Sponsored by:

Track Tested: 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray vs 2014 Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavender
I see. You really have no clue about what the hell you are talking about. Have you ever ran a GTR in a .2 Turbo S? Both from a dig and a roll? Because I have...and it wasn't pretty for the GTR. I remember running one from a dig up to 300+ kp/h. When I looked in the mirror..I couldnt see where he was. He was about 3 cars behind me up to 200 kp/h....and then it seemed like he fell on its face. The pathetic aero..or lack thereof might have something to do with.

Yeah you are right. Nissan should put Sport Cups on the GTR. Oh wait...the GTR is already having issues with its current set of tires. You'll be lucky if your tires lasts your entire day on the track. I won't even mention the brakes. Some dude shot his brakes @ Hockenheim in 10 laps. And he was on stock tires. Yeah you really have a neat point.
Comical

And please...don't bring 2009 GTRs with "$4,000" in mods on the table. First of all thats modded vs stock. Second...I've seen quite a few "modded" GTRs that literally get destroyed by stock ZR1s.

Very well stated. Thanks for the insights.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:14 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

if you can't discuss it without insults you need to step away from the keyboard
Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 AM
kageryu311
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see. You really have no clue about what the hell you are talking about. Have you ever ran a GTR in a .2 Turbo S? Both from a dig and a roll? Because I have...and it wasn't pretty for the GTR. I remember running one from a dig up to 300+ kp/h. When I looked in the mirror..I couldnt see where he was. He was about 3 cars behind me up to 200 kp/h....and then it seemed like he fell on its face. The pathetic aero..or lack thereof might have something to do with.

Did you really say a GT-R has a lack of aero? You know the GT-R has a better drag coefficient than any vette in production including the C7?

A lot of what you are seeing is a function of gearing and not aero. The gears are short and there are no overdrives.

Yeah you are right. Nissan should put Sport Cups on the GTR. Oh wait...the GTR is already having issues with its current set of tires. You'll be lucky if your tires lasts your entire day on the track. I won't even mention the brakes. Some dude shot his brakes @ Hockenheim in 10 laps. And he was on stock tires. Yeah you really have a neat point.
Comical
What issues are those, the fact that GT-Rs are hanging with corvettes equipped with race tires at the road course on run flats?

And please...don't bring 2009 GTRs with "$4,000" in mods on the table. First of all thats modded vs stock. Second...I've seen quite a few "modded" GTRs that literally get destroyed by stock ZR1s.
Maybe if the mods are just wheels. Get back to me when a ZR1 does 7's in the 1/4. ROFL
Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by kageryu311
Did you really say a GT-R has a lack of aero? You know the GT-R has a better drag coefficient than any vette in production including the C7?

A lot of what you are seeing is a function of gearing and not aero. The gears are short and there are no overdrives.

What issues are those, the fact that GT-Rs are hanging with corvettes equipped with race tires at the road course on run flats?

Maybe if the mods are just wheels. Get back to me when a ZR1 does 7's in the 1/4. ROFL

GTR with $4,000 in mods has done 7s? Come back to me when a full weight full interior GTR do a 7 sec pass ROFL

And yes..from what Ive seen from 3rd party testing: GTRs aero if far cry from what Nissan claims. Not that Im surprised.

PS: Sport Cup tires that come @ Corvettes are run flats as well. You really have no legs to stand on

Thanks for the laughs!

Last edited by Lavender; 09-08-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 AM
kageryu311
Pro

GTR with $4,000 in mods has done 7s? Come back to me when a full weight full interior GTR do a 7 sec pass ROFL
It's not like a full weight, full interior Corvette has gone 7's or 8's for that matter, when there are GT-Rs that have gone low 8's full interior and 7's with the passenger seat taken out.

John Shepard 8.28 @ 172mph. Full weight, full interior small drag radials. Mark Carlyle's vette is a race car compared to this car.

Well my GT-R with less than $4,000 worth of mods beat a modded ZR1.

And yes..from what Ive seen from 3rd party testing: GTRs aero if far cry from what Nissan claims. Not that Im surprised.
And your third party testing is flawed. So just because you saw a car fall back (may have let off the throttle) You assume automatically that it is the aerodynamics of the car? You are a skewed Corvette fanboy.

PS: Sport Cup tires that come @ Corvettes are run flats as well. You really have no legs to stand on

Thanks for the laughs!
And those Sport cup tires are basically racing slicks.

All you have shown me in your posts are that you are a Corvette fanboy. Thank you for making it more apparent.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM
kageryu311
Pro

Oh and about the aerodynamics Lavender read this:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...nclusions.html

in conclusion

facts > you.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Heel & Toe

Chevy needs a DCT, its the one thing that holds back the C7 from really dominating in these tests.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

It's not like a full weight, full interior Corvette has gone 7's or 8's for that matter, when there are GT-Rs that have gone low 8's full interior and 7's with the passenger seat taken out.

John Shepard 8.28 @ 172mph. Full weight, full interior small drag radials. Mark Carlyle's vette is a race car compared to this car.

Well my GT-R with less than $4,000 worth of mods beat a modded ZR1.

And your third party testing is flawed. So just because you saw a car fall back (may have let off the throttle) You assume automatically that it is the aerodynamics of the car? You are a skewed Corvette fanboy.

And those Sport cup tires are basically racing slicks.

All you have shown me in your posts are that you are a Corvette fanboy. Thank you for making it more apparent.

It went 7s with no AC...no pass seat...no backseat..on slicks...with a cage. Hell of a street car.

Sport Cup tires are racing slicks? Yeah..you really have A clue

And I'm a Corvette fanboy? Jeez...this is the third time you have proved to me that you really have absolutely no clue whatsoever about what the hell you are talking about.

Thanks for the laughs again
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Oh and about the aerodynamics Lavender read this:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...nclusions.html

in conclusion

facts > you.
I've already seen the wind tunnel test by Sport Auto @ Daimler wind tunnel.

Indeed....facts > you.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Blancpain
Pro

Originally Posted by Guibo
Not so. If you count the entire US, that accounts for only 42% of GT-R global sales, using 2012 figures.

IMO, the test does raise a legit concern for people who intend to use these cars for the track, especially in regions that get hot.
I wasn't counting the car globally...just in the U.S., most of the GTRs are sold on the west or east coasts... not in the Midwest somewhere.

Last edited by Blancpain; 09-08-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
kageryu311
Pro

It went 7s with no AC...no pass seat...no backseat..on slicks...with a cage. Hell of a street car.
First of all you are confusing two cars, the AMS Alpha Omega which went 7's, this car:

As you see in the video it has all amenities and is driven on the street. It does in fact have AC, unlike Mark Carlyle's car. It in fact has a back seat and the passenger seat was put back in after it did it's 7s second pass.

Also read post 224 here:

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/.../page__st__220

Quote from the driver:

I think the plan for the video includes the entire Dunkin Donuts trip in fast motion. This trip included the drive out there, trip through the drive through, stop and go construction traffic for several miles and a WOT pull through 1st, 2nd and 3rd. This is EXACTLY like driving the car around. As was driving it around to a couple stores, back to my house and then to work the next day with my lunch and my dog in it. I am failing to see the difference between your examples and mine.

And the previous car I showed you which is John Shepard's car.

Sport Cup tires are racing slicks? Yeah..you really have A clue
Compared to the OEM dunlops that the GT-R uses they are.

And I'm a Corvette fanboy? Jeez...this is the third time you have proved to me that you really have absolutely no clue whatsoever about what the hell you are talking about.

Thanks for the laughs again
You have continued to be incorrect which completely discredits you and your lack of knowledge on the GT-R. I recommend that you cease and desist before making yourself look any dumber.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
kageryu311
Pro

I've already seen the wind tunnel test by Sport Auto @ Daimler wind tunnel.

Indeed....facts > you.
Invalid as many tests from numerous publications (edmunds, motortrend as I've shown you etc) have proven the GT-R's aero. If the aero was so bad, it would be throwing out similar numbers to a 2012 GT500 in straight line performance, but it doesn't.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

First of all you are confusing two cars, the AMS Alpha Omega which went 7's, this car:

As you see in the video it has all amenities and is driven on the street. It does in fact have AC, unlike Mark Carlyle's car. It in fact has a back seat and the passenger seat was put back in after it did it's 7s second pass.

Also read post 224 here:

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/.../page__st__220

Quote from the driver:

And the previous car I showed you which is John Shepard's car.

Compared to the OEM dunlops that the GT-R uses they are.

You have continued to be incorrect which completely discredits you and your lack of knowledge on the GT-R. I recommend that you cease and desist before making yourself look any dumber.

Why do you keep bringing Mark Carlyle into the discussion? I'm just curious..thats all.

And about my knowledge about the GTR...I know enough. And the latest tests from various mags have backed it up.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Invalid as many tests from numerous publications (edmunds, motortrend as I've shown you etc) have proven the GT-R's aero. If the aero was so bad, it would be throwing out similar numbers to a 2012 GT500 in straight line performance, but it doesn't.
You are right...its invalid because it doesnt suit your agenda
Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 AM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

This thread started off well then became a broken record.

Fanboys on both sides argueing different times, different drivers, different days - different cars.

Then you get the nutswingers posting about record holding 1/4 mile times - awesome thanks for that in a thread about a Factory STOCK BASE C7 vs Stock 2013 GTR Track edition. Sure helps the discussion here.

Then you get the people who didn't even bother to read the article or the posts already made - "No way the C7 will beat the GTR around the track." - Well in this test, on the same track, same driver, same conditions, same day - the C7 DID beat the GTR. Will it beat it on every track, in every condition, likely not - we can be realistic, but it did in this test.

Cliffs: If you've got something to post, it should be relevant to the thread, and please read the entire thread and article before you post incorrect information that has been gone over 10 X already.

/rant.

Last edited by NW-99SS; 09-08-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

I don't think some of the guys here will ever give the GTR much credit, I for one really like and respect the GTR as I have seen the tail lights of a few lol. I am still amazed how fast that car is, being it weight what almost 4k lbs? But when you pay 100k plus the car to run high 8s to me that is insane? We started out talking about stock vs stock which we will need the Z0? To compete with the GTR.

Light modifications start at about $6,000. The Alpha 12 package costs around $100,000 (on top of the $100,000 of a new GT-R). For that, you get a claimed 1,100 horsepower with regular-pump gas, and 1,500 horses with 116-octane race fuel. The company says you can hit 60 mph in 2.4 seconds and the machine will cover a quarter of a mile in 8.97 seconds.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...h-200-mph.html

Last edited by DRLC5; 09-08-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM
kageryu311
Pro

Originally Posted by NW-99SS

Fanboys on both sides argueing different times, different drivers, different days - different cars.

Then you get the nutswingers posting about record holding 1/4 mile times - awesome thanks for that in a thread about a Factory STOCK BASE C7 vs Stock 2013 GTR Track edition. Sure helps the discussion here.

Then you get the people who didn't even bother to read the article or the posts already made - "No way the C7 will beat the GTR around the track." - Well in this test, on the same track, same driver, same conditions, same day - the C7 DID beat the GTR. Will it beat it on every track, in every condition, likely not - we can be realistic, but it did in this test.

Cliffs: If you've got something to post, it should be relevant to the thread, and please read the entire thread and article before you post incorrenct information that has been gone over 10 X already.

/rant.
I agree with all of this but when Corvette fanboys come on here with information that is inaccurate and way off base about a car they don't own or know completely about I step in.

Fact is the C7 did beat the GT-R in this test. It is a great performer and I would like to see it on the track and on the street. I would also like to drive one but unfortunately I live in Europe so I doubt I will until I go back to the states.

I will enjoy my GT-R at least.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Tested: 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray vs 2014 Nissan GT-R

Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Originally Posted by NW-99SS

Cliffs: If you've got something to post, it should be relevant to the thread, and please read the entire thread and article before you post incorrenct information that has been gone over 10 X already.

/rant.
Exactly. Most people don't really listen either...they are just thinking about what they are going to say next. Funny how it translates here...like a broken record.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I agree with all of this but when Corvette fanboys come on here with information that is inaccurate and way off base about a car they don't own or know completely about I step in.

Fact is the C7 did beat the GT-R in this test. It is a great performer and I would like to see it on the track and on the street. I would also like to drive one but unfortunately I live in Europe so I doubt I will until I go back to the states.

I will enjoy my GT-R at least.
That's fine, I just hate reading posts of the 1/4 mile record holders of any brand as some justification of why that platform is better than another. I've seen DSM's run 6's, does that mean they are better than GTR's??

Hoping the C7 attracts a few more buyers in Europe, initial reviews indicate it as a well balanced car that addressed many short-comings of the C6 - hope the buying public agrees.

Enjoy your Godzilla, while not my cup-of-tea, they put down numbers that continue to boggle my mind for such a heavy car, and I can respect that
Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

The only agreements in this thread are to disagree. It serves nothing or anyone in a positive manner.

Future threads that turn into rants with nothing positive to contribute will also be closed.

Trying to see who can have the last word is not a contribution, just childish.

In the future, posting is for adults only, children should stay at home.

Quick Reply: Track Tested: 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray vs 2014 Nissan GT-R