Sponsored by:

Dealers and markups

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM
trends2000
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Dealers and markups

Just spoke with a sales rep from a local dealer in Northern Virginia to get an idea of C7 showroom arrivals as I missed Carlisle. He went into a "well, the first deliveries will be here by end of year' I said:"when?" He said: "end of year but those are going to the customers WHO PAID A $15,000 MARKUP If you want STICKER, it will be next spring or summer" !!!
Those of you who have said to wait ... I wanted to be among the first but you were right. Why volunteer to get raped? My C6 is up for sale but now I'll definitely buy a late model C6 GS ... not at a dealer ... and then C7 when the buyers stop giving dealers the idea that they can pillage their customers. I'm a capitalist in a biz where others do routine markups even if they know the price is already high. I don't. There's profit and then there's greed.
The C7 is amazing ... I'll get one but from a dealer who isn't out to gouge me. This dealership is known for doing it. NO SALE with me but sadly, others buy into the "I can afford it the extra $15K". Their choice ... Of course, many are simply turning their allocation into a profit center ! Take a $60,000 car and some will be paying $85K+ !! Anyway, you guys who said to wait because of what many dealers will do were right on target ... Compliments to dealers who are NOT doing this stuff ... you'll get the rest of us !
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,971 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If you are in Northern VA, there is no reason to deal with any of that. Mike Furman is 30-45 minutes a way. Get a car for sticker.

I'll also throw in any of the other great forum dealers can get you a car and you can drive it home from wherever they are. You've been on the forum for 10 years, so I'm sure you know this already. If you only want to see it, stop by a dealer with allocation. If you want to buy, you have options.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

The forum dealers are the only way to go for me. I am a first time Corvette buyer, coming out the CTS V.

I went with Kerbeck because I thought it was a no brainer. They are the number one Corvette dealer, which makes them Chevy's number one Corvette customer . Sure they don't enter orders as soon as you plunk down your deposit so you can't join the posters who have an order number that is "at 1100" for 15 weeks in a row. But I see the wisdom in that. My order is really close to being entered and I am hopeful I will have my car well before the end of the year and get a chance to drive it a little before the snow flies.

I am sure the other top forum dealers are the same.

It's also a pretty good thing that they sell for MSRP when the opportunities for excess profit are there.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I do not know how many dealers are near where you live. I talked to four dealers within thirty minutes of where I live. All were at MSRP. Their allocations were 127, 56, 11 and 10. You can do it over the phone and visit the one that sounds best to you. I selected the one with 11. I was number four with them. I made the second round in July and my status code went to 3300 on 9/5. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm paying sticker (MSRP). That was just that douche dealer you talked to.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:18 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Let me guess, Koons?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I am just utterly amazed that everyone doesn't just flat out laugh in the dealers face when they mention a mark up on this car. I mean the concept of even paying MSRP is laughable to me on most cars. But really, this is mass produced car. In year they'll be giving discounts on them to get you to buy one, they'll be selling them at invoice or less. Especially if the Z-car is coming and Corvette sales earn allocation.

I could see paying MSRP for the early ones, just because of the supply/demand and it looks to a great car. But mark up? Really? I'm sorry, but if you paid this, you've been had. Patience is your financial friend.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I am just utterly amazed that everyone doesn't just flat out laugh in the dealers face when they mention a mark up on this car. I mean the concept of even paying MSRP is laughable to me on most cars.

^ There are plenty of folks in this world of a wealth level that allows them to pay the going fare for what they want NOW. A $15k markup on a car is a non-event for them.

While you, I and the majority of car buyers are appalled at the mere suggestion of paying over MSRP, we need to accept there are those who see it very differently.

And if you want to be amazed on what folks will pay try looking into what buyers of American iron pay to purchase and import the same to overseas locations. A $58k 2014 Vette here is $245k in China, and there is a waiting list.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 913 Likes on 477 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ There are plenty of folks in this world of a wealth level that allows them to pay the going fare for what they want NOW. A $15k markup on a car is a non-event for them.

While you, I and the majority of car buyers are appalled at the mere suggestion of paying over MSRP, we need to accept there are those who see it very differently.

And if you want to be amazed on what folks will pay try looking into what buyers of American iron pay to purchase and import the same to overseas locations. A $58k 2014 Vette here is $245k in China, and there is a waiting list.
a very sane post....not all of us think like members here. My dealer is asking 10k over sticker. I told him of course I would not pay it and he understood. I was not outraged at all, it's been eons since Chev dealers have had anything that has waiting lists....

He's just trying to catch the "early adopters" that will pay it. And there are plenty in S Florida. His first 3 went to sheiks in Dubai that have mansions in the Keys and could give a damn less how much it costs. I respect that.

I just went down the road and found two other dealers that will do straight MSRP....and he understood....

Last edited by Glen e; 09-09-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 PM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I too have been disappointed by my dealer, they have 49 coming but will sell them over MSRP. They gave me a deal on my C6, and I was expecting MSRP on the C7, but this is not the case. So I am looking for a dealer to work with in my area. Anyone know of a dealer in the South Carolina area that will sell for MSRP? I will trade my C6, so it will need to be a dealer close to by. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When a salesman quoted an over MSRP price did you ask to speak to the sales manager?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 PM
nichtlangsam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I was in the discussion mode with my local dealer, I hadn't thought about paying anything over msrp, so I questioned him about the cost of my C7. His response...he seemed to be genuinely hurt by my suggestion that he may go above msrp. He said "...they need to find a reputable dealer."

Since I live in Bowling Green, and will be having my car delivered through the museum, I could have used any dealer, but I am a loyal person, and went with my local Bowling Green dealer for my car.

As a USAA member for over 20 years, I do believe that I will qualify for their $750.00 rebate, so I guess I am in the under msrp minority. And I am fine with that.

The car is well worth the money.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GM card can be used on the 2014 Corvette @ this time. Just hope it still applies when it arrives .
Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 PM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
When a salesman quoted an over MSRP price did you ask to speak to the sales manager?
No I didn't. I have done prior business with the salesperson and dealer, and I was told that the owner made this decision and they had to stick by it. They are going to call me when the cars arrive, end of next month, she said the owner may change his mind at some point. But I hope to get one on order before then.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

A lot of Chevy dealers "always" charge MSRP and above for Corvettes. Most only deal with a few Corvettes each year and are willing to sit on them waiting for a big fish.

Even the large volume Corvette dealers are looking for MSRP and above for the 2014 C7. Consequently, the smart money buyers will exercise a little patience and wait for the hype to die down. Either way, unless you have a buddy who owns a dealership you are going to pay through the nose and even at sticker the depreciation those buyers are going to experience in less than a year is going to be tremendous.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 PM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

STORY HERE !!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

You gotta be a idiot to pay over sticker, and there is a bunch of idiots around with more money then brains
Originally Posted by trends2000
Just spoke with a sales rep from a local dealer in Northern Virginia to get an idea of C7 showroom arrivals as I missed Carlisle. He went into a "well, the first deliveries will be here by end of year' I said:"when?" He said: "end of year but those are going to the customers WHO PAID A $15,000 MARKUP If you want STICKER, it will be next spring or summer" !!!
Those of you who have said to wait ... I wanted to be among the first but you were right. Why volunteer to get raped? My C6 is up for sale but now I'll definitely buy a late model C6 GS ... not at a dealer ... and then C7 when the buyers stop giving dealers the idea that they can pillage their customers. I'm a capitalist in a biz where others do routine markups even if they know the price is already high. I don't. There's profit and then there's greed.
The C7 is amazing ... I'll get one but from a dealer who isn't out to gouge me. This dealership is known for doing it. NO SALE with me but sadly, others buy into the "I can afford it the extra $15K". Their choice ... Of course, many are simply turning their allocation into a profit center ! Take a $60,000 car and some will be paying $85K+ !! Anyway, you guys who said to wait because of what many dealers will do were right on target ... Compliments to dealers who are NOT doing this stuff ... you'll get the rest of us !

Get notified of new replies

To Dealers and markups

Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Who do you think gave him his extortion orders ?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguyz51
Who do you think gave him his extortion orders ?
You REALLY don't think some salesman don't compete with some others to see who can generate the highest commission?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Everybody has the freedom to contract (freedom to make a deal or not), and the freedom of contract (freedom to make the best deal you can).

Both very good freedoms to have.

Quick Reply: Dealers and markups