Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only 142 miles and I get a CEL

Old 09-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 905 Likes on 472 Posts
Tech Contributor

There is actually a reboot feature for most new cars - I am not saying that the chev has it, but techs like BMW and Honda/Acura use the following procedure:

1. take off both batt cables
2. touch the batt cables together - there is no spark
3. wait 5 minutes and reconnect

this drains the capacitors that hold charge after the batt is disconnect - this is like pulling the plug on your computer...

the acura forums talk about it here:

http://rl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847010

Also, low batt voltage is the biggest source of phantom CEL's - those that come and go - cars these days are rolling computers- and they don't like low voltage - anything less than 12.2 and you can get these....

Last edited by Glen e; 09-28-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Ozzy12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuse panel for a loose TCM fuse. I'm not 100% sure on C7 but you should have a transmission control module that has a datalink connection to the Engine Control Module. Sometimes a fuse could wiggle lose, or the cable could be bad. Also, you might want to cycle the key several times (by key I of course mean button) and go from off to run (not start) about 5 times. This will allow the ECM to rerun all the diagnostic tests and see what it's communicating with. I had a very similar issue in an Avalanche, never happened again, but with computers sometimes glitches occur.

Don't get too worked up just yet, obviously you have warranty for a reason. Also, of note, I find it very funny how there are several threads with guys griping to hell and back about Nashville and the QC holds and how because their car is produced they want it right now. And then we have you who is justifiably peeved about a CEL on a brand new car with less than 200 ml on the clock. To all early C7 early adopters, you can have your cake and eat it too.

GM probably should have QC held every single car and went through them, but then people would be mad that they hadn't gotten their car yet, and god forbid they get it with test drive miles on it.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM
BIg Wash AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuff happens.

No big deal. It is new car blues. Any new car. That it happened to you sucks for you, but the CEL is almost always a minor deal. Drive the car today, ignore it for now, and make a service appt. Warranty so it costs only time. That's all. A year from now it will make an uninteresting cocktail's story.

Several mentions of the gas cap which is a reference to a chronic C6 issue. Reads a vacuum leak at the filler neck if the cap isn't seated properly. Interesting there is no gas cap on the C7. Learn something everyday.

Reseat the fuel door. Maybe same type of issue different fix.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan
CELs are totally acceptable, in the sense that the myriad of electronics/sensors in modern vehicles can provide thousands of opportunities per minute for errors. I mean, really, how many times a day does your IE lock up/crash on your desktop/laptop/tablet and that is no where near as complicated a system as a car. A reboot button on a car would be great...
CEL is acceptable? Really?

CEL means there's a issue, so you're basically saying it acceptable to have a car with a problem?

This won't be the last time we will hear about the CEL for this issue.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:09 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzy12
Check the fuse panel for a loose TCM fuse. I'm not 100% sure on C7 but you should have a transmission control module that has a datalink connection to the Engine Control Module. Sometimes a fuse could wiggle lose, or the cable could be bad. Also, you might want to cycle the key several times (by key I of course mean button) and go from off to run (not start) about 5 times. This will allow the ECM to rerun all the diagnostic tests and see what it's communicating with. I had a very similar issue in an Avalanche, never happened again, but with computers sometimes glitches occur.

Don't get too worked up just yet, obviously you have warranty for a reason. Also, of note, I find it very funny how there are several threads with guys griping to hell and back about Nashville and the QC holds and how because their car is produced they want it right now. And then we have you who is justifiably peeved about a CEL on a brand new car with less than 200 ml on the clock. To all early C7 early adopters, you can have your cake and eat it too.

GM probably should have QC held every single car and went through them, but then people would be mad that they hadn't gotten their car yet, and god forbid they get it with test drive miles on it.
I'm still sticking with the cars in Nashville are getting repaired. QC doesn't take weeks to complete. Now if GM only would tell us the issues.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:11 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

What car has not had any issues upon launch? Maybe the CEL came on to remind the driver to drive it like it's meant to be driven. Lol
Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I'm still sticking with the cars in Nashville are getting repaired. QC doesn't take weeks to complete. Now if GM only would tell us the issues.
I am leaning toward agreeing with you. I'll also add that maybe few Post-Nashville VIN's are making it through the cracks and not getting caught at QC. My car has been in Nashville since 9/17 and still in QC hold.
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Drive a few more miles with a few engine stops and restarts, it could reset. Don't stress!
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I feel your pain. My 2012GS got the dreaded service T/C, active handling and anti-locking brakes at only 64 miles. Wheel hub sensor had to be replaced. It happens.

They'll figure it out.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:17 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
What car has not had any issues upon launch? Maybe the CEL came on to remind the driver to drive it like it's meant to be driven. Lol
That's not the point. I owned a launch-edition MB S-550 that had to get towed-in at 1500 miles for computer replacement.

I think what people are wondering if there could be a connection between the issue of the OP's car and what is being dealt-with in Nashville. If we didn't have the Nashville unknowns, this CEL would be a non-issue.

Last edited by zhopper05; 09-28-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:17 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by zipcode

Anyway, first year model or not, the DMV doesn't care and I'll still need to get the car to pass a safety inspection in my state... Not sure whether the CEL will impact that.
So even the car is brand new from the factory and never used, it needs a safety inspection? That sounds bizare!!!! I can see if you are selling used, but a brand new car?

My wife had her CEL come on in her new Verano and the problem was that she was putting some stuff on the front seat and it was messing with the air bag sensor because of the weight. The dealership reset something and she no longer puts stuff on the front seat and no more CEL.

Anyway, enjoy your ride.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:21 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Zip,

Sorry you're having to deal with the issues you are, including the wheels and mirror issues.

Sounds like this one is pretty minor, altho an annoyance nonetheless.

Hopefully you're getting all your bad luck for the next several years with your car all used up on the front end.

You might consider getting your own code reader. You can pick them up at any O'Reilly's or similar auto parts store. Allows you to read and clear (i.e. turn off your check engine light) any codes that get thrown. Obviously the dealer needs to check into the loose connection or whatever you have going on with this item, but having your own code reader is good to have.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:21 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Three days and 380 miles on my new C5 back in 1997. CEL comes on and it goes into limp home mode. I limp to the dealer and 10 days later, 80 additional miles and I get the car back. The dealer even threw in a busted right front fender while under their care at no additional charge to me.

I purchased GMPP extended warranty very quickly form Ken, that saved me tons on money on repairs to that car after the GM 3 years/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty ran out.

I do hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 AM
R W B
Instructor

I'd rather a CEL light on my new C7 over my brand new Ferrari 458 catching fire. Even the best automakers in the world have issues sometimes.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
CEL is acceptable? Really? CEL means there's a issue, so you're basically saying it acceptable to have a car with a problem? This won't be the last time we will hear about the CEL for this issue.
It's silly season. People will say the dumbest things to deflect criticism of the C7. CEL is acceptable on a brand new car, it's just laughable.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 AM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Goaty
It's silly season. People will say the dumbest things to deflect criticism of the C7. CEL is acceptable on a brand new car, it's just laughable.
What I said was that it was acceptable, in the sense that stuff happens, whether it is a new car or not. And a CEL does not mean the car has a problem, it can mean a lot of different things...

A no start, a bad transmission, a bad engine, AC not working, power items or radio not working, those would not be acceptable in a new car, but until you know what the CEL is on for, there is no point running around sweating the QC, etc... I know the C7 doesn't have a gas cap, but it is a good example of what can cause a CEL with no fault to the manufacturer.

I would be sweating the wheel and paint issues far more, personally...
Old 09-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I agree with you TO, as annoying as the CEL may be the cosmetic stuff would make me crazy!

Get notified of new replies

To Only 142 miles and I get a CEL

Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by asphaltrecycler
Really? What do all you early adapters expect? You are one of the first retail deliveries of an entirely new program. Name a major program that has launched recently that has NOT had a problem, issue or hiccup? I have never seen such a collective group of bratty two year olds in my life...Have most of you lived in a donut and beer filled bubble your whole lives?
On a positive note, I appreciate the efforts...I am purposely waiting until next spring for all of you to figure most of the bugs out so I can order mine with some of the issues corrected at significantly under sticker! Good luck!
Yup, could have been much worse.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks zipcode.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:21 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by c54u
So even the car is brand new from the factory and never used, it needs a safety inspection? That sounds bizare!!!! I can see if you are selling used, but a brand new car?

My wife had her CEL come on in her new Verano and the problem was that she was putting some stuff on the front seat and it was messing with the air bag sensor because of the weight. The dealership reset something and she no longer puts stuff on the front seat and no more CEL.

Anyway, enjoy your ride.

A lot of states have a mandatory vehicle safety inspection. Even on new cars. TX is one of them. Ours is yearly with the exception being that of a new car from a dealer. 2 yr in that case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Only 142 miles and I get a CEL