Sponsored by:

Paying over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Paying over MSRP

How many people are going to pay over MSRP and how much? I notice alot of dealers on the forum are charging MSRP. But I have noticed alot in the Dallas area are charging $5k -10K over MSRP.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

I've never seen anyone here admit it...but many are...it simply is a strong demand and as much as people here rail against it, some don't care and pay the money. Chevy dealers have not been in the same position with MB's black cars , BMW's M's or Aston Martin dealers, and now they want some of the hype money. Yes it's wrong but it is capitalism. 98% of buyers don't read enthusiast forums.

But in my experience, it's the smaller guys in big metros with 5 -20 slots that are doing it. I shopped 3 dealers in S Fla before using a forum member here, one was 10K above - two were at MSRP.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

^ I respect that Glen e knows the car business extremely well, and think that what he posted is likely a good summation of the C7 marketplace !

Old 09-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I've never seen anyone here admit it...but many are...it simply is a strong demand and as much as people here rail against it, some don't care and pay the money. Chevy dealers have not been in the same position with MB's black cars , BMW's M's or Aston Martin dealers, and now they want some of the hype money. Yes it's wrong but it is capitalism. 98% of buyers don't read enthusiast forums.

But in my experience, it's the smaller guys in big metros with 5 -20 slots that are doing it. I shopped 3 dealers in S Fla before using a forum member here, one was 10K above - two were at MSRP.
I am in the Bradenton/Sarasota area and I went with Stingray Chevy. I am getting my car at MSRP. While it's not exactly close to you, it would sure be worth the drive to go get it!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

thanks, but I don't need a car - ordered and being built now thru Coughlin....
Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by tonybsr
................ I notice alot of dealers on the forum are charging MSRP. But I have noticed alot in the Dallas area are charging $5k -10K over MSRP.
Not surprised. I am sure the local Houston dealers will try the markup over MSRP gambit for the first 6 months or more.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Default MSRP but waiting would have paid off

I bought my C7 from a dealer in the SF Bay Area (Dublin) who had a total of 9 allocations, and he put it in writing I would pay MSRP. He's been great. Before this all started I was dealing with a dealer in the Sacramento area who offered $2k BELOW MSRP, but suddenly went quiet when he realized he was not one of the 900 dealers with an initial allocation. I guess I could have waited, but why - life is too short, and you grab a good thing when it comes along. And who knows - by the time the second dealer gets an allocation the price may have gone up more than $2k!

One other important thing - my dealer has a mechanic dedicated to Corvettes. Nobody else touches them, so at service time I'm assured of a pro working on my baby.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:38 PM
R W B
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to disagree with one part of your post, I'd say Chevy was in the same boat of "hype money" as BMW, Aston as MB when the C6ZO6 and ZR1 came out. I personally know a few guys that payed a good bit over MSRP because they said, they simply could not find a dealer that was NOT marking those cars up. This was back when both were brand new, not now obviously.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Madmax6252
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many people are going to pay over MSRP and how much? I notice alot of dealers on the forum are charging MSRP. But I have noticed alot in the Dallas area are charging $5k -10K over MSRP.
Are you asking because you're thinking of paying over MSRP? Why do that when you can pay MSRP and arrange for a local courtesy delivery for a few hundred?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Not surprised. I am sure the local Houston dealers will try the markup over MSRP gambit for the first 6 months or more.
Classic is saying MSRP
Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Madmax6252
Are you asking because you're thinking of paying over MSRP? Why do that when you can pay MSRP and arrange for a local courtesy delivery for a few hundred?
Am not, was going to pay $2k over MSRP for one local and now he wants $3k over MSRP. So I am going to wait or catch one online or order. It isn't really the one I wanted anyway.

Last edited by HogwildC7; 09-26-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Madmax6252
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am not, was going to pay $2k over MSRP for one local and now he wants $3k over invoice. So I am going to wait or catch one online or order. It isn't really the one I wanted anyway.
The reason I asked is because I'm new to this and at first I didn't know there was such a thing as courtesy delivery. I suspect many folks who pay over MSRP are also unaware of this option.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by R W B
I'd have to disagree with one part of your post, I'd say Chevy was in the same boat of "hype money" as BMW, Aston as MB when the C6ZO6 and ZR1 came out. I personally know a few guys that payed a good bit over MSRP because they said, they simply could not find a dealer that was NOT marking those cars up. This was back when both were brand new, not now obviously.

I stand corrected , you are right.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

3k over invoice is less than MSRP, I think.....
Old 09-26-2013, 01:40 PM
R W B
Instructor

I stand corrected , you are right.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Loving my C6 Z so for me that will be a NEGATIVE!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Are the rocks really that big people are living under? This talk of demand is silly, desire might be a better word. The 7 will be coming off the line in droves so unless you have to be first on the block paying over MSRP or even MSRP for that matter is due to impatience.

Get notified of new replies

To Paying over MSRP

Old 09-26-2013, 02:05 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by R W B
In 05 New Z's were going at the"Adjusted Fair Market" Upcharge of $100K
Old 09-26-2013, 02:23 PM
DFW_C7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is at least one local dealer who is not charging over MSRP with a smaller allocation. It all depends on who you talk to - go ask around who had the best reputation when selling C5s/C6s and that's the guys you want to talk to about a C7. They are also not the ones advertising everywhere as they have a loyal group of customers already
Old 09-26-2013, 02:29 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Supply and demand. Those that want it first will pay for the privilige. This has never changed. Give it a year and it will much easier to deal for a C7.

Quick Reply: Paying over MSRP