C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with bad knees that are thinking about an automatic.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by MikeG37
I would just suggest IF you end up having to take your new Corvette back to the dealer for transmission problems while still under warranty... you keep the fact you see no need to use a clutch to yourself.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Nowhere in 2 Ag R8C's thread, that you quoted, did he say he shifted his car without a clutch for the life of his car.
Secondly, why would he be denied a warranty claim a year or two in?
Three, why do you care how he shifts his car?
Four, do you really not realize that it is perfectly okay, and in fact, very easy, to shift a standard transmission without a clutch while doing NO damage?

I have done it and it isn't hard, there are no grinding horrific noises, and it could be a skill you might want to develop. Why learn to shift without the clutch? Any number of reasons, here is one. About 30 years ago I had a car that the master clutch cylinder died on. The only way I could get it home was to start the car with it in first gear and then shift, without the clutch, till I could get the car home and repaired. Remember, this was in the days before cell phones. Besides, I was fairly broke and couldn't afford a tow truck even if I could have managed to get hold of someone.

Anything further I would say could be construed as a personal attack and I don't want to go there.
I mentioned this in one of my pots I have the exact same situation with the clutch and it was also about 30 years ago (I am guessing around 1978). Only my car was still under warrantee and after working a midnight shift I just wanted to get the car to the dealer and drop it off so I could get to sleep.

Shifting without a clutch is a skill worth learning it can mean the difference of being stranded or being able to get home.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51
Default Guess who has the last word

Ok children (no adults here), everyone has decided to have the last word. Well only one can have it so I will!!!

A perfectly good thread has turned into nothing but a rant so for the health of the community everyone has to go to their corners.

The thread is closed.

Quick Reply: People with bad knees that are thinking about an automatic.