C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Corvette Rear Bumper w/Round taillights - Our first shot, are we on right track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:16 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cdsymphony

Put this diffuser on it.

That diffuser is nice looks better than the factory set up IMO....
Old 12-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by CREST
Dont like it. It's as stupid as taking one step forward and two steps backward. Those lights are outdated for crying out loud. Try a new project like wide body conversion kits and stop wasting our time with round tail lights
Just calm down. Its lime a TV channel. If you don't like what's on, turn to another channel rather than get all bent out of shape. BTW, its obvious that some folks still like the round tail lights.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:30 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default This one is down right cool I think, and I am not a round light fan.

Originally Posted by cdsymphony

While I am soooo not a fan of round tail lights and blank areas of smooth surfaces (read C5 & C6). this design blends the old style of round lights with the new look of fused surfaces with direct flow design changes. I like the way the lights merge with the rear surfaces to give it that pop-out bubble look that we never see on a car. And this design does not give it that jelly-bean look with so wide a vista of flat surfaces. I like the new lights much better than any round one, but on the other hand, this design does look good and scores on innovation. I like it.

I also agree, as everyone already noted many times, design is a very personal thing; it is art, and like all art, it is all in the eyes of the individual beholder. Thank God we do live in a world where everyone does not like the same design. Can you imagine a world in which all cars look the same, all buildings are the same, all yards and grounds are the same. OMG! I would rather be dead than live in that world. So bring on the different designs and God love every one of them. As nothing can be new or different if it is all kept the same.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by NickHall
I think this would so not sell in the Corvette world. Looks a bit like a cross between a 911 and a Z2 and a MX-5. But the cool thing about cars is there is an opinion of what looks good for each and every human being on earth. So it is all good. The more different each person's is for them the better for everyone I think.
You don't belong on this forum. Your post is polite and sensible. The basic form of the C7 is very nice, but the detailing looks very amateurish.

It doesn't need much to give it a quality look instead of a kit car look.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 AM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Default ahhhhh, okay. You must need a hug also.

Originally Posted by Shaka
You don't belong on this forum.
Ahhhhh. Nice, very nice.
My best to you as well.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

A lot of people do not like change. Any change. psychographic research indicates that about 20% - 30% of US adults do not like change; any change. I had a hunting buddy who only wanted to hunt where he had hunted in the past, even when there was no deer in that area. I had a wife that did not want to up-date any room in the house because she was "comfortable" with the older stuff. I have an office worker friend who insists his kids go to the same university he went to so that their father can feel comfortable. I have a family friend that only want to go to the same restaurant, over and over and over, and no where else when they go out to eat.

For many people there is adversity to change that is deeply embedded in their genetic makeup. So for these people, it is good to have a round light option for a Vette because it plays to their need for consistency. The comfort of the same is a powerful trait.

But there is also the thirst for innovation and improvement that rests in the make up of many others (and even the same-thing people as well). For them round tail lights is a sign of stagnation and non-improvement from which they want to get away. Round lights for them is a reason to "NOT" buy the car because it is old technology that dates to the 1920 early car ideas and the first assembly lines. To others it is the comfort of the known.

It is like, for some, a Henry rifle fitted with a carbon fiber stock; would never be in their collection of hunting rifles. While others would look at is as much needed innovation and praise Henry for finally waking up to the real world and doing it.

At the end of the day it is all about personal choice and genetic needs. Which to me is where the value lies. I love innovation. Thus I love the new C7 and why I was among the very first to pay cash for this car before orders were even being taken by GM. It is also why one of the first things I did was ship it to Lingenfelter. I love love love it. But put me in a car show with an old round light style C7 and I will take pictures of it and love to see it.

Thus, to each his/her own, and be so very happy that we have a biological system and decision system that values freedom of choice.

Got to go to work. Yikes.... I better get going.

Thank you for taking the time to post an intelligent, on topic, analysis.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

I think this would so not sell in the Corvette world. Looks a bit like a cross between a 911 and a Z2 and a MX-5. But the cool thing about cars is there is an opinion of what looks good for each and every human being on earth. So it is all good. The more different each person's is for them the better for everyone I think.
Nice thoughts, Nick. Tests with babies of all races revealed that no matter the race, the babies would be drawn toward Nordic type facial structures and coloring. I think Ursula Andres is the most beautiful woman who has ever existed and Brigitte Bardot, the most sexy. Grace Kelly is beautiful with a perfect form but lacks sex appeal.
Our attraction toward form is instinctual amongst all creatures. God's programming differs from species to species and individually amongst humans. There are many pretty faces despite infinite ways in which the features can be arranged. 4 headlights on cars remain disturbing to me to this day because they violate a major feature of binocular creatures.
There are designs that remain beautiful and constant. The shark is the most beautiful creature that exists at 300 million years old, Mitchell saw fit to create the Stingray Corvette with this ancient design.. Swallows, eagles, etc are honed by the requirements of adaption to their element. A P51 for example, simply can't be improved upon in looks but if it flew 200 mph faster, it's shape would have to change. The E Type is to my mind the most beautiful car but that form caused the car to be unstable at speed.
The most wonderful thing about a Corvette is that it is based on God's shark design since the 59 Stingray. Corvette should never depart from this theme. Aerodynamics and regulation drastically influences the shape and this is the challenge to designers.
I think the C2 C3 and C6 will live longer than the C7. The back of the car violates many laws, not only of form but of function. Some details look cheap and could easily be addressed.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
Maybe when the C7 owners recognize that their car is a modern retro of a '65 Rambler Marlin rather than a '65 Corvette, you'll get some converts.

I'm not passing judgement here nor saying the modern look is good, bad, or indifferent... (that would be bashing), only that it looks more like the '65-'67 Marlin than the '65-'67 Corvette. But you can judge for yourself.

WOW, You nailed it. I can't tell the the difference between the vette to the marlin. Hope AMC does'nt go back in business and start producing the marlin again. It might mean the end of the Corvette...
Old 12-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

You know, as time goes by my issues with the C7 have moderated somewhat. Now that I've had a chance to see it in various paint and wheel combinations I've found that there are a number of combinations that are quite appealing.

When the C6 came out I liked it a lot and when I saw the Grand Sport I knew immediately that I had to have one. When the C7 came out I was really really angry! This was not what I was hoping to see. So just a little difference in my reactions. A friend of mine, who has a '65 Mustang, had a similar negative reaction to the 2015 Mustang, maybe if you love a particular shape you really have a tough time when the stylists decide to "improve" it.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shaka
Nice thoughts, Nick. I think Ursula Andres is the most beautiful woman who has ever existed and Brigitte Bardot, the most sexy. Grace Kelly is beautiful with a perfect form but lacks sex appeal.
Thanks to the last few well thought out and well articulated responses. It is so nice to see these on Corvette Forum. I agree in concept, and strong support these thoughts. They are right dead on target and hold real thinking and thus value.
Yet, as a individual, I must disagree with the idea of the most beautiful gal or the most sexy because I have different tastes in ladies. Thank God we men and the ladies of the world also all have different tastes in men. Otherwise I would never be able to find a new wife; and I am soooo looking (mine died of cancer). To me, a slim blonde with curves is God's greatest gift. (Yes, I know; I will hear about this one for sure.) Sorry to anyone offended. But the Vette styles in these diagrams and pictures are just plain drop dead beautiful. I so wish I could put my thoughts into drawings and lumps of clay. And the P51? Well... Breath-taking. And yes, a performance limiting design, but beautiful and matched to the performance of the engine. the Zero finally met its match if I recall. And, I seem to recall the British put a supercharge on one very much like it and up-graded the Spitfire, and downed a great many German fighters. My father patched these P51s up when the pilots brought them back with holes in them.

Thanks for the wonderful Xmas reading on Corvette Forum. Well done my friend(s). Oh, and the most beautiful gal in the world... hmmmm.... I vote for the Morgan Fairchild type of look (thin with great curves). But then I have a weakness for blondes. The very best looking one I married many years ago, but cancer found its way into her life and now it is time to go find another... I think. Easier said than done I am finding.

Nick
Old 12-24-2014, 01:25 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
A friend of mine, who has a '65 Mustang, had a similar negative reaction to the 2015 Mustang, maybe if you love a particular shape you really have a tough time when the stylists decide to "improve" it.
So true, same reaction when the spit window went the way of the gooney bird. The new "shark" did not appeal to me at all. But then came the 1988 Anniversary white on white on white and I had to have one, but tossed out the EPA restricted engine and put in a Lingenfelter. That was a great car. When the Mustang came out it looked to me like they took the old one and put a pressure hose in it and blew it up to the point just before it would explode. But I so dislike the jelly bean look. So the Mustang... to me... still looks like a 65 that has been stuck with a pressure hose, and 660 HP that cannot be effectively used and has heat problems is not my idea of innovation. So to me the C7 scored a great hit. I saw the early mules, I saw the early spec sheets, and went out and put my $65K in the hands of the dealer and said, this is what I want. Then, it went to Lingenfelter's in Decatur IN and they put a great engine in it. Not that the C7 was underpowered or whatever, I just wanted it to perform like my 1988 Lingenfelter. Now that it is back in the garage in Wisconsin, I find spring is coming too slow.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I can't believe this thread has continued this long. I like my C7 just the way it is, taillights and all.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 12-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RPI Designs
Hello!

We are working on a new C7 rear bumper with the round lights like so many of you have asked about. I've attached a few pictures to see if you think we are on the right track? I won't be able to get pictures of if on our C7 until mid next week, but want your feedback.

If you don't like the round taillight look, I understand, but this is for feedback from owners looking to change to the round lights, to see if you like what we are doing and what changes might need to be made?

Thanks you!

Very "yesterday" time to move on.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by pjitty
WOW, You nailed it. I can't tell the the difference between the vette to the marlin. Hope AMC does'nt go back in business and start producing the marlin again. It might mean the end of the Corvette...

Which one is the Marlin? I can't tell.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:51 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Marlin vs C7: an exact match

Originally Posted by pjitty
WOW, You nailed it. I can't tell the the difference between the vette to the marlin. .
Yes. Almost identical. Check it out...

Marlin engine 287 exactly like the C7
Weight almost 2 tons, about what the C7 weighs
Performance 12 second to 60, almost identical to the C7
Unstable at speed on corners, same with the C7
Steel body Marlin, again identical in every way.
Bench rear seats, semi bucket fronts, same as the C7
Drum breaks, just like on the C7
etc.

Yep, identical in every way.
You nailed it. Oh, maybe not..... check it out below....

....snip from Marlin website....

"The Marlin’s story begins with the Bob Nixon-designed Tarpon (Marlin concept) show car that AMC unveiled at the Society of Automotive Engineers convention in January 1964 in Detroit. A sporty fastback design atop the Rambler American concocted to appeal to the youth market of the time, it generated a good amount of enthusiasm for the ho-hum conservative automaker that primarily concerned itself with building staid economy-oriented family sedans. "

[but after the Marlin was built, and Bob Nixon no longer had to report to AMC.... Bob Nixon had a different thought on "his" creation.]

....snip...
..." Bob Nixon (who after AMC's buyout in 1987 became Jeep's design chief at Chrysler) dismissed the previous Marlin project as an "ugly embarrassment" and said that the assignment to create a sporty fastback on the Classic platform was "like trying to build a Corvette on a Buick sedan body. It just doesn't work."

So, there you have it. The designer of the Marlin said it just doesn't work. End of story don't you think?

C7 is almost identical to the Marlin, except in every single way possible.

So funny. I love this forum, so filled with so many great jokes.

Nick
Old 12-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow, 41 pages of comments! Good or bad, obviously this issue is far from over. Each to their own of course but I think it's great the option will exist for those that want it.

My first thought goes back to stories of '63 split window couple and their owners that removed the body split and installed a '64 rear window so their '63 would look "modern." And now there are mods to make new Vettes look retro.

Second thought. Rather than replacing the whole bumper, seems like there should be a way to mold new tail light plastic insets with round tail lights. An added plus would be the vents wouldn't need to be worked into the bumper.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rave
Wow, 41 pages of comments! Good or bad, obviously this issue is far from over. Each to their own of course but I think it's great the option will exist for those that want it.

My first thought goes back to stories of '63 split window couple and their owners that removed the body split and installed a '64 rear window so their '63 would look "modern." And now there are mods to make new Vettes look retro.

Second thought. Rather than replacing the whole bumper, seems like there should be a way to mold new tail light plastic insets with round tail lights. An added plus would be the vents wouldn't need to be worked into the bumper.
It's the shape of the rear lights that are wrong. Not all Vettes have had round lights. The C7 lights don't flow with the rest of the architecture. 4 eyes has never worked for me and Ferrari designers have gone back to two. If you have to have them, please let the shape conform. Get rid of that sharp edge all around the rear bumper. Integrate the spoiler like in the 68 Stingray. Even Lamborghinis are getting away from the F117 look. Stick with the Shark.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette Rear Bumper w/Round taillights - Our first shot, are we on right track?

Old 12-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Too many pages. Was this bumper ever put on a C7? I'd like to see it.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:15 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Old 12-25-2014, 02:18 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R

Which one is the Marlin? I can't tell.

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette Rear Bumper w/Round taillights - Our first shot, are we on right track?