Sponsored by:

2016 zo7

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:04 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Really? Are you, perhaps, moving the goal posts on me? Here's the statement you made earlier in this thread that I replied to:

The "they" in this case was assumed to be GM.

Hm. When I said that GM didn't care what the Viper guys were up to, you specifically replied with:

That combined with the previous quote I included in this thread leads me to believe you do believe GM considers the Viper a competitor.

No, it's not what you said. At least not in the posts I was replying to. Pick a story and stick with it, eh?
My story has been very consistent. Never did I say that GM considered the Viper as a competitor and where you are taking that from my words is a mystery to me. I said the uplevel Corvette and Viper would be competitors. But seeing as how you are not able to grasp what I said, let me put this another way. I agree that GM can target whatever car they want. But they don't control which cars ultimately become competitors in the marketplace - the customers decide that.

You are certainly free to disagree with me, but when you take my statements out of context I'm going to come back and explain what my meaning was. I don't claim that I always explain things as clearly to others as they are in my mind, and I certainly have known you long enough on the forum that I don't mean to get in a pissing contest with you. So please accept that I am clarifying my meaning.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 PM
C6Sixspeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
I got my 2011 Z06/Z07 with a $15,000 discount and I will wait 2 years after the first C7 Z06 type model and will be able to get a great deal.

Look what happened to the C6 Z06.

With the addition of the Z07 package and X pipe the 2011 is a more desirable car than the first 2 years of Z06s.

Always happens like that,,,,,,,,,
2006 Z06 is lighter..nanar nanar...j/k
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Edelbrock actually includes a powertrain warranty with the e-force. Not sure how that works with a car out of factory warranty. Anyone know?
Lot's of "tuners" and suppliers offer warranties. But collecting on them is not always easy. I've seen plenty of examples where the tuner or supplier gets in a pissing match over what actually caused the failure. You are also at the mercy of where you can have the car worked on, and whether the company is still around.

Edelbrock has been around forever and probably means well. But that doesn't mean it will be like taking a bone stock Chevy to a local Chevy dealer for warranty work.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by jschindler
You can say that all you want, but I don't for a second believe that will be reality. GM can say it all they want, but the reality is that a Viper and the "uplevel" Corvette absolutely will be the competitors.

To compete against Porsche, what are they going to do....raise the price $50,000 and lower the horsepower to 400?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
We are not reading 2 different things from GM. There has been NO OFFICIAL WORD from GM on the upcoming Corvette performance variant, period. If you say there has, please show us so that we may all be better informed.

As to the hybrid, the Pres of GM, during the course of an interview, said "I think it’s a very attractive idea, actually. I think it would be really fun to do, I think it would build capability inside our company and I think people would love it. It’s exciting stuff - cool enough not to laugh at.”

He, nor his comments say 'it's in the works'.
gm regular production code (rpo) same as the z28 and the z06 will be the same for the z07.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
gm regular production code (rpo) same as the z28 and the z06 will be the same for the z07.
^ Could you restate that into a complete sentence and provide the GM Official Source location confirming a high-pro version of the Stingray . . . or do you just want to continue playing in your magazine mis-information world?

Or let's just conclude it this way. According to Talon90, one of the most informed and respected long term contributors to the Forum:

"There has not been anything official on the plans, proposals or even existence of a high performance variant of the Stingray. What GM is willing and able to talk about at this point and the foreseeable future is the 2014 Stingray coupe and convertible. Anything beyond that and everything you have seen published to this point is pure speculation"

You might want to reconsider your all knowing and powerful OZ proclamation of facts to others (" if your buying a new c7 you might want to keep this in mind . there will be a 600hp. + z07 but no zr1 in the coming 2016 yr" ) until and unless your sources on information are more than glossy covered monthly magazines . . . .

Last edited by michaelinmech; 09-05-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=michaelinmech;1584850711]^ Could you restate that into a complete sentence and provide the GM Official Source location confirming a high-pro version of the Stingray . . . or do you just want to continue playing in your magazine mis-information world?

Or let's just conclude it this way. According to Talon90, one of the most informed and respected long term contributors to the Forum:

"There has not been anything official on the plans, proposals or even existence of a high performance variant of the Stingray. What GM is willing and able to talk about at this point and the foreseeable future is the 2014 Stingray coupe and convertible. Anything beyond that and everything you have seen published to this point is pure speculation.

whats your point ? if you want more info call gm......or do you just want to prove some un known point . if you don't think thier going to build one ,,,then think it . do you want me to draw you a pic.? there was no info on the c7 did you doubt gm then ?.......but think what you want ,i have no more time for you..................have a great day
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ Could you restate that into a complete sentence and provide the GM Official Source location confirming a high-pro version of the Stingray . . . or do you just want to continue playing in your magazine mis-information world?

"There has not been anything official on the plans, proposals or even existence of a high performance variant of the Stingray. What GM is willing and able to talk about at this point and the foreseeable future is the 2014 Stingray coupe and convertible. Anything beyond that and everything you have seen published to this point is pure speculation"

You might want to reconsider your all knowing and powerful OZ proclamation of facts to others (" if your buying a new c7 you might want to keep this in mind . there will be a 600hp. + z07 but no zr1 in the coming 2016 yr" ) until and unless your sources on information are more than glossy covered monthly magazines . . . .
been ordered .............3lt z51 happy trails
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE

whats your point ? if you want more info call gm......or do you just want to prove some un known point . if you don't think thier going to build one ,,,then think it . do you want me to draw you a pic.? there was no info on the c7 did you doubt gm then ?.......but think what you want ,i have no more time for you..................have a great day
been ordered .............3lt z51 happy trails

My point is that I believe anything is possible with regard to upcoming C7 variants. I disagree with your authoritative definitions of exactly what and when they will consist of, to the point of advising potential buyers what they should consider. The President of GM says no decision on the C7 variant or power train - but you don't his admonition stand in your way.

And Happy Trails to you too, Lastcowboy . . . . . it's been real.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
You totally missed my point.....totally! (Speaking of reading comprehension)

I am not arguing whether GM is trying to compete against one or the other. I am not arguing about how good the car is. What I said is that I think in the real world of the marketplace (meaning actual buyers), what I think is that most potential buyers are going to cross shop the "up level" Corvette more against the Viper than Porsche.

And yes, I get that it is just my opinion. Lets reconvene in a couple of years and see if I am right or not. My track record is that I will still be hanging out here, and I will own up to the truth.
You think that in the marketplace most potential buyers cross shop the Vette and Viper? Let's test that theory. Go over to Viperclub.org or, better yet, Viper Alley and make such a suggestion if you truly believe it. Show your work and the defense of same on those Forums. My guess is that you'll catch fire at your keyboard. Some of their members may actually pay you a visit. Any Corvette owner who has ever been to those Forums can tell you what happens if you so much as mention the word Corvette in the same sentence as Viper on either of those forums.

On an even more direct level, the sales numbers don't support your theory and underscore why the Viper is not on the Corvette design and engineering team's radar of late for the C7 which was benchmarked against a single car not built in Detroit.

The Viper's sales numbers have been so historically pitiable that Corvette could not remain a going concern with them. Some recent years of Viper production were suspended, plant workers furloughed and the Viper's Connor Avenue Assembly Plant was closed for the 2011 and 2012 model years when the Viper's sales numbers got so low that there was no point in continuing production. When you sell a vehicle that achieves such documented weak traction in the market from a sales standpoint then you simply don't have a business case and execution model that any manufacturer really wants to emulate in any way, shape or form.

Yes, magazine comparisons will be staged between the Corvette and Viper because they are both Americans and the power levels of the big tire Vettes (Z06/ZR1) merit an easy comparison for magazines to stage and generate the "controversy" which helps them pay the bills. So yes, one can look for those comparisons to occur. Does that mean that buyers actually cross shop the two to any appreciable degree? The basic math suggests that there is little significant effect and when there is an appreciable number it is not in the Viper's favor. Let's look at some numbers.

Since the Viper was effectively not produced for model years 2011 and 2012 due to low sales then let's use 2010 as a representative recent full year sales number. Then let's compare it against ZR1 sales for that period since it would be pointless to consider all Corvette sales as the likely Corvette buyers for Vipers will be Corvette ZR1 owners. The 2010 U.S. sales number for the ZR1 is 1,577. For the Viper...?

If literally every single Viper buyer in 2010 was a Corvette ZR1 buyer then quite simply the numbers weren't enough to matter for the Viper program to continue as a going concern in 2011-12.

To the degree that there is appreciable cross shopping between the two cars it does not appear to be in the Viper's favor. The ZR1's launch was well telegraphed for the 2009 model year. So year-over-year 2008 - 2009 Viper sales should have remained unchanged or increased as Viper owners stuck to their guns and potential buyers for this new ZR1 headed off to the Viper camp. Instead, U.S. Viper sales in 2008 were 1,172.

In 2009 they were 482.

Feel free to reread that sentence and no, that 59% year-over-year drop is not a misprint. I would venture to say that it was also not a coincidence.

Btw, if you don't think Porsche buyers are seriously cross shopping the new C7 you may want to check the relevant threads on Rennlist.com. Go to the 991 section of their forum and take a look at the 2014 Corvette thread on the first page where their owner group poses exactly that question. You can't miss it. With over 300 posts it is one of the largest on the page. You may be shocked at what you read. Compare and contrast that with what you see on the various Viper forums and truly I urge you to pose the same question on the Viper forums. Assuming you survive, I think that will be a much needed object lesson for your theory.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think we will see a ultra light naturally aspirated car in 2017 with radio and A/C delete at $110K, and the supercharged ZO6 at $85K. Look at the ZL1 vs Z28.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:05 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by CitationZ06@yahoo
I still think we will see a ultra light naturally aspirated car in 2017 with radio and A/C delete at $110K, and the supercharged ZO6 at $85K. Look at the ZL1 vs Z28.
Hope we see something before 2017.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Hurricane

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by Bwright
You think that in the marketplace most potential buyers cross shop the Vette and Viper? Let's test that theory. Go over to Viperclub.org or, better yet, Viper Alley and make such a suggestion if you truly believe it. Show your work and the defense of same on those Forums. My guess is that you'll catch fire at your keyboard. Some of their members may actually pay you a visit. Any Corvette owner who has ever been to those Forums can tell you what happens if you so much as mention the word Corvette in the same sentence as Viper on either of those forums.

On an even more direct level, the sales numbers don't support your theory and underscore why the Viper is not on the Corvette design and engineering team's radar of late for the C7 which was benchmarked against a single car not built in Detroit.

The Viper's sales numbers have been so historically pitiable that Corvette could not remain a going concern with them. Some recent years of Viper production were suspended, plant workers furloughed and the Viper's Connor Avenue Assembly Plant was closed for the 2011 and 2012 model years when the Viper's sales numbers got so low that there was no point in continuing production. When you sell a vehicle that achieves such documented weak traction in the market from a sales standpoint then you simply don't have a business case and execution model that any manufacturer really wants to emulate in any way, shape or form.

Yes, magazine comparisons will be staged between the Corvette and Viper because they are both Americans and the power levels of the big tire Vettes (Z06/ZR1) merit an easy comparison for magazines to stage and generate the "controversy" which helps them pay the bills. So yes, one can look for those comparisons to occur. Does that mean that buyers actually cross shop the two to any appreciable degree? The basic math suggests that there is little significant effect and when there is an appreciable number it is not in the Viper's favor. Let's look at some numbers.

Since the Viper was effectively not produced for model years 2011 and 2012 due to low sales then let's use 2010 as a representative recent full year sales number. Then let's compare it against ZR1 sales for that period since it would be pointless to consider all Corvette sales as the likely Corvette buyers for Vipers will be Corvette ZR1 owners. The 2010 U.S. sales number for the ZR1 is 1,577. For the Viper...?

If literally every single Viper buyer in 2010 was a Corvette ZR1 buyer then quite simply the numbers weren't enough to matter for the Viper program to continue as a going concern in 2011-12.

To the degree that there is appreciable cross shopping between the two cars it does not appear to be in the Viper's favor. The ZR1's launch was well telegraphed for the 2009 model year. So year-over-year 2008 - 2009 Viper sales should have remained unchanged or increased as Viper owners stuck to their guns and potential buyers for this new ZR1 headed off to the Viper camp. Instead, U.S. Viper sales in 2008 were 1,172.

In 2009 they were 482.

Feel free to reread that sentence and no, that 59% year-over-year drop is not a misprint. I would venture to say that it was also not a coincidence.

Btw, if you don't think Porsche buyers are seriously cross shopping the new C7 you may want to check the relevant threads on Rennlist.com. Go to the 991 section of their forum and take a look at the 2014 Corvette thread on the first page where their owner group poses exactly that question. You can't miss it. With over 300 posts it is one of the largest on the page. You may be shocked at what you read. Compare and contrast that with what you see on the various Viper forums and truly I urge you to pose the same question on the Viper forums. Assuming you survive, I think that will be a much needed object lesson for your theory.
Well from personal experience, I would cross-shop with Porsche but not Viper.

When I bought my C5, I looked at Boxsters. For my C6, I really didn't consider anything else (the Vette bug had bitten me pretty hard LOL). I have been thinking about getting a 911 (either new or perhaps CPO) but after seeing the C7 up close at Carlisle, I have probably reconsidered.

I love the 911 and would love to have one someday. But there is something about the Vette that stirs some pretty power emotions in me. It isn't that I dislike the Viper - I just never had any great desire to own one over a Vette (or a Porsche).
Old 09-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting, looking back at the introduction of the C5 & C6, the cream of the crop for those series was several years into the "Plain Jane" run of production. GM will sell all they can of the standard & Z51 cars and then pump up the C7 line with a super Corvette, Z06 - Z07 - L88 - ZR1 - or some new name. It may be 600+ hp with performance components. It will happen so just hang on...
Old 09-11-2013, 04:50 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

All I know, is if all Corvette gives me is a 60k dollar Z51 460hp option or a 100k dollar Z06/7 600hp option....they're gonna lose a LOT of buyers in my opinion, including me. I'm not buying a Z51 with no front aero, chrome trim and taking a car that under performs the past three cars I've built/owned in acceleration by a huge margin. I need AT least 500hp/500tq, more grip/aero and around 75k or I just can't do it.

A ZR1 level car HAS to exist, simply to keep Corvette on the map as a serious player. You have to have that HALO model given how many Corvette options there are. Inevitably though, the ZR1 AND Z06 didn't sell tremendous numbers of cars, though the ownership of Z badge cars are cult like followings (Z51, you don't count...never have never will..lol).

In my HUMBLE opinion, they need the Z06 AND Z07 done like this...

Z06: Basically a Z51 equipped car with a hp bump (get me to 500) using the basic LT1 architecture, but N/A only. Add in aero, better tires, better brakes, then sell it starting at 65-70k (a drop from C6). This would make a Z06 1LT a real decision versus say a 3LT Z51
Z07: Bring in the higher output engine option (600hp'ish), price this car like the Z07 of C6 era...starting mid 80k's.
ZR1: Bring this car in later in the generation with same Z07 powerplant, 120k, all out...use Pratt/Miller to develop aero, carbon brakes, maybe a sequential automated tranny, etc. to make the car ridiculous...break records with this thing.

Last edited by RC000E; 09-11-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Matt's C7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
All I know, is if all Corvette gives me is a 60k dollar Z51 460hp option or a 100k dollar Z06/7 600hp option....they're gonna lose a LOT of buyers in my opinion, including me. I'm not buying a Z51 with no front aero, chrome trim and taking a car that under performs the past three cars I've built/owned in acceleration by a huge margin. I need AT least 500hp/500tq, more grip/aero and around 75k or I just can't do it.
While it won't help GM with cross-make rivalries, etc., as far as individual consumers are concerned (including you) don't forget Callaway and maybe some of the other premium vendors. You can rest assured they will fill any performance void left by GM with their products.

That's my plan anyway. One of the things I like about that option is it provides for an affordable upgrade path: buy the car you want now, take it to Callaway later. Or take it now; whatever floats your boat.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:34 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 zo7

Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwright

.... snip

Excellent post, shortened in my response to save space, not as an "editorial" comment. By the way, I did just as you suggested and checked out the corvette post on rennlist.com. Interesting reading for sure. A few of my observations...
- I was surprised at the number of current 911 owners who are seriously considering the C7 (as you mentioned of course)
- Comments on the rear end design was split (as here). Some hated, some liked.
- Comments on Corvette owners were pretty funny. And I have to admit, I agree with some of them.
- Comments that Chevy dealership/service experience leaves a lot to be desired. Again I agree.
- Brand snobbery, "blah, blah... it's still a Chevy'. Equivalent to our, "it's still a Mustang" sentiments.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

if your buying a new c7 you might want to keep this in mind . there will be a 600hp. + z07 but no zr1 pn the comming 2016 yr,
Sooooo.....will it be NA or FI ? LT4 6.2L with Eaton blower, or 5.3L V8 with twin turbos or a new 7L+ NA engine (L88 ?) Inquiring minds want to know !!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Joni Lynn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StingRaycer
I was told we would flying cars by 2023 - that's what I'm waiting for!! the ZR1-F-22??
Wait until you see the optional vertical landing mode on the Z51 package.

Quick Reply: 2016 zo7