Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update for NAvigation System

Old 10-03-2013, 02:51 PM
MANECKED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Update for NAvigation System

Anyone comment on wether updates are needed for the Nav system in the C7 and if so, is there a cost involved/
Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Hopefully it's all Sat-driven, so no DVDs. My Acura is Sat driven and updates automatically...
Old 10-03-2013, 03:14 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by MANECKED
Anyone comment on wether updates are needed for the Nav system in the C7 and if so, is there a cost involved/
You don't need to update now. But when the time comes, and I wouldn't do it more than every 2-3 years. More than that you don't get a benefit.

But when the time comes to update, you will need to take it to the dealer. He will use the USB port. There will be a cost.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
Hopefully it's all Sat-driven, so no DVDs. My Acura is Sat driven and updates automatically...
No dvd's!
Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Updates will be required. They will be dealer installed and there will be a fee for the update and install. Fee structure has not been determined yet. You won't see anything in the way of an update for almost a year.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
The GPS antenna (satellite) simply provides your location information to the system, so that the system can figure out where your car is located and what direction it needs to go in to reach a destination. The actual maps, routing information, points of interests, locations, streets & highways, etc all still need to be saved somewhere. That is generally several Gigabytes of information which is why it needs to be stored on a DVD, physical harddrive or some sort of flash memory type storage.

Chances are that your Acura's system is harddrive based. And the dealer has a yearly map update they can apply to your car. If Acura is really on its game, then there could even be way where you can update the maps & other information yourself.. by simply downloading an update from a website to a USB thumbdrive and inserting it into the car to apply the update from there. Actually I just checked. And thats EXACTLY the process Acura has in place to keep your maps updated: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT.../Default-Start
Old 10-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Jesterissimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talon - what about other updates like changes to the mylink thing - will those be charged or will only the nav updates be charged?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Maybe that's the way it used to be. It's different now. My Lexus is a 2010 and the data is stored on a hard drive (chip). Like previously posted, updates are done through the dealership. You pay the fee in parts and they use a computer using the key given by parts to download the map/navi upgrade into the system to the computer through the USB port. It's eliminated the disk piracy that was happening for all brands.
Originally Posted by Daekwan06
The GPS antenna (satellite) simply provides your location information to the system, so that the system can figure out where your car is located and what direction it needs to go in to reach a destination. The actual maps, routing information, points of interests, locations, streets & highways, etc all still need to be saved somewhere. That is generally several Gigabytes of information which is why it needs to be stored on a DVD, physical harddrive or some sort of flash memory type storage.

Chances are that your Acura's system is harddrive based. And the dealer has a yearly map update they can apply to your car. If Acura is really on its game, then there could even be way where you can update the maps & other information yourself.. by simply downloading an update from a website to a USB thumbdrive and inserting it into the car to apply the update from there. Actually I just checked. And thats EXACTLY the process Acura has in place to keep your maps updated: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT.../Default-Start
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Maybe that's the way it used to be. It's different now. My Lexus is a 2010 and the data is stored on a hard drive (chip). Like previously posted, updates are done through the dealership. You pay the fee in parts and they use a computer using the key given by parts to download the map/navi upgrade into the system to the computer through the USB port. It's eliminated the disk piracy that was happening for all brands.
You missed that in my original post. I already said that its probably harddrive based and that dealer updates it.

Get notified of new replies

To Update for NAvigation System

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update for NAvigation System