C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Treated very poorly - GM order process is BROKEN!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by RickConti@Coughlin
I know how frustrated he is......we as a delaer body HAVE ZERO control over this stuff...

I think I remember in the early stages of the GM promotions, they said there would be no constraints, they had their suppliers in check....

and he is correct, as a smaller dealer, you have to provide a buildable order or loose the allocation...I too a victim of this...had 10 orders this week...all Z51, only 1 got it....at least down the road I know we will have more opportunities because of our volume - thank goodness,

so to the guy that has waited since January, if you want to talk, let me know..help any way I can sir....

Don't let this ruin your passion for the car
Wow....
I assumed (you know what happens then) that the dealer would KEEP the allocation and be able to order what the customer wants when the constraint items are lifted. This is a BROKEN system, and all on GM (I was going to put it all on the dealer and then read Rick's post).

Jimmy
Old 09-27-2013, 08:25 AM
harrydunn
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake Heminger
I agree I would not give up Z51 option that is just not happening
Nor would I. Just for the wheels alone.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
I feel your pain. But at the risk of sounding uncaring, first year buyers will experience more than the usual number of frustrating shortages and delays. Let's just think of it as part of the first year fun.

If an option is in short supply, GM will keep building Corvettes without that option to keep the production line moving. Your dealer is an independent business who sells GM products, they are not GM. You had an agreement with the dealer, you didn't have an agreement with GM.

Guys who really want the very 1st C7 in town will need to be flexible. And often have extra $$$ to spare.

Cheers,
JB
These may be all good points as it relates to GM.

I am used to doing business with automobile companies who effectively manage their supplier chain and treat their customers in a fair and equitable manner. I have ordered many first year new sports cars and never ran into a cluster like this. Other companies may have these issues, but they keep it transparent to the client.

I plan to contact GM at the highest level possible and if I do not get a favorable response I will more than likely focus on other cars/companies.

I was and still am VERY EXCITED about the car I ordered.

Sad state of affairs when your business practices kill the passion of your clients.

Last edited by Zhuskers1; 09-27-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Thought that blue car was a Ford.
To the OP, hope you get what you want.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It appears that GM and it's customers are both victims of the Z51's wild success. Most all of the fantastic reviews have been of the Z51 and people have clearly responded, ordering the Z51 option in large numbers. Sadly, as with all wildly successful products, shortages occur as manufacturing/suppliers struggle to keep up with demand. It is happening with the new iPhone and the Stingray Z51.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

No intention of kicking zhuskers, but I do think both Rick's post and talon90's thread are the important things to consider. While you can give up on buying the car ever, or at all, there are issues that even the mighty GM can't correct, such as all suppliers providing equipment as contractually promised.

I also don't think that pulling an allocation because it can't be delivered as promised with the options is all wrong. It could be different, but that is something they may consider in the future. Maybe. jmo.

I do think there are some lessons to be learned from this post and the frustrated posts of others, much of which is well summarized in talon's thread. It speaks to the entire build process of a new model/generation, the dealers large and small, and new car buyers' expectations of a smooth, seamless, perfect or near-perfect process.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were watching this forum then you must have realized that something was wrong with this deal. Placing an order in jan means nothing what matters is when will your order get accepted by GM. Watching people go from order status to code 3800 in 4 weeks should have sounded an alarm a long time ago. You didn't do your homework on this , and your dealer could care less. Heck I called around in sept to see what dealer had a allocation spot and went with them. There were a ton of dealers that would take my order then place me in line with the others.

Last edited by 450hp mike9; 09-27-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
No intention of kicking zhuskers, but I do think both Rick's post and talon90's thread are the important things to consider. While you can give up on buying the car ever, or at all, there are issues that even the mighty GM can't correct, such as all suppliers providing equipment as contractually promised.

I also don't think that pulling an allocation because it can't be delivered as promised with the options is all wrong. It could be different, but that is something they may consider in the future. Maybe. jmo.

I do think there are some lessons to be learned from this post and the frustrated posts of others, much of which is well summarized in talon's thread. It speaks to the entire build process of a new model/generation, the dealers large and small, and new car buyers' expectations of a smooth, seamless, perfect or near-perfect process.

Everyone has a different level of personal integrity. I personally believe if you take someones money, and give them a commitment, you need to deliver on that commitment.

I would be okay if I had been told; "all options are not available at this time your and car will be built when options are available". What I was told is that options are not available at this time, therefore you have lost your place in line and I do not know when you will be put back in line..... When I put my deposit down in January.

As I said in my first post....THIS IS A CROCK!

Don't tell me about the storms you encountered...did you bring the ship in and deliver for the customer!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zhuskers1
Everyone has a different level of personal integrity. I personally believe if you take someones money, and give them a commitment, you need to deliver on that commitment.

I would be okay if I had been told; "all options are not available at this time your and car will be built when options are available". What I was told is that options are not available at this time, therefore you have lost your place in line and I do not know when you will be put back in line..... When I put my deposit down in January.

As I said in my first post....THIS IS A CROCK!

Don't tell me about the storms you encountered...did you bring the ship in and deliver for the customer!
You should have been worried if the options you wanted would be available when your turn came around. The problem is you didn't know or bother to determine when your spot would open up. This is your own doing's and no nobody else. The dealer has no control over what will be available for production from week to week.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
If GM builds only 10 Corvettes and 100 people want them, one person cancelling their order will not make them blink an eye. Trust me, cancel your order and you'll be the one missing out, not GM. Be patient, take a deep breath, relax and just go with the flow. Try another dealership, there's probably a dozen in here that will be happy to get you the car that you want or just wait.

This.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

These may be all good points as it relates to GM.

I am used to doing business with automobile companies who effectively manage their supplier chain and treat their customers in a fair and equitable manner. I have ordered many first year new sports cars and never ran into a cluster like this. Other companies may have these issues, but they keep it transparent to the client.

I plan to contact GM at the highest level possible and if I do not get a favorable response I will more than likely focus on other cars/companies.

I was and still am VERY EXCITED about the car I ordered.

Sad state of affairs when your business practices kill the passion of your clients.
As others have stated your problems are at the dealer level. Most states have very stringent laws protecting dealerships and as a result GM does not have as much control over them as they would like.

The car with Z51 option is in strong demand and that demand is exceeding the supply of parts.

It is time to take a breath and try to get the emotion out of the equation. What made you decide on the C7 and what other cars were you considering? If, in your mind, the C7 was only slightly better than your second choice than you might be fine going in a different direction. If the Corvette was much better than your second choice than wait until you can get it configured the way you want. If you choose to stay with the C7 you would be better off cancelling your order with the local dealer and working with one of the large forum dealers.

Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:44 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It appears that GM and it's customers are both victims of the Z51's wild success. Most all of the fantastic reviews have been of the Z51 and people have clearly responded, ordering the Z51 option in large numbers. Sadly, as with all wildly successful products, shortages occur as manufacturing/suppliers struggle to keep up with demand. It is happening with the new iPhone and the Stingray Z51.
Very true, and I know it does seem unfair that an allocation is lost due to constraint.

There's more than one way to skin this cat, however. Some of these larger dealers do have unsold cars that it seems they ordered through their allocations. Maybe looking them up and seeing if they have something in that inventory, or on the truck that comes close to your order might be a good alternative.

But first, I would discuss your options the the GM at your local dealer. Clear up any possible miscommunication, see if they would have another allocation coming in the near future, or at the very least, get them to agree to a courtesy delivery if you go out of state for the car.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Durnberg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Thanks for reminding me that I also am waiting on a iPhone I retired on May 31st, bought my first Corvette on May 27th and ordered my first iPhone last week. Ironically, time slows down a bit when you are retired because I am not as active so the waiting I am enduring seems that much greater.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I put $1000 down in January to secure one of my 3 dealers 2014 allocations. Today I get a call from my dealer saying your allocation is ready and you have until next Tuesday to make changes to your order. Now for the bad news....Carbon fiber constraint and Z51 constraint. He tells me I must remove both options or my allocation will go to another order. The Z51 is not an item that I will remove from my order.

He then tells me that he does not currently have any additional allocations for 2014. Therefore he does not know if he will have an allocation when the constraints clear.

THIS IS VERY POOR BUSINESS PRACTICE

I put money down in January to secure one of your first three allocations and because GM has shortages on my desired options I loose my allocation with no guarantee that I will receive another allocation when the options I ordered are available.

This is my first Vette. I am considering canceling my order and getting another brand of sports car where my business is valued.

Very disappointed.
You didn't pick the wrong car. You picked the wrong dealership.

Your mistake was being a member of this forum and not taking advantage of the forum dealerships.

I would simply say it's a bit harsh to blame the entire Chevrolet brand when you chose to do business with a dealership that was going to get only three cars in the first ~4 months of production.

I would be very disappointed with the dealership as well, since they're your representative when doing business with Chevrolet. This is much like a waiter or waitress at a restaurant is your representative in the kitchen.

Sorry to hear of your trouble, and be sure to contact the sales manager. He'll have to show his true colors when you talk to him about this. Let us know what he says and good luck!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Default c7 order

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
That does suck, cancel your order and call one of the large dealers on this forum.
Get in touch with Rick Conti Corvette. Google Rick Conti Corvette.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 119 Posts

OP,

Just give out the details of the car you're looking for and where you're located. I am sure you can get your car through the help of the forum and quick.

This guy is not the only dealership.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Originally Posted by bmacZO6
As others have stated your problems are at the dealer level. Most states have very stringent laws protecting dealerships and as a result GM does not have as much control over them as they would like.

The car with Z51 option is in strong demand and that demand is exceeding the supply of parts.

It is time to take a breath and try to get the emotion out of the equation. What made you decide on the C7 and what other cars were you considering? If, in your mind, the C7 was only slightly better than your second choice than you might be fine going in a different direction. If the Corvette was much better than your second choice than wait until you can get it configured the way you want. If you choose to stay with the C7 you would be better off cancelling your order with the local dealer and working with one of the large forum dealers.

Good Luck!
bmacZ06,

Thank you for the advice. Trust me no emotions involved. I learned many years ago to never get emotional over material things. Disappointed yes, emotional no.

This is my first time I have been exposed to the GM allocation process and anyone who say this is the "customer fault" is not in tune with reality.

I have some calls and emails into some high level people and I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Treated very poorly - GM order process is BROKEN!

Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 PM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Love Ford Hugger Blue! Beats Night race blue and Lime Rock green any day.
GM uses the term hugger and Ford uses grabber.

If you pick a small dealership and don't ask when your allocation slot will come up . Then who's fault is it ?

Last edited by 450hp mike9; 09-27-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:09 PM
drivestwin
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, let me see if I understand this correctly.

If Gm gives a dealer 5 C7's allocation, and lets say you are 3rd in line, they have two choices.

1. Hold one of the 5 allocations for you when the constraint is lifted and tell people later in line they need to wait until the next round of allocations.
2. Give your allocation to a person who is not one of the original first 5 on their list, leaving you to await the next round of allocations.

Is this right?

If I am right, then what is hurting you may be helping the #6 guy in line?

I am on the fence about what the dealer should do. It is a difficult position that GM has put them in.....or should I say the suppliers have put GM in......or should I say the customers have put GM in because so many are ordering the Z51......or should I say that GM has put the suppliers in because they priced the Z51 too low and therefore demand is sky high?

Complex situation to say the least.

I hope the constraint is lifted and you see your order picked up soon.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Madmax6252
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bmacZ06,

Thank you for the advice. Trust me no emotions involved. I learned many years ago to never get emotional over material things. Disappointed yes, emotional no.

This is my first time I have been exposed to the GM allocation process and anyone who say this is the "customer fault" is not in tune with reality.

I have some calls and emails into some high level people and I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again
I had a very similar experience, except I pried the rules out of the dealer before placing an order, and walked away fast! My opinion is that this basically bait and switch type of tactics. I second many other opinions that you connect with one of the many reputable dealers who will honor your place in line. Also, something I didn't know about was that you can arrange for a courtesy delivery to a local (OTHER) dealer but still take advantage of the large non-local dealer allocations. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Treated very poorly - GM order process is BROKEN!