Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plant Tour Delay

Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Xitablboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plant Tour Delay

"Things are a little bit crazy at the plant right now," plant manager Dave Tatman told about 300 people Tuesday at the Barren River Area Development District's annual luncheon at the National Corvette Museum.

Tatman said he knows the public is eager to get back into the plant, but he wants to ensure that employees are in a production rhythm. He expects tours, which generally are given to thousands of people each year, will return in late October.

"It's my responsibility to make sure we are making the best car possible," Tatman said.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 PM
DoTheyMakeOtherCars?
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Museum Deliveries are suppose to resume on Sept 30th with plant tours????
Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DoTheyMakeOtherCars?

The Museum & Plant functions are, too a large extent, independent from each other. Museum delivery does not include a Plant Tour if the Plant is closed to tours, unfortunately.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
The Museum & Plant functions are, too a large extent, independent from each other. Museum delivery does not include a Plant Tour if the Plant is closed to tours, unfortunately.
And it looks like the plant general manager believes producing as high a quality Corvette as the plant is capable of is the PARAMOUNT concern. I'm sure we all agree with that even if it would not allow for our IDEAL scenario.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

The Sept. 30th date is the date which the corvette plant will start to allow the museum to take people in on the "Buyers Tour". So some people will be lucky enough to see their corvette built after that date. I have paid the museum for the tour already. Just have to wait and see if my car goes on line before or after that date. If it is before the museum will refund your money.

I was in the plant a few months back when the museum did a special VIP tour as a fund raiser for the museum. Wait till you see all the changes. It looks like a new plant inside. New paint, new equipment and all the floors were redone. Dave Tatman and his team made great use of the down time.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by DoTheyMakeOtherCars?
The article that the OP is quoting is referring to public tours.

There is no change to the September 30th tour dates for museum deliveries, buyer's tours or photo albums.

michaelinmech, that is not correct. It has been stated and agreed to that Plant tours for museum deliveries, buyer's tours and photo albums will resume on September 30th independant of the then T.B.D. date for the resumption of public tours.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Thanks Paul for clarifying that. Wouldn't it be correct to say that the museum delivery tour is actually a VIP tour rather than normal visitor tour? I think I read somewhere in the Museum literature they called it a VIP tour and that could make it different from the OP's comment regarding tours.
Originally Posted by talon90

There is no change to the September 30th tour dates for museum deliveries, buyer's tours or photo albums.

michaelinmech, that is not correct. It has been stated and agreed to that Plant tours for museum deliveries, buyer's tours and photo albums will resume on September 30th independant of the then T.B.D. date for the resumption of public tours.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Thanks Paul for clarifying that. Wouldn't it be correct to say that the museum delivery tour is actually a VIP tour rather than normal visitor tour? I think I read somewhere in the Museum literature they called it a VIP tour and that could make it different from the OP's comment regarding tours.
The museum tour for the R8C delivery is more like the VIP tour that the NCM offers than the public tour. The public tour while walking through the basic trim and final assembly areas only has five stops where the tour guide will speak and offere details of what is going on. This is with a group of about 20 - 40 people.

The museum tour for the R8C will include all the areas that the public tour goes but will also add a few areas where the public tour is not allowed to go. It is with a private tour guide and will stop and detail an operation as questions come up. It is much more detailed and much more interactive. This associated with a museum delivery and having had a car on order.

There is also a VIP tour which visits all the same areas that the R8C tour visits and can be purchased from the NCM without having a museum delivery or a car on order.

There are also Buyer's tours and Buyer's photo albums which I won't go in to detail on here.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:13 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90

^ Thanks for the clarification and correction. I thought I had it correct but obviously did not. Getting the accurate info out to CF members is most important - thanks again Paul.

And have no fear, I'll be wrong again about something soon
Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ Thanks for the clarification and correction. I thought I had it correct but obviously did not. Getting the accurate info out to CF members is most important - thanks again Paul.

And have no fear, I'll be wrong again about something soon
No worries. You and me both.

Honestly, that's my only goal in posting here. I find this to be the most active Corvette related forum around and I really would like for it to remain the most accurate for information. When I first started coming here this forum helped me with a lot of information and I'm happy that I can pay that back. Owners deserve to have an excellent user experience and I love that this forum can be a part of that.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Thmprr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I and other Kiwis were disappointed to learn we would not be able to tour the plant when we pass through BG Sep 25-26 but I guess thats how it is. We will still visit the Museum and hope to see some C7s in the parking lots.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:11 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I know my girlfriend is chomping at the bit for the museum delivery experience to be back running soon. She's been calling Lori almost every other week for updates...lol

I did it for her car a few years ago for a surprise B-day gift ( On her B-day), and she wants to return the favor on mine. We go every year on our B-days in November. Can't wait to see the new plant

Get notified of new replies

To Plant Tour Delay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plant Tour Delay