Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for dealers about allocation and order placement

Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Default A question for dealers about allocation and order placement

Do dealers know when they can place orders against allocation. I ask because my dealer, I think, does not have an allocation even though he has told me he does. I have ordered a convertible and every time I ask when the order will get picked up, he tells me he has to check with the "Zone Guy".

For example: A dealer has 3 convertibles allocated, do you (the dealer) have the dates that each car can be ordered?
My order is placed, I have an order number but have been at 1100 since the order was done (August 8th)

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 09-30-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Do dealers know when they can place orders against allocation. I ask because my dealer, I think, does not have an allocation even though he has told me he does. I have ordered a convertible and every time I ask when the order will get picked up, he tells me he has to check with the "Zone Guy".

For example: A dealer has 3 convertibles allocated, do you (the dealer) have the dates that each car can be ordered?
My order is placed, I have an order number but have been at 1100 since the order was done (August 8th)

Jimmy
Jimmy, there are really several layers to your question. First dealers were given an estimated production number for the first 6-9 months of production (for your dealer that was 1 convertible). They would not know when they were getting it. Next comes consensus, where they are actually assigned an allocation. They would know at that point they would have to order the car in one of the next two weeks (which they could verify after consensus was over which week). Your dealer has not been given an allocation yet on consensus. The next opportunity will be this coming Thursday.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

No. The consensus process occurs every two weeks. During consensus, every dealer is told how many coupes and how many convertibles they are getting that cycle. Until they actually get an allocation, they do not know. GM did tell all eligible dealers the total number of allocations they can expect in the first 6-9 months, but they have no idea when those allocations will occur. You can use a linear approach to estimate it, but it is only a rough estimate. For example, if your dealer has an initial allocation of 60 coupes and you are #30 in their list, then you could expect your order to be in an allocation somewhere around 3-4.5 months into the initial 6-9 months.

Based on GM'ers comment that your dealer only has 1 convertible allocation in the first 6-9 months if you are not first on his list you have a VERY LONG wait.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:58 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

No disagreement with the above responses.

My limited experience, a dealer who says he has to "check with the Zone Guy" is really saying he doesn't have an allocation and is trying to beg one from his Zone Guy.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 905 Likes on 472 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RicK T
No disagreement with the above responses.

My limited experience, a dealer who says he has to "check with the Zone Guy" is really saying he doesn't have an allocation and is trying to beg one from his Zone Guy.
1000% true......
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
darkhorsevette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was a dealer and have any allocation....technically I would be bragging about it....guarantee sale...
But what's happen if indeed the dealer doesn't have any allocation????
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Jimmy, I don't get it. You've been on these pages since about the reveal time in January with all the information flow. And your dealer's been running you around all this time?

As to the question of what happens if a dealer has no allocation, it will be a very long wait until they DO get an allocation. Until then, a buyer has two options: wait for this one dealer to get an allocation, or go elsewhere.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM
darkhorsevette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Jimmy, I don't get it. You've been on these pages since about the reveal time in January with all the information flow. And your dealer's been running you around all this time?

As to the question of what happens if a dealer has no allocation, it will be a very long wait until they DO get an allocation. Until then, a buyer has two options: wait for this one dealer to get an allocation, or go elsewhere.
When the C7 was first reveal, i knew that I wanted one....I didn't know about the ordering process, and in general who does except for peoples on this site...by the time I order my c7 and started to do research ...I came across this site...boy did I learn fast...I'm probably more knowledgable then my sale person on the C7.... Till this day he still think that c7 haven't been produced, even after I told him it has....I have been at 1100 for 6 weeks and if this Thursday I don't move up in production I am going somewhere else....
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

I don't KNOW that the dealer is running me around. He has one allocation (GM'er confirmed). What I didn't KNOW was if the dealer KNOWS when that allocation is available. GM'er confirmed that dealers do NOT KNOW.

Now, if the dealer is lying about the allocation being mine, well, I'll know that in due time. If that is what happens, then I will order from someone else. I would like the car sooner rather than later, that will happen or it won't, I am a patient soul.

Jimmy

Get notified of new replies

To A question for dealers about allocation and order placement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A question for dealers about allocation and order placement