Sponsored by:

Question about the Stinger Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Mariano
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Question about the Stinger Stripes

I have a couple of questions on the two Stinger Stripes (Carbon Flash Black and Cyber Gray) that are now available.

Are these stripes painted, or are they applied vinyl like the Camaro Rally Stripes? If vinyl, perhaps they can be dealer installed after delivery?

Any photos of CarbFlashBlk stinger stripe on Torch Red available?

Mariano (Alfie)
Old 09-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 925 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Alfie43
I have a couple of questions on the two Stinger Stripes (Carbon Flash Black and Cyber Gray) that are now available.

Are these stripes painted, or are they applied vinyl like the Camaro Rally Stripes? If vinyl, perhaps they can be dealer installed after delivery?

Any photos of CarbFlashBlk stinger stripe on Torch Red available?

Mariano (Alfie)
Paul answered this for me earlier - they are applied like vinyl 100% - easily put on after the sale. They are diff than vinyl in that they carry a top coat of real paint and clear so they gloss like the car and why they are 500. A stinger stripe of gloss vinyl will probably be about 250....

if oyu have never put on vinyl, it is simple. Spary stripe with soapy water and painted area, apply and slide around to get perfect, squeegee out the excess water and done...I'll def do mine...
Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Mariano
Pro

Originally Posted by Glen e
Paul answered this for me earlier - they are applied like vinyl 100% - easily put on after the sale. They are diff than vinyl in that they carry a top coat of real paint and clear so they gloss like the car and why they are 500. A stinger stripe of gloss vinyl will probably be about 250....

if oyu have never put on vinyl, it is simple. Spary stripe with soapy water and painted area, apply and slide around to get perfect, squeegee out the excess water and done...I'll def do mine...
Thanks Glenn. I'm seriously considering the stinger stripe in Carbon Flash Blk. I'll look into ordering and doing it my self. I have a lot of experience with applying precision decals and such (see photo).

On the other hand, I just may have it painted like I did the rally stripes on the Camaro.

Mariano (Alfie)
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 925 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Obviously paint is the way to go...because it's a hood application - easy to take off and spray- it should be very reasonable - a couple hundred....I may do the same....
Old 09-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Mariano
Pro

Originally Posted by Glen e
Obviously paint is the way to go...because it's a hood application - easy to take off and spray- it should be very reasonable - a couple hundred....I may do the same....
I would think a little more that $200. To do it properly, you'd have to deglaze (sand) the entire hood, paint the stripe and then clear coat the entire hood heavy enough to "bury" the edges of the stripe. Probably around $350-$450 (??) at a reputable shop.

Still not bad when you consider that GM charges $500 for their tape like stripe. Yes, I think I'm going to go the painted stripe route.

Mariano (Alfie)
Old 09-14-2013, 12:14 AM
bigdaddyj25
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps12aae3b9.jpg

It looks really good I think. I thought about this combo myself. Decided to go with blade silver and black stripes instead but I do like it.

Last edited by bigdaddyj25; 09-14-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about the Stinger Stripes

Quick Reply: Question about the Stinger Stripes