C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This isn't good news...(Z51 Constraint issues)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:56 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I am not a conspiracy theorist but it seems weird that over the last few days we haven't heard from GM'er or any of the large dealers on this issue. We were getting frequent updates or, at a minimum, comments but now nothing. I wonder if it is because the news is really bad. GM'er recently said that the constraint would ease and GM would be able to meet 50% of the Z51 demand by around the end of the month. Then it went to November 24th and then relative silence.

Or, it is just coincidence I'd love to hear Rick, Ken or GM'ers take on this.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 AM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's more than a bit depressing.....
Old 10-15-2013, 01:00 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadC5
Who did you order your car from? When did you order it?
Fichtner, a couple of months ago.

In all honesty, I was thinking about cancelling the Z51 option anyway - I really don't need the track stuff.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 AM
BadC5
Pro

Originally Posted by HummelS

In all honesty, I was thinking about cancelling the Z51 option anyway - I really don't need the track stuff.
Thanks! I wasn't sure if you ordered one locally. I ordered a Z51 car, but if it takes that long I will just wait a little longer for the z06.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

Screw it - I don't really need Z51, so I cancelled it. My delivery date moved from March of next year to this November. Not to mention the price difference.

I did the same thing... will be driving around in November instead of maybe March.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:28 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Originally Posted by Br0
Any truth here from the know...?

Ordered mine (Z51) end of September...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/10/...-year-sources/

Where's our CF vendors on the subject and their wealth of inside knowledge....am I hearing crickets? I think so.

All good when they are selling, but not so hot on keeping a finger on the pulse and their constituency informed. Thanks guys. Chime in anytime.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I'd love to hear Rick, Ken or GM'ers take on this.
I'd like to hear directly from the BG Plant Mgr. Dave Tatman, and other key middle-upper management folks on all the pertinent issues in regards to supplier delays, etc... at least some transparency so we can stop wondering and then the dealers & media stories can be more accurate and factual.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:38 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray
I'd like to hear directly from the BG Plant Mgr. Dave Tatman, and other key middle-upper management folks on all the pertinent issues in regards to supplier delays, etc... at least some transparency so we can stop wondering and then the dealers & media stories can be more accurate and factual.
Have they ever come on here to report on previous version??? Seems like they are too proud to admit delays or major supplier issues. Being more transparent is a good thing nowadays with social media and word spreading alot faster then back in the stone age of the way gm's communication channels still seem to be stuck in.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Have they ever come on here to report on previous version??? Seems like they are too proud to admit delays or major supplier issues. Being more transparent is a good thing nowadays with social media and word spreading alot faster then back in the stone age of the way gm's communication channels still seem to be stuck in.
Indeed. This is a brave new world and transparency is not only what it asks for, it is what it demands.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:53 AM
VRMMMM
Pro

I can wait.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:28 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Same here. Had already considered dropping the Z51, since the car is for my wife. After hearing Ken's take on probable waits for a Z51 vert, I did the order change. should be a Museum Delivery in Dec or early Jan, at worst.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:52 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
GM needs to find additional parts suppliers for the constrained items, or they risk losing sales.
And, said demand could really tempt GM to raise the price on the Z51 package...
They had YEARS to prepare for this car and the parts.. Why didn't they put someone in control of making sure suppliers could provide what they are required?

Originally Posted by Glen e
i think its a lot worse than they are letting on...just my opin...
Its always worse. Companies try to put the best spin on things just like politicians.

Originally Posted by mnavarro
This is all GM's fault. They only demonstrate z51...all the writers talk about how well dampened it's ride is, and they make it very inexpensive. And so everybody gets it as the must have option, duh. They should at least offer MR shocks on the non-z51 and that would ease at least some of the constraint.
Your correct, They kept promoting the Z51 at the car shows and everywhere. And now after people buy it there are issues?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:52 AM
Delta88
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My dealer called me last night told it's my last
Chance to make l
Old 10-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

I love the way you guys have somehow gotten yourselves all whipped into a frenzy and started canceling/changing orders based on an UNSUBSTANTIATED theory posted by someone who has no inside knowledge and is presenting assumptions as if they are fact. Get a grip, folks. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate you abandoning your preferred Z51 package because it will reduce my wait time. I just think it is silly how rumor gets embellished with assumptions that turn into "fact" on this forum within a single thread. It is just like watching a every time.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:36 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

There should be a poll on who cancelled their Z51...
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Screw it - I don't really need Z51, so I cancelled it. My delivery date moved from March of next year to this November. Not to mention the price difference.
I only wanted the Z51 in order to get the magnetic ride. Now it appears I will enjoy my car months earlier without those options.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray Sam
I love the way you guys have somehow gotten yourselves all whipped into a frenzy and started canceling/changing orders based on an UNSUBSTANTIATED theory posted by someone who has no inside knowledge and is presenting assumptions as if they are fact. Get a grip, folks. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate you abandoning your preferred Z51 package because it will reduce my wait time. I just think it is silly how rumor gets embellished with assumptions that turn into "fact" on this forum within a single thread. It is just like watching a every time.

I agree.

It's really quite simple, if they cap the entire year's Z51 production to what's either already delivered or in the pipeline then the 2014 launch is a massive failure IMHO. Chevy builds cars people want and with JIT manufacturing they just need about 45 days to re-jigger supplier deliveries to meet the pipeline which is what I suspect they are doing.

For Christ sake, it's October 2013, the car has been in production all of 8 weeks and they have only built 1/4 of the cars they plan and someone prints you may have to wait till the 2015 model year for a Z51!

Do the math, if they were figuring a 35% take rate over the course of the year that's still 12,250 Z51's. At the time this article was written then had barely produced 3000 cars and had booked orders for maybe another 3000. That means 6000 cars with a 75% take rate = 4500 cars. Had their initial prediction been accurate they only expected to build 2100 so it's not surprising that by the time they hit VIN 3000 all the parts were used up.

Another thing, look around at published constrained posted by dealers. Each one has the constraint and the estimated duration. Z51 was listed as <4 weeks, that was on last week's report.

Expect Z51's to start popping back up on allocation by Nov 1st but there will probably only be a limited number, perhaps 25% of the total week's allocation. 2015 model year, yeah right......... That's right up there with my dealer telling me GM had 35000 C7's in the order books already.......

Get notified of new replies

To This isn't good news...(Z51 Constraint issues)

Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Bandit's Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the email I have spoke about in other posts from GM on my Z51 vert. I will contact my dealership as well to see what type story I get from them.

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet regarding your 2014 Corvette Stingray order. We apologize for the delay in our response. We have received a large number of inquiries since last week’s shipment announcement. We are working as hard as we can to provide the latest updates.

As of October 09, 2013, the status of Order Number RHHRNM is the following:

Order has been placed by your dealership and accepted by Chevrolet and is now in line for production. This process can take time, is subject to change, and does not mean that the vehicle is physically being built at this time. The next step in the process will be the assignment of a Target Production Week (TPW). However, at this time a TPW is not available for this order.

At this time, the Corvette Stingray convertible are scheduled to arrive in dealerships late 4th quarter of 2013 to early 1st quarter of 2014. We recommend keeping in contact with your selling dealership for updates as to when your vehicle will be delivered. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We appreciate your patience and recognize the high amount of anticipation for the 2014 Corvette Stingray.

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

The Chevrolet Marketing Team
http://www.chevrolet.com

You have received this email advertising GM products and services in response to your recent request for vehicle information. To opt out of receiving future email messages from General Motors please visit http://www.gmcontactpreferences.com/.

General Motors Corporation, 100 Renaissance Center, 482-MAR-100, Detroit, MI 48265
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsocb
I have a simple solution GM can implement to cut Z51 demand:

Don't offer Z51 on the convertible. Most HPDE and track events won't allow soft tops without a roll bar anyway.

I don't know how that fixes the problem. What's the difference if you tell a Convertible or a Coupe buyer he can't get what he wants? You lose a sale either way.

Last edited by jschindler; 10-15-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

I didn't "need" a Z51 but I ordered it for two principal reasons--the wheels are much better looking than the standard wheels IMO and the Magnetic Ride Control is not offered on the standard model. I had MSRC on my C6 and didn't want to go backwards technologically.

Assuming that these two items are not the reasons for the Z51 constraints, GM could make the standard model more attractive if they offered one or both of these as separate options on the non-Z51 coupe.

Quick Reply: This isn't good news...(Z51 Constraint issues)