Sponsored by:

front camera that will record

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Default front camera that will record

I saw AFORAND's post regarding a front camera. I didn't want to hijack his thread, but I have wished several times that I had a front camera that would record Oh, say an hours worth of driving time. Several times my Corvettes have been struck by debris or other such things falling off of trucks. It would make it easier to collect damages from the culprits when this happens. The police already have something like this.

I don't want something dash mounted like I think they have. Is there anything already out there that I am not aware of?

steve
Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 AM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyboyslc1
I saw AFORAND's post regarding a front camera. I didn't want to hijack his thread, but I have wished several times that I had a front camera that would record Oh, say an hours worth of driving time. Several times my Corvettes have been struck by debris or other such things falling off of trucks. It would make it easier to collect damages from the culprits when this happens. The police already have something like this.

I don't want something dash mounted like I think they have. Is there anything already out there that I am not aware of?

steve
There are many dash cams available, mostly from Korea. You need hi-def. No lights and no built in view screen is required. Expect to pay around $180. I have 2 installed on my trailblazer, one in front and one in back.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobius is under $90 from Amazon.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Some cameras will record front and back........ like most things it comes down to dollars.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Blue Lagoon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recording

I have used this camera in an earlier life. Worked flawlessly. What makes it fit your wants about road debrs damage, IMO, is it is "on" but not recording all the time.
There is a setable option that allows you to hit the record button and it will start the recording (if I remember right) either 30 secs, 60 secs, or 2 minutes prior to hitting the button. It is always saving that amount of time to flash memory, and only recording it when the record button is hit. So if a refrigerator falls off the truck in front of you, hit the record button and the 2 minutes prior to and all after are recorded, until stopped. Cost is high ($4,295), but pretty small footprint.

The ability to record what happened before you hit record is the awesome part.

http://www.digitalallyinc.com/DVM-500PlusSystem.html

Mike

I am in no way, shape, or form associated with this company.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

What to look for (and is hard to find) is one that will come on with the car
(switched 12v plug, and just starts recording without having to press any buttons) and automatically just keeps overwriting the SD card as needed.

I have found this but not in anything with good enough resolution.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:13 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobius will loop and keep overwriting. Supports 64GB micro sd. You can wire it to +12VDC into your fused ignition.

Look at dashcamtalk.com for more options.

I have no financial interest in recommending the Mobius. I own one though.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
Mobius will loop and keep overwriting. Supports 64GB micro sd. You can wire it to +12VDC into your fused ignition.

Look at dashcamtalk.com for more options.

I have no financial interest in recommending the Mobius. I own one though.
I agree, look at dashcamtalk.com for lots of good info.
The set up that records front and back typically do not record at HD when both cameras are used. That is why I opted to get two separate but identical cameras. You need HD to read plate numbers.

Also the cameras need to be put in place and forget..i.e. no buttons to push at any time. Records over the oldest files.

Also a good suggestion is to get the power supplies that will disconnect the camera when battery voltage drops below 11,8 Volts so it doesn't drain your battery.

Include GPS and motion and shock recording for when it is parked and someone hits the car. It will save a few minutes before and after the event. I have the ITB HD black box that has all of these features and seems to work fine with the power supply.

Get notified of new replies

To front camera that will record