C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone brave enough to post front license plates holders?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Xfactors
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonAGr
Found this one at classic chevrolet in grapevine texas, but doesn't have the actual plate on it

Okay, are we to assume that the curved plate is legal in Texas? I live in El Paso, and I prefer the curved one if it's legal.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 AM
pgway
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrrrkva
I was installed mine using the "flat" bracket, but before I put it on the corvette one, I wanted to see some pictures. Show us those front plates!
Posted in a different thread!
Answers for those having trouble with with the front plate bracket. Pics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have seen a few post where people are having trouble figuring out the front plate brackets that come with the car. I installed mine last night without much trouble. I used the curved one, because its obviously the best looking one! I know some states have laws about minimum plate height. This one sits 11 inches at the bottom of the plate, off the ground. I dont think too many police officers are going to give anyone too much trouble about that. At least you made a good faith effort to put a plate on!!

First step is to pull the "Corvette" plate off the curved bracket. I know it says not to install the plate to the bracket, but just ignore that! (who reads warnings anyways??) Once removed, if you look closely, there are four small dimples in the bracket that will line up with the holes in the plate. I used a small drill bit to drill pilot holes in the bracket.

Next, install the two plastic fasteners and install the bracket on the car. The fasteners dont snug down, they tighten the bracket enough to hold and then they slip so you cant overtighten the bracket and break the grill.

I used 4 self tapping screws to mount the plate. I recommend 4 so that it holds all 4 corners from flaring out.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by pgway; 04-01-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree neither plate holder would be my choice, but of the two, the curved one looks the best.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Stick it inside the windshield next to a box of donuts. Works for me.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 AM
66dreams
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Just another reason to love my 'Peach' State, Georgia !!! No front plate leaves the front end as designed in the wind tunnel
Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 AM
hokiebus
Instructor

Wonder how much a ticket is for no front plate in VA. Live in VA, probably will run w/o front plate - plate destroys the front look.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 AM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

The show bracket in the grill is fugly but almost acceptable for people like me living in a state with a lot of cops and a front plate law. I googled it and there are just 16 states that don't use a front plate. Maybe I need to move.

No way in hell would I attack the front of that gorgeous car with the normal plate holder!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 AM
tcbrazil2012
Advanced

Haha I would just take the ticket, before I ruined the front fascia of my C7. I have been running the german tags I got from my M3 european delivery on the front and back for last 2 months...haven't been pulled and cops dont give a ****.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonAGr
Found this one at classic chevrolet in grapevine texas, but doesn't have the actual plate on it

This the way to go. Screw minimum height.....
Old 10-04-2013, 12:30 PM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front license plate brackets

Do both flat and curved come with the car?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The one pictured on the gray car is definitely pluggable. When I was at Carlisle I was talking to a GM engineer about the plates and they told me the Z51 cars will have pluggable plate holders that are supposed to be removed when you take the car to the track. If you don't you will have overheating problems. Not sure what holds them to the car but they are supposed to be easily removable. Drive to the track, pop the plate off and run the car hard, when done pop the plate back in place and drive home.

Bill
Old 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Woof
Old 10-04-2013, 04:03 PM
1998prince
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I read this thread the other day and driving home noticed that almost 25% of the cars weren't running front plates. My vette hasn't had one on it in almost 3 years. I'd take my chances and keep the car looking good.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:03 PM
LouB57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pgway
Posted in a different thread!
Answers for those having trouble with with the front plate bracket. Pics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have seen a few post where people are having trouble figuring out the front plate brackets that come with the car. I installed mine last night without much trouble. I used the curved one, because its obviously the best looking one! I know some states have laws about minimum plate height. This one sits 11 inches at the bottom of the plate, off the ground. I dont think too many police officers are going to give anyone too much trouble about that. At least you made a good faith effort to put a plate on!!

First step is to pull the "Corvette" plate off the curved bracket. I know it says not to install the plate to the bracket, but just ignore that! (who reads warnings anyways??) Once removed, if you look closely, there are four small dimples in the bracket that will line up with the holes in the plate. I used a small drill bit to drill pilot holes in the bracket.

Next, install the two plastic fasteners and install the bracket on the car. The fasteners dont snug down, they tighten the bracket enough to hold and then they slip so you cant overtighten the bracket and break the grill.

I used 4 self tapping screws to mount the plate. I recommend 4 so that it holds all 4 corners from flaring out.

Hope this helps!!
I just followed this, found 4 perfect self tapping screws, was the easiest thing. It really does not look bad at all, and much much better than the flat one, which sits on part of the hood, and looks hideous.

I don't know if its legal height in CT, But I'd rather take my chances with it being low, than not being on the front at all, which is required here.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:18 PM
lggque
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 1 Post

No way...if need be i will just eat the cost of tickets.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
C7VY
Advanced

In Texas it just went to one plate!

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Search/...ighlightType=1

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone brave enough to post front license plates holders?

Old 10-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C7VY
In Texas it just went to one plate!

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Search/...ighlightType=1
That is quite old and it never became law. It got stuck in committee. Texas is still a 2 plate state and they actually increased the fine to $200 for a violation.

http://openstates.org/tx/bills/83/HB657/
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Matt26
That is quite old and it never became law. It got stuck in committee. Texas is still a 2 plate state and they actually increased the fine to $200 for a violation.

http://openstates.org/tx/bills/83/HB657/
Send an email to http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...105&session=83

Her explanation http://www.journals.house.state.tx.u...AL.PDF#page=18

And ask why displaying one plate will be considered "not displaying any plates at all"

We can thank Author; REP Linda Harper Brown for this one.
HB 625 Author: Harper-Brown

Sponsor: Carona
Last Action: 06/14/2013 E Effective on 9/1/13
Caption: Relating to the penalty for the operation of a vehicle without a license plate.

http://legiscan.com/TX/rollcall/HB625/id/267956

THe following Rep's attempted to change it to one plate.
http://legiscan.com/TX/bill/HB657/2013

It makes me curious if they realize that displaying 1 plate was now considered not displaying any plate at all. I could understand a harsh punishment for no plates but to have a law to punish someone for only displaying a single plate is pure politics.

Remember who you represent.

The new TX law will consider you to not have any plates at all for not displaying one. The 200 dollar fine is in HB625.

TITLE 43 TRANSPORTATION
PART 10 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 217 VEHICLE TITLES AND REGISTRATION
SUBCHAPTER B MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
RULE §217.22 Motor Vehicle Registration
(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

A) must display two license plates, one at the exterior front and one at the exterior rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in a horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom, except that a vehicle described by Transportation Code, §621.2061 may place the rear plate so that it is clearly visible; or
http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/...0&ch=217&rl=21

Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:

(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and

(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that:

(1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and

(2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

(c) This section does not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.

(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(1) if the defendant:

(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and

(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

Added by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296, Sec. 221, eff. January 1, 2012.

Last edited by Got uid0; 10-05-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:16 PM
DoTheyMakeOtherCars?
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I live in Tx and both were in my car. I will not put the higher up one on my car but will use the Corvette one.

Quick Reply: Anyone brave enough to post front license plates holders?