feel it was let down by the transmission. The single clutch automatic just seems so half-assed in a car of its caliber.

Love the engine, love the IP with its clever mechanical/electronic integration, love the interior, but was not blown away by the overall package. I think the looks are part of it, coupled with the transmission, coupled with the relatively high weight and insane cost. I always felt that a 458 Italia was a much better overall package.

I really hope Lexus makes a second version that gets a dual clutch transmission, gets the weight down a bit, and cleans up the looks a bit.

Of course if I drove one I'm sure I'd change my mind.

-T
Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

LFA would have been a huge hit at around $100K.

For over $300K it is a very bad, very sad joke.

Seriously who would spend that much on a company who hasn't made a real Hi-Po sports car since 1993?

Also does not look like a Hyper exotic either - It's nice looking and all - like a better looking GTR - But next to a similarly priced Ferrari or Lambo - not even close.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to be a recurring theme by a lot of folks who have driven it.

The ZR1 should be faster, given the power, torque, and tire advantage. The LFA's tires are of a similar tread pattern to that which you can find on some BMW 1-Series (and some of those BMWs have even better tires, with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport). Toyota's vision with the LFA was similar to that of their approach to the GT86: to deliver a great driver's car, at the expense of outright pace. In German tests with completely stock cars (meaning full lux interior in the LFA with 8-way power adjustable seats, 12-speaker 1000-watt audio system, side-impact and head and driver's knee airbags), they record similar numbers on the Nordschleife. The hi-po version, the Nurburgring Edition, is a bit faster, and even that is running pretty old tire tech.
458 is better resolved, as it should be given Ferrari's decades-long development of its mid-engined platform. Much of its DCT development was amortized with the California. Nothing else in the lineup (perhaps even the planet) shares the LFA's gearbox, and the last time they built anything so exotic was the 2000GT from the '60s. Which brings up a point: If you can afford the LFA, it might be a better investment than a 458 or GT-R. If the 458 is anything like past Ferraris, there will be over 10k of them running around. A 2000GT fetched $1.15M at auction earlier this year.

Quick Reply: C7 seems a lot like Lexus LFA.