Sponsored by:

The Joy and Excitement are Just About Gone

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:15 PM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GM'er
....but you WILL be driving your car by the end of the week!
Are cars still going to Nashville from 4B00 ? Simple question .
Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by OnPoint
This.

Do you want to wait longer and get a car that is right?

Or do you want the car sooner, only to let the dealer techs make it right?

I'd much rather the guys that actually made the thing sign off that it's ready to go.
Okay, here is an example for you - you take your car to the dealer because of a CEL. Thirty days later the dealer tells you he's not done with the car. You ask him why it's taking so long? He doesn't tell you. You ask him what's wrong with the car? He doesn't tell you. You ask him how much longer? He doesn't know. How much faith do you have in this dealer now?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,445 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Okay, here is an example for you - you take your car to the dealer because of a CEL. Thirty days later the dealer tells you he's not done with the car. You ask him why it's taking so long? He doesn't tell you. You ask him what's wrong with the car? He doesn't tell you. You ask him how much longer? He doesn't know. How much faith do you have in this dealer now?

That's why I'd rather the manufacturer be the one to make sure the product is good to go prior to me taking delivery and paying for it.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

That's why I'd rather the manufacturer be the one to make sure the product is good to go prior to me taking delivery and paying for it.
You're missing the point. Change the word "dealer" with "manufacturer". The point is not the qualification of the repair expert, it's the silence about it all.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

You're missing the point. Change the word "dealer" with "manufacturer". The point is not the qualification of the repair expert, it's the silence about it all.
Will knowing all the details speed up your delivery?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

I only speak for myself - I am okay with the delay if I know the reasons why.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

I only speak for myself - I am okay with the delay if I know the reasons why.
I understand.

For me, it wouldn't really matter. It arrives when it arrives. I want it to be right, so if they take a little extra time to make it right, I prefer that.

I've ordered 3 new vettes before. They all took a different amount of time to arrive, and they all 3 were perfect (and deadbolt reliable). At the end of day, when I picked them up (one was delivered to me), the wait for it became a quickly faded memory, supplanted by all the damn fun I was having with it.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

No, not at all but then we can stop bitching about what's wrong with it and move on to the only subject which is why the heck it's taking so long

I think it's the lies more than anything else that really has everyone upset. While some will say GM Told us that the all the initial cars will go through QC we can smell the BS.

Quoted from interview with Corvetteblogger.com:

John Fitzpatrick: “There are cars that are going directly out from the factory to dealerships, but there are a handful of cars that still have to complete their quality assessment. The quality assessment is being done in two places. One is Bowling Green, the other is being done in Nashville. Why two different places? Really, every car needs to get looked at before it gets sent out. As we announced in the press release, we have 1,000 cars that we’ve produced. Every one has to be checked out before we say okay, yes or no. And so just because of the magnitude of that, we really wanted to find the expedite it, to see if we could get more hands on the cars and get them through the process, we decided to move some of the cars down to Nashville and once they are done with the quality assessment, they are shipped directly to the dealer out of Nashville.”

CorvetteBlogger: What is the current quality control time for cars that are getting built now. I think we’re in the 1200-1300 VIN numbers and you’ve already had 1,000 go through. We kind of time frame are we looking at for these current cars getting built?

John Fitzpatrick: “The same as the other cars, they all go through the same process. Like with anything else, you hope with better practice you’re delivering higher quality product but the same rigorous reviews go on all these cars at this point.”

So they ALL go thought the SAME process? Oh really...
Handful? How big are his hands?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

I hear ya, Run.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 AM
Cool Rod
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
No, not at all but then we can stop bitching about what's wrong with it and move on to the only subject which is why the heck it's taking so long

I think it's the lies more than anything else that really has everyone upset. While some will say GM Told us that the all the initial cars will go through QC we can smell the BS.

Quoted from interview with Corvetteblogger.com:

John Fitzpatrick: “There are cars that are going directly out from the factory to dealerships, but there are a handful of cars that still have to complete their quality assessment. The quality assessment is being done in two places. One is Bowling Green, the other is being done in Nashville. Why two different places? Really, every car needs to get looked at before it gets sent out. As we announced in the press release, we have 1,000 cars that we’ve produced. Every one has to be checked out before we say okay, yes or no. And so just because of the magnitude of that, we really wanted to find the expedite it, to see if we could get more hands on the cars and get them through the process, we decided to move some of the cars down to Nashville and once they are done with the quality assessment, they are shipped directly to the dealer out of Nashville.”

CorvetteBlogger: What is the current quality control time for cars that are getting built now. I think we’re in the 1200-1300 VIN numbers and you’ve already had 1,000 go through. We kind of time frame are we looking at for these current cars getting built?

John Fitzpatrick: “The same as the other cars, they all go through the same process. Like with anything else, you hope with better practice you’re delivering higher quality product but the same rigorous reviews go on all these cars at this point.”

So they ALL go thought the SAME process? Oh really...
Handful? How big are his hands?
If it's the same QC process in both places, why are the cars in Nashville being held up but not the cars in Bowling Green?

It's more likely that the cars sent to Nashville have something different about them.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

There's a small but important (IMHO) fact you're missing here: the car that hasn't been delivered yet isn't yours! It's still GM's. The dealer doesn't own it, and neither do you. I may be sounding a bit snippy, but the simple fact of the matter is: GM owes you precisely nothing at this point in the game.

Compare that with taking your car to the dealership for a CEL. In this case, the car is yours, and you have some right due to ownership to know what the hell's going on with it.

It may not seem like there's a difference, but there is. And it's a big one.

Patience. Stop bitching. The car you ordered will make it to you and you'll be all smiles.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jvp
There's a small but important (IMHO) fact you're missing here: the car that hasn't been delivered yet isn't yours! It's still GM's. The dealer doesn't own it, and neither do you. I may be sounding a bit snippy, but the simple fact of the matter is: GM owes you precisely nothing at this point in the game.

Compare that with taking your car to the dealership for a CEL. In this case, the car is yours, and you have some right due to ownership to know what the hell's going on with it.

Patience. Stop bitching. The car you ordered will make it to you and you'll be all smiles.
Then what would you tell Drake, who already paid for his car last week, and has registration in his name? Right, wrong, or indifferent with respect to the fact he shouldn't have bought it before delivery; they still won't tell him what's going on.

This is not my first Corvette (my 10th as a matter of fact), nor is it the first launch vehicle I am getting. Most of us won't mind waiting, if we know why. Telling us we are not owed an answer is not how good business is conducted.

Now to the point you raised - the cars that are being built are not mine, but VIN 106 is a custom order for me. That's why I am the only one that can check on it (other than my dealer of course), track and discuss its progress with GM. Based on these premises, I have the right to know if there are issues with the product and what is being done to correct them.

Jvp - do you have one on order that has been quarantined with no end in sight?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Originally Posted by GM'er
....but you WILL be driving your car by the end of the week!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Folks,

I started this thread to lament the long time its taken from initial deposit to delivery.

I did not start this thread to begin another bitch session.

There are and have been too many of them already.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

I fully disagree STRONGLY that GM owes him nothing. He ordered the car. He is the CUSTOMER. Do you not get what it means to show respect to customers by keeping them informed on what is going on with the $60K plus car that the CUSTOMER ordered. I can't stress CUSTOMER enough. I have been in professional sales for almost 40 years. I deal with extremely large customers. I cannot imagine them saying to me "gee, we don't really care when the product we ordered gets here, not biggie"

My *** would be fired over that sort of attitude.

BTW, just to be clear on my position, I'm not arguing the point that the car is being held up for what might be perfectly good reasons. What I'm arguing is that GM is not telling the customer what is going on. That is what is inexcusable.

Last edited by jschindler; 10-02-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by schilitj
Folks,

I started this thread to lament the long time its taken from initial deposit to delivery.

Jeff
Jeff - do you really think we're mature enough to stick and abide by these rules? LOL.

Seriously, you're right. I totally agree with you, that's why I started the thread for the Nashville Quarantines to take the b*tching and whining to one place.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by schilitj
Folks,

Jeff
Uhhh, you didn't start it as a bitch session? Then why did you start it? Lets at least be honest here Jeff.

Get notified of new replies

To The Joy and Excitement are Just About Gone

Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by jschindler
I fully disagree STRONGLY that GM owes him nothing. He ordered the car. He is the CUSTOMER.
Read in context please. You have a severe problem doing that, and have since you've started participating here on the CF. It's why I've come close to plonking you several times.

My point is that he doesn't OWN THE CAR YET! Get it? It's not like taking HIS car to the dealer for service, which is precisely the comparison he made earlier. While it may seem like an insignificant difference, the difference is actually huge. In the former: GM owns the car. The latter: he does.

As for the order: he's a customer of the dealer. It doesn't mean GM doesn't care, it's just that at this point in the process, GM doesn't owe him anything. They owe the dealer something, and that something is a car. When we get to a place like Tesla is pushing such that we can order Corvettes directly from GM, the story will be completely different. Until then, it's the dealer. Not GM.

Get it?

(Knowing the specific audience: probably not. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Much better to be delayed and delivered without problems than to be delivered sooner and it becomes a nightmare after delivery.

I bet most of the people whining about the delay would be whining even more so if their car was a lemon.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jvp
Read in context please. You have a severe problem doing that, and have since you've started participating here on the CF. It's why I've come close to plonking you several times.

My point is that he doesn't OWN THE CAR YET! Get it? It's not like taking HIS car to the dealer for service, which is precisely the comparison he made earlier. While it may seem like an insignificant difference, the difference is actually huge. In the former: GM owns the car. The latter: he does.

As for the order: he's a customer of the dealer. It doesn't mean GM doesn't care, it's just that at this point in the process, GM doesn't owe him anything. They owe the dealer something, and that something is a car. When we get to a place like Tesla is pushing such that we can order Corvettes directly from GM, the story will be completely different. Until then, it's the dealer. Not GM.

Get it?

(Knowing the specific audience: probably not. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...)
I don't take well to being insulted, and if you read my response you can't possibly miss the fact that I understood the fact that he does not own the car yet. And to say that he is a customer of the dealer shows me that you don't understand the relationship of an authorized dealer and the manufacturer. He is a customer of both.

Last edited by jschindler; 10-02-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: The Joy and Excitement are Just About Gone