Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic v. Stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Brunotheboxer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those getting the A6 are you also getting z51?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

I just hope the cyl deactivation for the AT is better on the vette than the camaro - it sucks and you can feel it when crusing...If it is, I'll have one of these - they are working on it now acc to the email I got. Works perfect, leaves no footprint for warranty:

http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8
Old 09-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Sierramadre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer
Yep. Plus mag suspension.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:19 AM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

DC traffic along with NJTP/NJ/NYC occasionally. Getting the M7 regardless - my left knee still kind of works pretty well
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM
C7 101 car
Instructor

Yes Z51 with Mag Ride & NPP

Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 AM
kirbsc
Racer

Shifting - I love doing it, last car had auto and wasn't quite as much fun. Still a young 61 and have no left leg problems; down side is when your stuck in traffic but that doesn't happen that much in St Louis

Didn't like the paddle-shifters in the 09 corvette but heard that the new Stingray is much better!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 AM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Always had a stick in my Vettes----love working through the gears. Plus I don't have to fight city traffic and traffic jams any longer!

Wife's vette is an Auto....but she can drive a stick also. So I have the best of both worlds.

Looking forward to the "customers" first C7 feedback reports. IF everything is still going well (no recalls, etc.) next spring, I'll order mine.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM
rmarks
Racer

I'm 73 and no knee or back problems. I vote for DRIVER INVOLVEMENT with the manual.

When I drive in traffic, I use my Chrysler Pacifica (a smaller size cross-over mini-van) with automatic. Honestly in traffic I don't get any "driver experience". I wonder how many people who drive Corvettes in traffic really enjoy it as compared to an equal cost luxury car with automatic?

Of those who have automatic / paddle shift, do you actually shift it or do you let it run in automatic mode?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

I DON'T WANT TO SHIFT ANYMORE, been there done that, with a lot of M cars...

Never get why shift guys get arrogant about a transmission choice....we are all dealing with different needs and wants....
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Mike00
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarks
I'm 73 and no knee or back problems. I vote for DRIVER INVOLVEMENT with the manual.

When I drive in traffic, I use my Chrysler Pacifica (a smaller size cross-over mini-van) with automatic. Honestly in traffic I don't get any "driver experience". I wonder how many people who drive Corvettes in traffic really enjoy it as compared to an equal cost luxury car with automatic?

Of those who have automatic / paddle shift, do you actually shift it or do you let it run in automatic mode?
Will be an interesting question to ask a few months into ownership of the vehicle. I went with a DSG on my Audi s4 I just purchased and after the first week I essentially stopped using the paddle shifters. The car shifts better than I do and faster so whats the point?

I will probably pick the a 2016 mn7 Vette though. As I do miss the manual from my previous car. Still I have to admit it's nice to have the auto when stuck in traffic - so my daily will remain and auto.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:07 AM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike00
Will be an interesting question to ask a few months into ownership of the vehicle. I went with a DSG on my Audi s4 I just purchased and after the first week I essentially stopped using the paddle shifters. The car shifts better than I do and faster so whats the point?

I will probably pick the a 2016 mn7 Vette though. As I do miss the manual from my previous car. Still I have to admit it's nice to have the auto when stuck in traffic - so my daily will remain and auto.
Today's automatics are usually simply better and faster than people are when it comes to shifting manually.

I'll agree that in my stingray, I bet I'll hardly use my paddles in my A6. However, when I go to the track, it will be a totally different story. That's what the paddles are for. I dont see a need to manually control my gearing while I sit on the California freeways - especially when the car is better at it than I am.

Having paddles, for when I want them (even if it's seldom) is awesome - though.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 AM
mrrrkva
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Do you need Onstar to utilize the Auto start with the automatic? I hope not. I was torn between both, and almost wishing I went Manual but the Autostart gimmick got me.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:37 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I learned how to drive a manual transmission car at age 15 1/2 and owned exclusively manual transmission vehicles until I was 52 years old. That's enough for a while. I enjoy aggressive acceleration, cornering and braking enough that I do not miss shifting gears manually. I could not care less what anyone else chooses to do and have no idea why anyone would./
Old 09-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by mrrrkva
Do you need Onstar to utilize the Auto start with the automatic? I hope not. I was torn between both, and almost wishing I went Manual but the Autostart gimmick got me.
Remote start works with key in sight of the car, or thru on star as a smartphone app from anywhere....
Old 09-07-2013, 02:42 AM
Mike00
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me
Today's automatics are usually simply better and faster than people are when it comes to shifting manually.

I'll agree that in my stingray, I bet I'll hardly use my paddles in my A6. However, when I go to the track, it will be a totally different story. That's what the paddles are for. I dont see a need to manually control my gearing while I sit on the California freeways - especially when the car is better at it than I am.

Having paddles, for when I want them (even if it's seldom) is awesome - though.
I have one of the nicer auto transmissions out there. You don't have to sell me on how nice they are.

I still am 98% positive I'm going with a mn7 for the vette though.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:01 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 684 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

MY GOD, so much for the younger demographic, sounds like every responder in this thread is in their 60's and 70's. no offense intended I am 45 years old and consider myself to be young at heart but in truth, let's face it, I am old... 60 or 70, no, but old, yes... DOES NOT mean I have to act like it though...
I am ordering the 7 spd manual, I have owned a C4, two C5's and one C6, the only vette I HATED and regretted buying was one of the C5's that was an auto. Why did I buy it? Tired of shifting, traffic, etc etc... Problem was, it took all the FUN out of it, at least for me. If you are content with the auto, have at it, truth is, it will be faster than 99 percent of us that are not professional shifters, but again, for me it was about the connection to the experience. I am excited for the rev matching feature however (never was good at heel toe, small feet, lol) To each his own, I thought I would like the auto when I bought it back in 98 in my 1st C5, I hated it so bad, I had to sell it 4 months later just to buy another one with a stick, good luck in your decision
Old 09-07-2013, 03:12 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

There is nothing like rowing through gears in your "toy" car. Automatics put me to sleep. I dont care how advanced they get, They are still boring as hell to drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic v. Stick

Old 09-07-2013, 03:35 AM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

The key is to pick what's right for you. But I honestly believe that if you're not sure which way to go then you should probably get an auto. After 36 years of driving automatics, when I finally decided to get a Vette as daily driver I never gave it a second thought: manual trans only. It's been two years now with no regrets in a city with lots of hills and horrible traffic, though until I disabled CAGS and put in an MGW shifter I was not happy (both very simple and inexpensive modifications if necessary, on the C6)

Last edited by v26278; 09-07-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 AM
pgway
Racer

Automatics with paddle shifters are LAME!
I have them on my daily driver - 2011 Ford Taurus and almost NEVER use them.
Remember the automatics on the console that you would flick left or right to shift?
They were a joke.
The 7 speed maual with close ratios is just way too much shifting - give me a 5 spped option and I might have foregone the automatic.
Just saying.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 AM
DoTheyMakeOtherCars?
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Not me...I have no plans of tracking the car, it's just my daily driver and the non-Z51 has plenty of performance for me. Besides, I should get more wear out of my tires.

Quick Reply: Automatic v. Stick