Old 09-28-2013, 07:50 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
[matrix]

There is no gas cap.

[/matrix]
Correct!! But as in Ford capless systems, there is a rubber seal that goes around the door that opens to fill up with gas. Does the C7 has a rubber seal / gasket that goes around the filler door or the opening itself. I knew someone who had to get that seal replaced on his ford car because it triggered the CEL due to seal being defective.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though it is quite frustrating OP don't sweat it until you have the dealer plug in and check, it's probably something minor. Good luck and enjoy your new ride!! BD
Old 09-28-2013, 08:34 AM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

op let us know what it is
Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

See what happens when you don't spend 3 weeks in QC? LOL J/K

Hit the OnStar button, they will tell you what the code is.
Let us know what it is.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:03 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
See what happens when you don't spend 3 weeks in QC? LOL J/K.
I know you're only kidding, but it would interesting if it turns out to be true. For starter, it'll make most of us stuck in Nashville calm down and be grateful that whatever issues (if there are any) are being taken care of.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Nevermind the extreme annoyance of getting the CEL, why is it even remotely acceptable to get only the idiotic outline of an engine icon and no code in the DIC (like we had in the C5) or more apt to the times, an email or text sent containing the detail?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

actually everyone is right...OP should be frustrated..possibly QC should have caught it...but stuff happens to every mfr ...take it in...

if it was me, I would disconnect battery - wait a couple hours or so for capacitors to drain, and reconnect...you will lose memory setting for radio,etc...
Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be worse......imagine taking delivery of a Boeing 787 and it catching fire a day later.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:20 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
You have a warranty and it's probably something minor. I'm sure GM would want to get their hands on it quickly, "hype about quality"....really?

I agree 100000000000000000%
My brand new 911S had an issue with heater system. Took it in and it's fixed...issue resolved. I dont think that just because your car popped a CEL that they NOW have quality issue.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

O man that sux. But like MOST everyone else here has stated. Just relax and take it in to GM. Did the car drive different? power loss? If It wasn't somthin you noticed off hand (other than a bright CEL) im sure its minor.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:31 AM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Bought one of the very 1st C5's, had it a week, and GM calls me and says "Do NOT drive the car". Had to bring it back (I think it was an a-arm issue if I remember correctly). They sent a flatbed to take it back to the dealer.
Since then, I've decided to let the jack rabbits get the early cars and pay MSRP (as I once did).
Go get'em boys!!!! They will fix it and everything will be ok!!!
Get all the bugs fixed, and bomb all these guys with MSRP so we can get this car down to invoice....
Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 AM
zipcode
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So to those interested, I dialed on-star and the lady I spoke with pulled the codes remotely... Something about the transmission "not communicating". I asked her what that meant but she said she was no mechanic and had no idea.

As I drove, other symptoms I noticed were that I could not read the transmission temp and the little bubble that shows what gear the car is in was blank. Engine sounded fine and was still able to row through the gears smoothly.

Tried shutting down and restarting but no luck as yet. Good news is a few miles later, the gear indicator sputtered into life and an hour after that the transmission decided to start sharing temperature data with the gauge cluster again.

To the nay sayers... You really don't have to read this thread if you truly believe that CELs are acceptable. I believe in sharing info, good or bad... That's the value i see in being a member of a forum. And to put this post in context, my car was also delivered with a paint chip on my wing mirror and multiple deep and light scratches on 3 out of 4 rims.

Anyway, first year model or not, the DMV doesn't care and I'll still need to get the car to pass a safety inspection in my state... Not sure whether the CEL will impact that.

Will update if I learn more about this problem.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:34 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once I get my C7 I will not be on here very much cause every little thing that goes wrong will be on here. Minor things should be taken to the dealer and not on here.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM
pittperson
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't believe this hasn't been asked... what's your VIN?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9
Once I get my C7 I will not be on here very much cause every little thing that goes wrong will be on here. Minor things should be taken to the dealer and not on here.
Well that's the point of this forum. Big problems....small problems. You never truly know just who your helping out through conversations. A lot of the times, it could be something so minor, you could fix it yourself. Stay positive man
Old 09-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you going to do about the wheel scratches? Multiple deep scratches is far from acceptable. I'd be more worried about that, the electronic glitch will be fixed but to spend XXXXX on a car and have the wheels roughed up is unacceptable.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pittperson
I can't believe this hasn't been asked... what's your VIN?
It is listed on GMer's Graduated List - 1262.

Get notified of new replies

To Only 142 miles and I get a CEL

Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 AM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zipcode
So to those interested, I dialed on-star and the lady I spoke with pulled the codes remotely... Something about the transmission "not communicating". I asked her what that meant but she said she was no mechanic and had no idea.

As I drove, other symptoms I noticed were that I could not read the transmission temp and the little bubble that shows what gear the car is in was blank. Engine sounded fine and was still able to row through the gears smoothly.

Tried shutting down and restarting but no luck as yet. Good news is a few miles later, the gear indicator sputtered into life and an hour after that the transmission decided to start sharing temperature data with the gauge cluster again.

To the nay sayers... You really don't have to read this thread if you truly believe that CELs are acceptable. I believe in sharing info, good or bad... That's the value i see in being a member of a forum. And to put this post in context, my car was also delivered with a paint chip on my wing mirror and multiple deep and light scratches on 3 out of 4 rims.

Anyway, first year model or not, the DMV doesn't care and I'll still need to get the car to pass a safety inspection in my state... Not sure whether the CEL will impact that.

Almost assuredly, the rim scratches were done at the dealer, paint chip might have been in transit, at the factory or at the dealer, so I don't think they are indicative of QC issues from GM...

CELs are totally acceptable, in the sense that the myriad of electronics/sensors in modern vehicles can provide thousands of opportunities per minute for errors. I mean, really, how many times a day does your IE lock up/crash on your desktop/laptop/tablet and that is no where near as complicated a system as a car. A reboot button on a car would be great...

Errors are frustrating, for sure, especially on a new, highly anticipated car, but it is likely a sensor problem, which can happen any time, anywhere, on any car. If it turns out that it is an installation problem, that is different, and should have been caught by QC for sure..

Good luck, maybe a good, hard drive will straighten it out...
Old 09-28-2013, 09:49 AM
1stTimeforEverything
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a loose connector maybe, if it sputtered back to life.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:52 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by zipcode

Hopefully it's just a loose connection or at worst maybe just a bad sensor.

Sorry to hear about the cosmetic blemishes. That would really suck.

Thanks for sharing, and please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Only 142 miles and I get a CEL