Sponsored by:

Exhaust Note

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 03:10 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Exhaust Note

I do like the stock NPP system under Track mode as far as the exhaust note that my '17 GS gives off.

I also heard an old Ferrari F430 which is a 4.3L V8, and the exhaust note is much more "exotic sound" but it just seems like the timing is a lot closer on firing. As best as I can explain it, the vette has a warble woo woo woo while the more exotic sound of a consistent "wrrrrrrrrrr" (I know this looks stupid on paper lmao)

Is it due to the Ferrari having a flat plane versus the Vette's cross plane crank?

If so, is there any way to get my LT1 to get this sound? And not a cam, I understand that sound and don't particularly like it.. was thinking a new exhaust and a tune to adjust the timing? I am sure someone else has been interested in this so jw what everyone thinks.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:21 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

There are a lot of factors in the sound of exhaust. I believe a Ferrari is an overhead cam engine which typically makes exhaust sound very different. Another factor can be firing order. I had a 2000 Mustang that had a great sounding exhaust. I have read it is due to firing order. Fords fire in a circular fashion, GMs typically fire cross engine, opposing.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:43 PM
futuregopher
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BullittEV
I do like the stock NPP system under Track mode as far as the exhaust note that my '17 GS gives off.

I also heard an old Ferrari F430 which is a 4.3L V8, and the exhaust note is much more "exotic sound" but it just seems like the timing is a lot closer on firing. As best as I can explain it, the vette has a warble woo woo woo while the more exotic sound of a consistent "wrrrrrrrrrr" (I know this looks stupid on paper lmao)

Is it due to the Ferrari having a flat plane versus the Vette's cross plane crank?

If so, is there any way to get my LT1 to get this sound? And not a cam, I understand that sound and don't particularly like it.. was thinking a new exhaust and a tune to adjust the timing? I am sure someone else has been interested in this so jw what everyone thinks.
The ferrari V8 and C7 V8 sound different because of the flat plane vs cross plane like you mentioned and the firing order of the cylinders.

You CAN get the GS V8 to sound like a ferrari V8 by modifying the headers. But I'm pretty sure this would void the warranty. Below is Engineering explained explaining the difference. And check out bladed angel's Z06 which has that high pitch exotic ferrari sound w modified headers.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:44 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Nothing sounds like a Ferrari, except a Ferrari, no use trying to get a C7 to sound like one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
NorthernProducer (08-22-2019), tnfan (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 09:32 PM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by futuregopher
The ferrari V8 and C7 V8 sound different because of the flat plane vs cross plane like you mentioned and the firing order of the cylinders.

You CAN get the GS V8 to sound like a ferrari V8 by modifying the headers. But I'm pretty sure this would void the warranty. Below is Engineering explained explaining the difference. And check out bladed angel's Z06 which has that high pitch exotic ferrari sound w modified headers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s5bSQIQQsY&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNpUFpxa04U
Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Nothing sounds like a Ferrari, except a Ferrari, no use trying to get a C7 to sound like one.
Appreciate the replies/videos.

Kevin, totally understand- I was just meaning to get the higher pitched sound that exotics are known for.. maybe not exactly, but close.

Just sounds like a faster timed firing order.. the Ford sound is actually opposite of what I wanted- that is a much lower throaty sound that, while sounds great, gives the opposite sound I was looking into.

Sounds like an exhaust, tune and headers may do the job (or as close to an exotic-ish idle as possible)

Last edited by BullittEV; 08-21-2019 at 09:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (08-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Note

Quick Reply: Exhaust Note