Sponsored by:

Porsche owners- own a C7??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:46 PM
taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Porsche owners- own a C7??

Wondering if any Porsche owners have bought or driven the C7. Would like to know how it is from a real person, not a magazine.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 944 Turbo (385 hp) and a Boxster, so I may not really be considered a "Porsche owner" I had others too and have driven Porsches since about 1990, but I am not coming at it from a $140K car.

Looking to buy a C7, but want to get it in Mar-Apr timeframe so haven't ordered yet. I saw a couple in person for the first time yesterday. There are several things that worry me. I have never driven one, like you, so I don't know how that automatic is and if its any good. I'd probably lean that way at this point in my life (I'd like my wife to be able to drive it). Passenger compartment looks small and I think it sits quite low, lower than most Porsches (not sure of that, but it appears). Rear visibility may be an issue the way that hatch is pinched in the center. But a Boxster isn't giving a panaramic view by any means, either. I'm sure the car will get its share of attention and we've all seen that it's a performer. I priced out the 2014 Cayman and Boxster and I couldn't hold it under $85-$90K with the options I wanted. From a praticality standpoint, I think the C7 might have an advantage. Repair costs on even the older Porsches are high. I expect this to be a little better if it holds together the way it should.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I am and will have a C7 in two weeks.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Litumup411
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I came out of one, it was a Panamera. Does that count?

I just took delivery of a non-Z 51 manual car last night. And it handles better than my Porsche...but you may be looking for 911 owners...
Old 09-28-2013, 01:32 PM
taxdr1965
Instructor

I currently have a 2009 boxster-s am considering a 2013 boxster s or c7. While the 991 is a great car dont think its much better then the boxster-s and they are getting crazy with the pricing. Thats why I would like some feedback from porsche owners. Into how the car drives, not the brand name. If its as good as porsche in how it drives I will buy it.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Litumup411
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I hear that the base model 991 cars are being sold at a decent discount since the Boxster redo is such a hit. I don't think you would complain at all about the Stingray ride. If you live anywhere near me, or can get to one of the dealers in your area, I'm sure they would give you a test drive, just bring your Porsche
Old 09-28-2013, 01:38 PM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hope it doesn't drive like a Porsche...
Not worse, just different. Front engine rear drive will always be more fun to me.
Just a lot more controllable at the limit (I don't care what the video reviews say...).
Old 09-28-2013, 01:47 PM
speedyj88
7th Gear

Well, after lurking here for months, this thread finally made me register for the forums. I'm in the exact same position as you. Currently driving a Cayman S and highly interested in the C7. I test drove a C6 before settling on the Cayman S and absolutely hated the way the C6 drove. Way too soft in the steering feel and suspension, almost felt like an old school Cadillac. I was honestly terrified the whole time I was driving the car because I was controlling over 400hp had no road feedback. A friend has a C6 Z06 and I've driven it a couple times, much much better than the base C6 but still doesn't have that "connected to the road" feeling of any Porsche I've driven (sedans and SUVs don't count). I've seen a lot of people on this forum completely discount Porsche handling dynamics and I just have to roll my eyes when I realize they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about (or really just looking for a tourer drive in a sports car body). With that said, I've desperately been trying to get my hands on a C7 but no dealers in my area have received any and the ones that are expecting their first deliveries next week have already pre-sold their allocation. I'm really hoping the Z-51 with the MRC gives me the stiff, connected-to-the-road feeling I'm looking for. And allegedly the steering wheel is 5x stiffer than the C6, so that's also a step in the right direction.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:03 PM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyj88
Well, after lurking here for months, this thread finally made me register for the forums. I'm in the exact same position as you. Currently driving a Cayman S and highly interested in the C7. I test drove a C6 before settling on the Cayman S and absolutely hated the way the C6 drove. Way too soft in the steering feel and suspension, almost felt like an old school Cadillac. I was honestly terrified the whole time I was driving the car because I was controlling over 400hp had no road feedback. A friend has a C6 Z06 and I've driven it a couple times, much much better than the base C6 but still doesn't have that "connected to the road" feeling of any Porsche I've driven (sedans and SUVs don't count). I've seen a lot of people on this forum completely discount Porsche handling dynamics and I just have to roll my eyes when I realize they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about (or really just looking for a tourer drive in a sports car body). With that said, I've desperately been trying to get my hands on a C7 but no dealers in my area have received any and the ones that are expecting their first deliveries next week have already pre-sold their allocation. I'm really hoping the Z-51 with the MRC gives me the stiff, connected-to-the-road feeling I'm looking for. And allegedly the steering wheel is 5x stiffer than the C6, so that's also a step in the right direction.
You are right about Porsche's steering. In my opinion, BMW and Porsche have the best steering feel and it is one of the considerations I value the most.

I have driven BMW's and a Porsche on the track and love the communication through the steering wheel. My C5Z was a great car but was severely lacking in steering feel. The reports on the C7 have been very promising and I am quite sure it will be a significant improvement over previous generations.

The only other car I considered was a Cayman S but the performance level is not quite up to a C7 and I just can't get past the pricing.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I also have a Panamera 4S and will be picking up my C7 Z51 on Monday. I have yet to see a C7 in person and I'm hoping the interior is a lot better than previous vettes.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:55 PM
taxdr1965
Instructor

You are 100% correct. Porsche connects you to the road. I test drove a c6 vette before I bought the boxster. No comparison, porsche had it beat by a long shot. Honestly don't even like the look of porsche, but it drives amazing. Hope the vette is connected to the road. If not I will buy another porsche. If anyone in the ny tri state area has a c7 and wants to help a porsche owner decide on the c7, I'll buy ya lunch
Old 09-28-2013, 04:01 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

The only time a C6 comes to life is on the track. Numb steering and fat tires. Not much else to say. But on the track, a Grand Sport C6 will wear every German car out except a GT3 driven by an expert.

I can't wait to get my C7 and blow the doors off my GT3 friends.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

For those who care....I have a z51 c6 and with non run flats the steering feel is pretty dam good. I laugh at all the rhetoric as I blew out a tire and a rim last week and just picked up new high polished rims with sensors and brand new RUNFLAT C6 z51 tires and I understand what your saying.(as c6 z51 take offs brand new mounted and balanced with sensors for 1400 installed)

My point is your steering feel discussion on the c6 has more to do with Goodyear run flats than the car itself.

I don't want to argue....I just wanted to fill you guys in...

Enjoy your new c7 s.....I hear the new Michelin run flats in the c7 z51 are much improved ...as is the whole c7..

The brand new Miata I brought my now 81 year old mother to drive a few years back had nice steering feel too.

Not too fast but nice steering feel.

Fun car.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:22 PM
petee1997
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a 2013 Porsche 991S Cab and thinking of buying a C7 Z51 but intend on keeping the Porsche.

I have not driven or owned a Corvette since 1988 when I bought a new convertible. I sold the car 3months later and bought a new MB 560SL.

This new C7 is the first Corvette to hit my radar since then. I must admit that GM finally have it right on this sucker plus the price is a bargain.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:22 PM
rixvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have an '95 993 and I just took possession of my 2014 Z51. I also sold my Z51 C6 about a year ago. They are both great cars but the sheer power, ability to control the car and the interior are superior to my older 993. Not sure how it would compare to the new ones.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:24 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyj88
I have had many Porsches and currently have a Lotus Evora S. The last vette I owned was an 06 C6 Z06, I only kept her for 6 months. The reasons I sold her was lack of feel compared to the Euro cars I have in my collection. It was fast but I wanted to feel more connected to the road. I read the Z51 without the MRC is the stiffest C7 you can buy I am not sure if that is true it was in Dec/13 months Corvette magazine. I just put my name on the list and was told the Z51 has ordering restraints, It could be a while until I get to place my order.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Seapar
Racer

I ordered a C7 7 speed, z51,mrc,npp a month ago for DD, occ track toy. Recently sold my 911 c4S 2009 PDK bought used 3 yrs ago. Keeping my 2007 GT3 that I got a year ago due to a track addiction. Wife still loves her 05 manual Boxster. Looking forward to the similarities and differences. Lexus hybrid SUV for Costco(100k miles).

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche owners- own a C7??

Old 09-28-2013, 07:10 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know why they screwed the C6 up so bad. Its clear "now" the C5
was a better handling car. Maybe the talk should be C5 to C7 and forget the
C6 years
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default The new C7 is very close to my 2013 911S

I have been driving Porsches since 1978. (have owned 16 now) Corvettes since 1980 (owned 7). Both very different on the track. I have an 07 Z06 that I only drive it on the track. I have a new 427 that is awesome. Don't agree with anyone that the C5 handles better than a C6, not true at all. My daily driver is a 2013 991 911S with PDK and I track it 10 times per year; it is flat out faster than my Z06 on the track (depends on the track course) because you can drive it fast so easy. Yesterday I drove the C7 Z51 for the first time at VIR and I was very impressed. I will definitely buy one in the 3rd model year, most likely the high performance one. My brother has been driving the new 991 GT3 in Germany for the past two months and he claims it is lights-out amazing. Big dollars for the German cars unfortunately. You will not be wrong by purchasing the C7. The C7 beat the ZR1 around VIR recently. Go figure that one out. I watched this just yesterday. The Porsches are better made cars. I have had my new 427 in the dealership three times already in under 5 months of ownership. I love the car but am very fu_ _ ing irritated with the problems that have occurred. I only have 3K miles on it too. Save your money and buy the C7. If you have the money then buy the Porsche. The sports car is only going to get better over the next 5-10 years with all the amazing technology coming out.
Fuze,
Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by GordyRay
I have been driving Porsches since 1978. (have owned 16 now) Corvettes since 1980 (owned 7). Both very different on the track. I have an 07 Z06 that I only drive it on the track. I have a new 427 that is awesome. Don't agree with anyone that the C5 handles better than a C6, not true at all. My daily driver is a 2013 991 911S with PDK and I track it 10 times per year; it is flat out faster than my Z06 on the track (depends on the track course) because you can drive it fast so easy. Yesterday I drove the C7 Z51 for the first time at VIR and I was very impressed. I will definitely buy one in the 3rd model year, most likely the high performance one. My brother has been driving the new 991 GT3 in Germany for the past two months and he claims it is lights-out amazing. Big dollars for the German cars unfortunately. You will not be wrong by purchasing the C7. The C7 beat the ZR1 around VIR recently. Go figure that one out. I watched this just yesterday. The Porsches are better made cars. I have had my new 427 in the dealership three times already in under 5 months of ownership. I love the car but am very fu_ _ ing irritated with the problems that have occurred. I only have 3K miles on it too. Save your money and buy the C7. If you have the money then buy the Porsche. The sports car is only going to get better over the next 5-10 years with all the amazing technology coming out.
Fuze,
Gordy-I can introduce you to my friend that has a 997 TT that he wants to unload BADLY. When I said I can take ANY Porsche except a well driven GT3 I mean it. I will be at NASA event at Summit Point Nov 2-3. I'm in HPDE-4 but I'll drop down if you need. I'll show you what a C6 will do. Once I get my C7 I'll rape every GT3 driver as well.

Quick Reply: Porsche owners- own a C7??