Sponsored by:

C7Z51 vs C6Z...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts
Default C7Z51 vs C6Z...

I finally speced out a C7 which I will possibly buy next year. I have also been shopping for C5Z & C6Zs and have been close to a deal on a couple but both sold before I could complete the deal although I hustled.

Just now when I speced out a C7 Z51 the price only came to $59K MSRP with everything exactly the way I like it. (2LT, Z51, CF roof, black wheels, red calipers) I also can buy at employee pricing and I guess the discount is about $4K or so but I have not verified that and in fact it might not be available for a year or two at those prices.

But what I'm seeing is I can purchase a new C7 Z51 at about $55K compared to a nice used C6Z at around $43K.

Now the C7 offers the following advantages over a C6Z to me: Much better interior w/ vented seats, 7 speed trans with rev-matching, much better MPG, better aesthetics, removable top (in visible CF as speced) which is HUGE to me, full warranty, new tires/ oils/ batteries/ paint/ 0 miles/ etc, better reliability hopefully given the head problems of the C6Z, better usability daily and at my occasional track days, much better seats, skinnier tires (which sadly, I prefer after having huge tires on a track car in the past), the colors interior and exterior that I prefer, not having to travel to pick it up, and a few other reasons that are escaping me at the moment.

The few advantages to the C6Z are likely that: soon a lot of the depreciation will be stable, many more mods available, ultimately it's a bit faster car but not in ways that I particularly care about.

When I look over this list I feel that the C6Zs are just way overpriced in comparison to the new C7s and for somewhere around $12K more for me to purchase a C7, well the C7 is just a better deal all around, I feel

I'll be the first to admit that at this moment this is purely academic as my wife would close her legs for 6 months if I went and spent $60K on a 'spare' car.

But what is you guys perspective on this comparison?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:35 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Well if you are without a Corvette I would go with the C7Z51 instead of the C6z. I am sure the aftermarket will support it soon enough.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:36 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I finally speced out a C7 which I will possibly buy next year. I have also been shopping for C5Z & C6Zs and have been close to a deal on a couple but both sold before I could complete the deal although I hustled.

Just now when I speced out a C7 Z51 the price only came to $59K MSRP with everything exactly the way I like it. (2LT, Z51, CF roof, black wheels, red calipers) I also can buy at employee pricing and I guess the discount is about $4K or so but I have not verified that and in fact it might not be available for a year or two at those prices.

But what I'm seeing is I can purchase a new C7 Z51 at about $55K compared to a nice used C6Z at around $43K.

Now the C7 offers the following advantages over a C6Z to me: Much better interior w/ vented seats, 7 speed trans with rev-matching, much better MPG, better aesthetics, removable top (in visible CF as speced) which is HUGE to me, full warranty, new tires/ oils/ batteries/ paint/ 0 miles/ etc, better reliability hopefully given the head problems of the C6Z, better usability daily and at my occasional track days, much better seats, skinnier tires (which sadly, I prefer after having huge tires on a track car in the past), the colors interior and exterior that I prefer, not having to travel to pick it up, and a few other reasons that are escaping me at the moment.

The few advantages to the C6Z are likely that: soon a lot of the depreciation will be stable, many more mods available, ultimately it's a bit faster car but not in ways that I particularly care about.

When I look over this list I feel that the C6Zs are just way overpriced in comparison to the new C7s and for somewhere around $12K more for me to purchase a C7, well the C7 is just a better deal all around, I feel

I'll be the first to admit that at this moment this is purely academic as my wife would close her legs for 6 months if I went and spent $60K on a 'spare' car.

Who needs ***** anyways? Buy that car!

I'd get a C7 Z51 over a C6 Z06.

The C7 platform is so much better it's not really even comparable. The aftermarket will speedily have parts available to put the C7 Z51 performance well beyond that of the C6Z06.

Last edited by C7pimp; 09-03-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Having been in a position to buy a C6 Z06 or ZR1 for a number of years, I never had an interest in Corvette until the C7 was revealed. IMO, the performance advantage the C6 Z06 will have over the C7 Z51 will not be great enough to overcome the fact that it's basically a decade-old design using the same LS7 that was introduced in 2005 for the 2006 models.
My own personal opinion is that the C7 will be a "better" car than the C6 Z06, but not quite as fast. Others will have a different viewpoint.
Good luck with your decision.
S.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

If you have 80/90K laying around wait for the C7 Hi Po version, probably available in MY '15. If not, get the Z51. Me, I'll wait, IMO many great things are on the horizon with this Gen.

PS- I would never buy a used C6Z, especially out of warranty, unless my GrandMother owned/drove it.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 PM
zipcode
Instructor

Wait till they reveal the c7z in jan and see if the prices of the c6z drop enough to entice you. If not, you'll probably be able to buy a c7 off the dealer's lot by that time
Old 09-03-2013, 03:12 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD

You have answered your own question. The C7-Z51!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by zipcode
Wait till they reveal the c7z in jan and see if the prices of the c6z drop enough to entice you. If not, you'll probably be able to buy a c7 off the dealer's lot by that time
But that would be like buying a C5Z right after the C6Z was introduced.
S.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Good input and I think everyone has the same perspective on this as I do. Well accept for the not needing poontang guy! Not surprising I guess in the C7 forum that everyone agrees that the C7 is a better value.

As much as I love the raciest version of, well anything, a C7Z is likely not in my future. That's too much $ for me and I imagine it will come w/ some compromises that I couldn't accept, like fixed roof or larger cams that don't acccept the cylinder deactivation stuff. Also, I'm tired of spending $2200 per set of tires every 6 months on my cars, I actually prefer the narrower tires of the C7. I get the better mpg, acceleration (when not traction limited), easier to pitch sideways on the round abouts, and imo 97% of the corner traction of wider tires, w/ less downside of cost.

FYI, the thing about wider tires is they have less weight per square inch so traction does not increase in step w/ the width increases. That's been my experience. And frankly it's pretty much just as fun to be right on the traction edge at a track day running 67.5mph as it is to be going 68mph thru the same turn on the wider rubber.

Oh yah, those Magnetic shocks, I speced them and they seem like an awesome solution that I guess isn't available on a C6Z. Another check in the C7 column!

Now the scheming to get a car begins...

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 09-03-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 PM
gofobroke
Instructor

C7 Z will IMHO be 100K. Lot more money then a C7 Z51 which by that time will be 60k or so. C6 Z also has potential for dreaded valve guide problem. Clear choice is C7 Z51.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:08 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

While I have a C7 Z51 on order it will not replace my C6 Z06. The Z51 is a pig at 35 hundred something pounds. My C6 Z06 weights in at 3100 pounds and has 50 or so more HP to boot. Now the C6 Z06 will go when I can get a C7 Z07. They are different cars with different purposes as far as I am concerned.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't want to set anybody off but a C7 Z51 will never be equal to a C6 Z06 from the performance perspective. Sure you can mod a C7 but there goes your warranty. They are very different cars with a somewhat different audience. If you need or want Z06 performance you might be better off waiting for the C7 Z06 like many of us are.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Earlier in the year I had a similar decision to make, get a killer deal on a new C6 or spend about 15k more and get the C7. A lot went into my decision but I ultimately went for the C6 and have no regrets.

From your post it seems like the C7 is right for you. I think you will regret getting the C6 the first time you see a C7.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

OP, to me you knew the answers you wanted to justify your decision when you posted it. You posted it in the C7 section so a majority of people on these threads love the C7 over anything else & tend to get defensive quickly when anyone states anything negative regarding a C7. If you posted it in the C6Z section, you would get a different perspective. It sounds to me like you want a C7. Besides, who cares what others think you should buy. You are paying for it so buy what you like.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Really, I just had not considered a new Vette. And as a I shopped the ones I gravitated towards were getting more and more expensive. Which simply led me to make the jump to maybe a new C7 is a better fit for me.

It's clear to me now that the C7 is better for me. Whether I choose to swing a new one or not is still quite debatable.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Jon0813
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C7 / c6z

This is the same question I've been asking. I like to go to the local track days a few times a month and have a great time with the cars. I also drive between homes that are 250 miles apart. I had my mind set on the C6 Z06 for a while and sold my other cars to get one. Now, I see all the things different on the C7's and wonder what the difference will really be having fun on the track 15 - 20 times a year, and driving a lot of highway miles between the two cars?? I'll wait to see how the C7's do at the track when I get a chance to actually see one there. I'm not sure how the Z06 will be on the 250 mile trip either as far as comfort. I don't think there would be much difference between the two though for a 4 hour trip.

Jon
Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't think the C6Z has enough of an advantage to not warrant buying the C7. What you get from the C7, for just a small amount more money is substantial! I all honesty, I think the C5Z and C7Z51 are the buy choices to make. For 22k you can have a nice C5Z, which is nearly as capable as the C6Z, gets you all the same interior, same chassis...basically the same car. With the C6Z, you're paying for the LS7...that's all there is to it.

If you're in a real decision, I'd say buy a C5Z on a good deal or a Z51 C6 on the same good deal. Drive it, enjoy it, then trade/sell it for C7Z when it arrives. C6Z is out of the question for me.

Get notified of new replies

To C7Z51 vs C6Z...

Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

With the issues with the LS7 and the Updates to the C7 I do not think this even a question worth asking, maybe worth asking between the 427 and C7 Vert, the 427 IMO will be a high demand car in the future.

I would pick the C7 or if you want to save money I agree with RC000E that the C5Z is a tremendous Value and a hell of a car.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of C6z cars will be out there in the used market as owners dump them for the C7, especially next spring. I'd wait a few months...they will be a steal to buy, if you dare.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:21 PM
sting ya
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally think its a hands down decision to buy a NEW c7 over a used z6 for the year 2014. The c7 is making the z look ancient already. As far as performance its really not far off at all in a straight line and on a track,handling, braking etc ??? Its a no brainer for me.

Quick Reply: C7Z51 vs C6Z...