C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum Delivery Experience (long)...full description and review...(spoiler: AWESOME)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Museum Delivery Experience (long)...full description and review...(spoiler: AWESOME)

This is a long post and for that I'm sorry, but it's a worthwhile read. I just felt it important to get out there...

I thought I would attempt to put into words the incredible experience we had picking up our Stingray at the National Corvette Museum on the first day of deliveries for the C7, Monday, September 30, 2013. The day’s activities are detailed below, but at the outset, let me say that it was a day I will never forget. Lori, Shane and all the folks there are just superb. They have seen to every detail and do everything possible to make your pickup day special and unforgettable.

My son decided to accompany me to pick up the car, a slight change from the original plan for my wife to be with me and a change of which I hadn’t informed the museum. While the placard by the car welcomed my wife and me, the TV screens and the sign over the plant entrance were promptly changed to greet Patrick and me...that’s attention to detail!

My son and I stayed Sunday night at The 1869 Bed & Breakfast, owned by NCM Executive Director Wendell Strode and his wife Jan. It’s an idyllic farm about 10 minutes from the museum and just lovely. Staying there just about completed total immersion in the Corvette delivery experience. Jan and Wendell are delightful folks and it was great getting to know them away from the museum. After a great breakfast Monday morning while chatting with Jan, we were on our way for the 7:45 appointment. We’ll stay there again for sure. Thanks Wendell and Jan!

On arrival at 7:45, we were warmly greeted by our guides for the day, Ron Barton and Larry Crosbie. Ron was a Corvette plant retiree with an encyclopedic knowledge of the plant and Corvette history and Larry was his trainee and as enthusiastic a Corvette fan as I’ve ever met. We gawked at the car for a few minutes and got acquainted and then they introduced us to Lori and Shane. It was wonderful to put a face with the names and voices with which I had become so familiar. We signed a few release forms, got our lanyards and ID’s and headed over to the plant in vans.

At the plant, we signed in at the guards’ desk and headed on into the plant floor. Words are difficult to come by to explain what it feels like to watch these cars being born. The plant workers seem to work at an almost leisurely pace, doing their jobs with care and precision. They were all surprisingly friendly and many greeted us with smiles, waves and some even thanked us for buying one of “their cars”. On one occasion, the line stopped for a minute or two and the guy assembling and hanging driver’s doors came over to chat with us. He showed us what he was doing and how critical some of his work was to the proper functioning of the door and window. Ron reminded me that since they only run one shift, that these were THE VERY PEOPLE who built my car! We watched almost every facet of the assembly from a nearly bare frame to the first time the wheels touch the floor, first startup and a dyno run. There was so much more but this paragraph is already too long. The tour lasted almost 4 hours! I almost forgot I was there to pick up a Corvette! Having Ron, a long time plant veteran who knew everyone there just made it special.

We headed back over to the museum after a quick drive through the infamous back lot. Man, there was a TON of Vettes out there (almost full lot) and at least 5 haulers being loaded while we watched. For those of you waiting, you’ll be glad to know that all the cars in the lot had their covers on, apparently put on now as they leave the plant.

Back at the museum, my son and I had a very quick lunch on the Corvette Cafe and then joined Ron and Larry for an abbreviated tour of the museum. By this point, I wanted to get on with the delivery, as did my son. I decided that my wife and I will return to the museum, maybe for the Bash and really take it in. It’s a stunning collection, very well done and deserves at least a few hours of your time to take in. It was nice for the delivery experience to include the museum tour, but it’s probably a bit difficult for most people to keep their head in it, knowing a Corvette is outside in the hall with their name on it.

So, Ron, Larry, Patrick and I adjourned to an office, did a little paperwork, signed a few forms and completed the delivery file using the documents I’d brought and went out to the car. The ropes were removed and we began going over the car. Larry affixed my temporary tag, then he and Ron spent about 45 minutes instructing us on the operation of the car assisted by an engineer from GM, on hand for the first day of museum delivery to smooth out any rough spots and help things go smoothly. They attended to every question we had and very ably went over what we needed to know to get us home happily. It was not a long, drawn-out affair...to the point and helpful.

With that, I got into the passenger seat and Ron drove the Vette up Corvette Blvd with me waving like an idiot while all the museum employees and other visitors lined the way and applauded loudly, whistling and cheering. What a gas!!! It was SO COOL. Wendell came out of his office to shake my hand through the window and offer his personal congratulations and thank us warmly for staying with he and Jan the night before. We drove out front and Larry took a few more pictures.

I drove the car over to where the rental car was and my son and I transferred our bags to the Corvette. I handed the rental car keys to Larry, we all shook hands and Patrick and I were off into the sunset at about 4 pm.

One further note...for a nominal fee, you can get a copy of your Vette’s build sheet at the museum from their archives department, which I did, and you can also have both it and your window sticker laminated for a very reasonable fee. They also laminated my cheesy cardboard NC 30 day tag so it wouldn’t curl up if it rained on the way home and created another keepsake in the process.

If you’ve read this far, it’s plain to see that the R8C Museum Delivery Experience is worth every penny. I can not emphasize how much Lori, Shane and the staff there do to make you feel like a real special person for the day. I truly will never forget it and I’ll think of it every time I get into the Vette. Likewise, I will always think of that first glimpse of my car sitting on Corvette Blvd, roped off like a museum piece with visitors gaping at it, admiring it and just sitting back to watch with a pride of ownership. The added bonus of being able to see it on webcam for a few days leading up to delivery just heightened the excitement.

Lori, Shane, Ron, Larry, Wendell and Jan...from the bottom of my heart...please accept my deepest gratitude for a truly unforgettable experience that my son and I will treasure forever. Thank you.
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 PM
jcs32
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I have been considering the museum delivery and your review answers a lot of my questions. Enjoy the car!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 PM
LoneStarFlyer
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great read! Sounds like the upcharge for a museum delivery is worth every penny. Thanks for sharing your experience and enjoy your new ride!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 PM
vadams44
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for a very informative post. I am doing the museum delivery as well-have a vert ordered and do not know when I will actually get the call that the car is ready to schedule a pick-up. Based on the description of your experience, I can hardly wait.
You car looks awesome and I am sure you and your family will enjoy many days of driving this awesome vehicle. I am in Raleigh, so its good to see another "Carolina" boy get his dream car. Congrats and enjoy, my friend.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 PM
PokerMunkee
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats, great looking C7.

How does the travel logistics work? I take it you fly into Nashville and get a one way rental car? The Museum takes care of returning your rental?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 AM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Great read, cool car.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

great post - love to hear more about the car and your ride home...
Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 AM
C7_Z51
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's fantastic. Awesome story.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:38 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, I had no idea that the museum delivery was such a full day. Thanks for sharing that. After reading the whole story, I feel I can live vicariously through you! Love your car too! Congrats!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:48 AM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

Great write up, I am going for a museum delivery hopefully sometime this month. After reading your post I am even more excited then ever
Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Congrats, great looking C7.

How does the travel logistics work? I take it you fly into Nashville and get a one way rental car? The Museum takes care of returning your rental?
The museum has a special arrangement with Enterprise for a one way rental from Nashville airport and Enterprise does a daily pickup from the museum. Apparently, when you leave, museum personnel place your car in a special place in the lot for pickup. You can leave your bags locked in the car for the day and transfer them to your Vette on departure.

It's so easy.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glen e
great post - love to hear more about the car and your ride home...
Here ya go...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...m-the-ncm.html
Old 10-02-2013, 01:22 AM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Visiting from California, I was at the museum on September 27th. I didn't realize that I was witnessing the first batch of Museum Deliveries of the C7. I do recall seeing a roped-off yellow 2014 like yours. Nice!

Yes, there were several truckloads of cars getting ready to ship. One transport truck was parked at my hotel (the newly opened and luxurious Hotel Sync which is in walking distance). In the hotel lot I was able to closely study the undercarriages, wheel varieties, and peek into a few of the windows. Seems that a lot of red interiors are being ordered, which looks hot on this car. There were also a few C7's they were playing around with at the rear of the museum. One had the exhaust option and sounded great.

Congrats!
Attached Images  

Last edited by JimmyLee; 10-02-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 AM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! Sounds like a great time with your son. Beautiful car, congrats!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Great write-up! You and your son obviously had a great time. I saw the tail-end of your delivery. I had Ron for one of my deliveries - great guy! Too bad you didn't stay another nite . I always spend the second day going slowly thru the Museum and taking lots of pix, and spending time (and money) in the store. It is definitely a great experience!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Nice Story!!! Congrats....
Old 10-02-2013, 02:21 AM
KaKruisin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very well done - this is great - I now know how to plan my trip in a couple of weeks. I will also plan to use back roads, and not just interstate highways as you described.

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery Experience (long)...full description and review...(spoiler: AWESOME)

Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Ron Barton is super and has done two of our past deliveries. Hate to see him eventually retire from NCM. Ron worked at both the St. Louis and BG vette assembly plants!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

My turn comes on Oct 11. Trying to keep from getting too excited too early!

Thanks for the writeup. Very well done.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I really enjoyed your story and had considered the NCM delivery option. But we all have to deal with logistics and they didn't line up right for me at this time. But my TR A6 Z51 w/Mag Ride, 2LT Kalahari, Navi, C/F dash, black wheels & red calipers and performance exhaust should be born next week (I'm at 3400). Then my dealer will hook me up with a customer wanting the NCM package and I'll drive them from Atlanta to BG and tag along on their delivery process and tour. The only thing I'll miss is the fee and the plaque. I did order the album and will join NCM with the lifetime package.

Congrats to you and your family on your new daughter . Have you named her yet? My gal will be LoLita . Kind of sassy for the Torch Red damsel.

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery Experience (long)...full description and review...(spoiler: AWESOME)