Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 09-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
DallasC7
CF Senior Member

Default What is the new C7 paint condition from the plant?

As we get our C7s in from the GM plant, I'm wondering what the bodypaint will be like? Is there already a coat of wax, sealant or anything else?

I bought about $220.00 worth of exterior and interior car care products from Griots and Adams, and regardless will be washing my newly delivered C7 and applying my own layer of products, but am wondering how these new cars are shipped.
DallasC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Glen e
CF Senior Member
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasC7 View Post
As we get our C7s in from the GM plant, I'm wondering what the bodypaint will be like? Is there already a coat of wax, sealant or anything else?

I bought about $220.00 worth of exterior and interior car care products from Griots and Adams, and regardless will be washing my newly delivered C7 and applying my own layer of products, but am wondering how these new cars are shipped.
they are not shipped with paint sealant of any kind and what your dealer does is up to you...get more adams than griots....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
DallasC7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
they are not shipped with paint sealant of any kind and what your dealer does is up to you...get more adams than griots....
Thanks for the quick response. So you like Adams better than Griot? I bought a combination, of products from the two vendors. I did go with the Speed Shine from Griots versus Adams Detail Spray (I think it's called that). SS from Griots was about 10% cheaper and I've owned it in the past with satisfactory results.

Care to emphasise on why Adams > Griots?

Also, any suggestions on what products (in order) I should use on the new C7 upon arrival?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Glen e
CF Senior Member
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Griots used to be powerhouse but their stuff is not as effective/durable as Adam's or Blackfire polymers - I have a complete detail sheet I've used with everything you need that Ive sent a few here - it uses blackfire because I like that, but I like adams too PM me if you want to get it...

what ever you do, all you need is a clay , a finishing polish and a sealant....
Old 09-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
DallasC7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Griots used to be powerhouse but their stuff is not as effective/durable as Adam's or Blackfire polymers - I have a complete detail sheet I've used with everything you need that Ive sent a few here - it uses blackfire because I like that, but I like adams too PM me if you want to get it...

what ever you do, all you need is a clay , a finishing polish and a sealant....
Thank you very much, PM sent!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Michael A
CF Senior Member

I do like the Griot's interior cleaner, though. It works well, and leaves no residue.

Michael
Michael A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Glen e
CF Senior Member
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
I do like the Griot's interior cleaner, though. It works well, and leaves no residue.

Michael
not right on my part to generalize, their polishes and sealants need a refresh, their interior and tire cleaners are still top notch....I bought from them for years....
Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Carnut12
CF Senior Member

If you plan to do that day 1 I HIGHLY Suggest telling the Dealer NOT to do it, they usually add swirls and make it worse rather then better.

Tell them NOT to detail your car prior to delivery, you will not regret it.
Carnut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
DallasC7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut12 View Post
If you plan to do that day 1 I HIGHLY Suggest telling the Dealer NOT to do it, they usually add swirls and make it worse rather then better.

Right on, thanks for the advice!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
cegusa
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut12 View Post

Yes this. When I bought my C6 from dealer inventory, it was on the showroom floor. They were going to do a quick clean up form me. I told them if it was off the showroom floor and appeared to be cleaned up when I came to pick it up I wouldn't take it. I went over it closely and for being on the showroom floor there wasn't a mark on it other than a finger print or two. I didn't want them to take a chance and add any towel marks or scratches. They were happy to comply.
cegusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
ChucksZ06
CF Senior Member

I know this will not be popular but why do so many want to take a nice glossy baked on clear coat and grind on it with polishes and waxes. A few years ago I sold a 2 year old c5 that I had purchased new to a fellow. He wondered what I used to keep the car looking so good and I told him to just wash and chamois it. He called a couple of weeks later after having detailed it with a famous brand of products and said he could never make it look as good as when he got from me. If you hate orange peel then I guess you need to cut the clear coat down. I think it is a negative thing to do and I will wait years before I tear up my clearcoat. I am now ready to be told how stupid I am.
ChucksZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
DallasC7
CF Senior Member

Do you think it's unreasonable to go as far as to ask them not to even unwrap the car when it arrives from the delivery truck?

I've watched several videos on dealer unwrapping the initial cover that is on the newly delivered C7s, while most are pretty cautious (at least while being recorded), it's easy to scratch the paint by dragging the white cover across the car versus lifting and removing.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Glen e
CF Senior Member
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucksZ06 View Post
I know this will not be popular but why do so many want to take a nice glossy baked on clear coat and grind on it with polishes and waxes. I sold a 2 year old c5 that I purchased new to a fellow. He wondered what I used to keep the car looking good and I told him to just wash and chamois it. He called a couple of weeks later after having detailed it with a famous brand of products and said he could never make it look as good as when he got from me. If you hate orange peel then I guess you need to cut the clear coat down. I think it is a negative thing to do and I will wait years before I tear up my clearcoat. I am now ready to be told how stupid I am.

nope, not stupid at all..if my clear coat is remotely good, I leave it alone. In fact, I try not to touch my paint anytime unless I have a sopping wet mitt or a rinsless microfiber in my hand. I never use a semi dry towel and "quik wax" of any sort unless I just washed it. i will only polish to clean the paint with a finishing polish (extremely little cut - almost none) and then apply a a polymer sealant and go have fun.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page What is the new C7 paint condition from the plant?