Corvette Victory Against a Better Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 PM
alaincayman
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Victory Against a Better Car

Firstly, my credentials: I expect mid-October delivery here in the Cayman Islands of my Z51 coupe (Laguna Blue/Brownstone) 7-speed, 3LT with magnetic ride, performance exhaust, visible carbon fibre roof, etc. This is a pilot production car already shipped to Panama to be on display at the country’s most important annual motor show, to be shipped to Grand Cayman when the show is over as undoubtedly the very first C7 to be delivered to a retail customer anywhere outside the USA.
I have road-raced and owned sports cars all my life, from the UK, Italy and from Japan, and have always admired Porsches although up until recently, have never able to afford one. The C7 is the very first Corvette which has attracted me, in fact the very first American car I have ever considered purchasing, and I’d choose it again even if the Porsche 911 Carrera S was available at the same price – because of the “brutish” torque/displacement, better track times, better looks, multiple drive modes, and because I refuse to give up my clutch pedal. I’m convinced that the Corvette, up against the Porsche with manual gearbox, would equal or better the Porsche’s acceleration.
But, in spite of accusations against Edmunds.com of bias and unfair comparison, I agree with their conclusion that the 911 Carrera is better than the new Corvette. After all, these same reviewers handed the C7 a decisive victory as the better car against the SRT Viper ($101,990) and against the Nissan GTR Track Edition ($116,995). That they even consider the C7 a worthy rival of the 911 – a car perfected over several decades -- is a victory, stating that the C7 is as quick and rewarding, as good when driven hard and “maybe better”, offering a ride “every bit as refined”, and delivering better track times, better braking, better slalom times and better skid pad numbers.
However, I do take objection to their rather cavalier assertion that the fact the Corvette costs less than half the Porsche “is pure gravy”. I for one am delighted that GM did not decide to target the precision and additional refinement of the Porsche – along with the additional cost – so that I can afford the new Corvette, the first to seduce me, and so conclusively that I await delivery like an excited kid. While I agree that the Porsche is the “better” car, one has to ask the editors of Edmunds.com, in real-world terms, if the 911 Carrera S is better than two Corvette Stingrays, plus $5,600 in pocket money.
By default, Edmunds.com admits that there is nothing comparable to the Corvette C7 at anywhere near its price. And, pitting it against competing cars at twice the price – with resounding success – is a stunning victory. All the more so for sports car enthusiasts like myself, who are real people, in the real world, for whom money is not “gravy”, but a real-life budgetary constraint. In that context, the Corvette C7 Z51 represent unprecedented, if not unbelievable value.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by alaincayman
Firstly, my credentials: I expect mid-October delivery here in the Cayman Islands of my Z51 coupe (Laguna Blue/Brownstone) 7-speed, 3LT with magnetic ride, performance exhaust, visible carbon fibre roof, etc. This is a pilot production car already shipped to Panama to be on display at the country’s most important annual motor show, to be shipped to Grand Cayman when the show is over as undoubtedly the very first C7 to be delivered to a retail customer anywhere outside the USA.
I have road-raced and owned sports cars all my life, from the UK, Italy and from Japan, and have always admired Porsches although up until recently, have never able to afford one. The C7 is the very first Corvette which has attracted me, in fact the very first American car I have ever considered purchasing, and I’d choose it again even if the Porsche 911 Carrera S was available at the same price – because of the “brutish” torque/displacement, better track times, better looks, multiple drive modes, and because I refuse to give up my clutch pedal. I’m convinced that the Corvette, up against the Porsche with manual gearbox, would equal or better the Porsche’s acceleration.
But, in spite of accusations against Edmunds.com of bias and unfair comparison, I agree with their conclusion that the 911 Carrera is better than the new Corvette. After all, these same reviewers handed the C7 a decisive victory as the better car against the SRT Viper ($101,990) and against the Nissan GTR Track Edition ($116,995). That they even consider the C7 a worthy rival of the 911 – a car perfected over several decades -- is a victory, stating that the C7 is as quick and rewarding, as good when driven hard and “maybe better”, offering a ride “every bit as refined”, and delivering better track times, better braking, better slalom times and better skid pad numbers.
However, I do take objection to their rather cavalier assertion that the fact the Corvette costs less than half the Porsche “is pure gravy”. I for one am delighted that GM did not decide to target the precision and additional refinement of the Porsche – along with the additional cost – so that I can afford the new Corvette, the first to seduce me, and so conclusively that I await delivery like an excited kid. While I agree that the Porsche is the “better” car, one has to ask the editors of Edmunds.com, in real-world terms, if the 911 Carrera S is better than two Corvette Stingrays, plus $5,600 in pocket money.
By default, Edmunds.com admits that there is nothing comparable to the Corvette C7 at anywhere near its price. And, pitting it against competing cars at twice the price – with resounding success – is a stunning victory. All the more so for sports car enthusiasts like myself, who are real people, in the real world, for whom money is not “gravy”, but a real-life budgetary constraint. In that context, the Corvette C7 Z51 represent unprecedented, if not unbelievable value.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 AM
scottcharles
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well said. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Firstly, my credentials: I expect mid-October delivery here in the Cayman Islands of my Z51 coupe
Send us pictures and a review as soon as practical. What will you do for service needs there?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:40 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets just wait till a few hit the road and what kind of
recall lurk. Don't yell victory too fast
Old 09-10-2013, 12:54 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by texvette2
Lets just wait till a few hit the road and what kind of
recall lurk. Don't yell victory too fast
Well, that didn't take too long.

Almost every car has a recall or two. That does not make it a bust.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
:...
..... Corvette guy?.....
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My opinion: if you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche. A Vette should be at heart -- a Vette.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also think that even being in the same league as the Porsche is a great stride forward.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Blancpain
Pro

Great post!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 AM
LS6GXP
Racer

Old 09-10-2013, 02:27 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Recall? did someone say recall?

http://www.inautonews.com/recall-rou...s#.Ui67LT-DlCo
Old 09-10-2013, 02:27 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Buhma
I also think that even being in the same league as the Porsche is a great stride forward.
Especially a Porsche that costs twice as much as the 'vette? And they call the "back seats" in the Porsche a plus??? If you're older than about five, you aren't fitting in there. Fold 'em down, and use the space for storage, because there's nowhere else to put your luggage if you want to take a weekend trip. I know - I owned one.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:44 AM
lve2xlr8
Instructor

Very well said OP, I fully agree. The Porsche is the better car, yet I'm a bigger fan of the corvette. It's the underdog with the sweet v8 motor, removable roof and great comfort/mpg to boot. I'm confident that this is the car that will reinvent gm and make them a major player. Congratulations, can't wait to hear your review once you've had some seat time.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

First, to the OP, well written post. So the rest, just curious. I've been to Grand Cayman's three times. Not from a cruise ship. Over on the North side of the Island for a week or two each time. By the bay. So, I thought I had driven about every road there is to drive. Nice coastal roads, but with the low speed limits, how do you "work out" a sports car?

The Island is only 22 miles long. With any modern sports car, if you had a straight road, you could cover the whole thing in minutes!

Again, not being offensive. Just curious. When I was there, I thought about a high performance car. Just didn't see places to enjoy one.

The Caymans are beautiful, and envy you live there. On my bucket list to get back there a few more times.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:05 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HummelS
Especially a Porsche that costs twice as much as the 'vette? And they call the "back seats" in the Porsche a plus??? If you're older than about five, you aren't fitting in there. Fold 'em down, and use the space for storage, because there's nowhere else to put your luggage if you want to take a weekend trip. I know - I owned one.
An Automobile Mag journalist drove his wife and two kids ("under 9") from England to Germany for some laps of the Nurburgring. It can be done, and yes, that is a plus. You aren't going anywhere very far with 2 kids in the trunk of a Corvette.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...rsche_911_c4s/

Porsche also has integrated roof rack systems for those who demand more carrying capacity:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...e_roof_box.jpg

Even for convertibles.
http://cdn.gollos.com/files/9128/porsche-kayak.jpg
Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 AM
Seapar
Racer

One shouldn't rely on the back seat space in a Porsche for much of anything . There is a frunk, though. It does limit what you can buy at Costco or Home Depot. That's what the SUV is for.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Victory Against a Better Car

Old 09-10-2013, 05:45 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WMark

Again, not being offensive. Just curious. When I was there, I thought about a high performance car. Just didn't see places to enjoy one.

I just can't imagine an area on GC where you could get out of 2nd gear.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Well said!!....Wifey and I will be on a cruise this Feb that'll take us to the Cayman Islands I'll keep an eye out for your blue C7..congrats!!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

When the words"For the money"are removed from everyone s vocabulary with regard to Corvette. Then we will have a victory

Quick Reply: Corvette Victory Against a Better Car