Sponsored by:

Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:31 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
FIGURED IT OUT! Got my contacts to sync.

OK, it's dumb, but it worked. To get the initial sync to work, you need to turn off your WiFi and mobile data. Then pair the phone and *BAM!* The prompt comes up asking to sync the contacts. Double checked and all 815 contacts were in the MyLink screen.

Turned my mobile and WiFi back on and it was all working correctly. iPhone purchase averted!
Glad it's working. Iphone and android will work with Mylink. If anyone is having a problem, it's the phone and not the OS. Either are fine.

Apple is just much easier to use, and integrates with most everything seamlessly. Microsoft is more widely used only because it's been around much longer. Apple has found a system that smooths out all of the Microsoft problems.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by r1owner
Cool. Glad you got it working. What's the advantage to having all the contacts in Mylink versus just using voice commands to the phone via bluetooth?
The voice commands to dial by name doesn't work without syncing your contacts. Chevy has gone the way of supporting iPhone native software and ignoring Android native software. I think that's going to bite them in the *** down the line. What that basically means is that the car will be able to interact with the iOS stuff and get/give information while not able to do that with Android specific software.

The thing is that >55% of smart phones are powered by Android and Corvettes aren't the only cars that run MyLink. While Apple may have the "higher end" image, MyLink is still put in pretty much every single GM car, including the economy cars.

This was a poor decision on GM's part. As I read more news, I'm seeing a growing trend that GM is ignoring Android functionality all-together. This actually WILL stop me from buying future GM cars. Ford builds great cars too, and their "Sync" system works extremely well with Android.

Originally Posted by speedlink
Glad it's working. Iphone and android will work with Mylink. If anyone is having a problem, it's the phone and not the OS. Either are fine.

Apple is just much easier to use, and integrates with most everything seamlessly. Microsoft is more widely used only because it's been around much longer. Apple has found a system that smooths out all of the Microsoft problems.
I have no argument about iPhones being easier to use. Of course, they get more complicated with each iOS iteration because they're pulling in all the features of Android and Windows Phone piece by piece, but for now, they're still a 1 button system.

But being easier to use doesn't fix the major issues I've seen with them. In fact, ironic as this is, I was in my friend's 2013 Camaro that has MyLink, and one of my co-workers hooked his iPhone up to use Pandora and it wouldn't play the audio unless we called his phone first. It was having audio routing troubles.

Neither phone OS is without its fair share of issues. If iOS was so fantastic and trouble-free, there'd be NO argument that iOS is better from me. People get wrapped up in marketing and think the slogan "it just works" is infallible. Totally not true, and proven many times over.

My reason for not wanting to purchase Apple products has nothing to do with their image, usability or stability... (which, of the three, only usability seems to live up to the hype, and only to an certain extent.) It's because I don't like the company or its politics.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:26 AM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's weird. My Cobalt has bluetooth from the factory and voice commands work just fine to dial someone on my HTC one. It just passes the command thru to the voice commands on the phone.

We just ordered a 2014 Explorer, so I'm interested to see how Sync works with the phones.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

That's weird. My Cobalt has bluetooth from the factory and voice commands work just fine to dial someone on my HTC one. It just passes the command thru to the voice commands on the phone.

We just ordered a 2014 Explorer, so I'm interested to see how Sync works with the phones.
Yep. Definitely not the case here for me. This is why I even put so much effort into getting my contacts synced.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RickMN
Anybody use a Nokia Windows Phone with their Mylink?

(I work for Microsoft, but we love feedback, so don't be afraid to say what you really think about our products and market share).

Following up on this old thread. My Nokia Lumia Windows Phone works great with all the Bluetooth features in my C7.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
BIg Wash AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default answer the phone

Sync'd with our Galaxy S4's pronto fast.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:46 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Iphone5, and it is nice how fast it integrates however, their are iPhone limitations. For example, I'm not able to use the Pandora App and general album art in my C7 unless I'm connected via USB cable; however, if you are using a Galaxy type phone, it works perfectly over Bluetooth.

I hope through future updates on the iOS devices or GM MyLink allows everything to work via Bluetooth in the future.

Another thing, on the aritical shared below, it doesnt state the corvette gets SIRI support... Will this be addressed with a MyLink Update in the future? or will we never get the SIRI features?

http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...4-siri.gm.html
Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIg Wash AZ
So we need to figure out what 'most popular' means? Does it mean people will stand in line to buy it? Then yes it is. Does it mean it gets tons of press? Then yes it is. Does it mean the iPhone is the number one seller? Then no it isn't. Samsung sells more phones. Not only more, way more. Add other Android phones and the iPhone number is a mini me.
The problem with this analysis is, if you're GM, you have to pick a specific phone/OS version to integrate with - that's a tower of babble in the Android world and with Apple 95% of users use one of 3 phones on one of 2 OS releases.....

Iphone 5s is the most popular phone in the US....
Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
I have a Iphone5, and it is nice how fast it integrates however, their are iPhone limitations. For example, I'm not able to use the Pandora App and general album art in my C7 unless I'm connected via USB cable; however, if you are using a Galaxy type phone, it works perfectly over Bluetooth.

I hope through future updates on the iOS devices or GM MyLink allows everything to work via Bluetooth in the future.

Another thing, on the aritical shared below, it doesnt state the corvette gets SIRI support... Will this be addressed with a MyLink Update in the future? or will we never get the SIRI features?

http://www.gm.com/content/gmcom/home...4-siri.gm.html
I asked this question on a threat yesterday with no responses, perhaps someone here will know.

If I plug my iPhone into the usb behind the screen, how does the car interact with the phone - USB, bluetooth, both?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM
r1owner
Racer

Originally Posted by onthebottom
The problem with this analysis is, if you're GM, you have to pick a specific phone/OS version to integrate with - that's a tower of babble in the Android world and with Apple 95% of users use one of 3 phones on one of 2 OS releases.....

No you don't... there are industry standards for communication via BT protocols. That's the whole point. Why should GM be forced to code for any specific hardware?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
My Motorola Droid works fine.
Mine does too.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 PM
chevy corvette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
OK, so I've made lots of cracks about Apple products, but honestly, maybe I was wrong and GM flat out doesn't care about anything but 30% of the market.

I have one of the best phones on the market (The HTC One) and it seems that it's somewhat incompatible with MyLink, even though it's a Bluetooth 4.0 device and seems compatible with everything else in the world.

While I'm able to stream music and make calls, I cannot sync my contacts. Doesn't matter what I do, MyLink doesn't recognize my phone's contacts at all. I looked through the OnStar app as well, and there's no way to do it from there either.

Please tell me there's a software update or something for my new $70K+ car that will allow me the simple function of knowing who's calling me or being able to call someone hands free.
I have a C7 and a Iphone 5 and it works flawlessly downloaded phone book in a flash. Sure beats putting them in one at a time and limited to 30 like my C6 was.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 PM
MisterMe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

No you don't... there are industry standards for communication via BT protocols. That's the whole point. Why should GM be forced to code for any specific hardware?
I don't think that anyone disagrees with you. This is why Apple goes to great lengths to ensure that these protocols work transparently as written. This is why you don't need OS X drivers for computer peripherals that fully implement their standards protocols.

In the case of the iPhone and other iOS devices, every peripheral manufacturer has a known set of hardware and software protocols that it must support. If that same peripheral manufacturer wants to support Android, then it must deal with an array of hardware from various and sundry manufacturers powered by various versions of an OS from a third party--Google--that does not control the hardware. Therefore, there is no certainty that a peripheral or software that works with one Android device will work with another Android device.

The KISS Principle of Engineering dictates that your peripheral works with iOS and then worry about Android and Windows.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

iPhone 5 may be the most popular piece of hardware, but iOS is far behind in popularity over Android. In fact, Android carries well over 50% of the phone market at the moment. And with premium phones like the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One gaining lots of traction, the iOS isn't going to get any more popular with anything note worthy.

Originally Posted by chevy corvette
I have a C7 and a Iphone 5 and it works flawlessly downloaded phone book in a flash. Sure beats putting them in one at a time and limited to 30 like my C6 was.
Yeah, mine works flawlessly now too. HTC put out an update not too long after I got my car that fixed every compatibility issue I had with my phone/car pairing. Even my contacts pictures come up in the DIC when they call (or I call them).

Originally Posted by MisterMe
I don't think that anyone disagrees with you. This is why Apple goes to great lengths to ensure that these protocols work transparently as written. This is why you don't need OS X drivers for computer peripherals that fully implement their standards protocols.

In the case of the iPhone and other iOS devices, every peripheral manufacturer has a known set of hardware and software protocols that it must support. If that same peripheral manufacturer wants to support Android, then it must deal with an array of hardware from various and sundry manufacturers powered by various versions of an OS from a third party--Google--that does not control the hardware. Therefore, there is no certainty that a peripheral or software that works with one Android device will work with another Android device.

The KISS Principle of Engineering dictates that your peripheral works with iOS and then worry about Android and Windows.
I don't think you understand the marriage between hardware and software. In the old days, your software had to be compatible with your hardware and everything was very specific. These days, that's simply not the case. The OS acts as a wrapper interface for the hardware. Meaning, if your OS keeps to standards, then interfacing should be seamless.

Also, I should note that iOS is anything but standards friendly. Apple has gone out of their way to write their own standards for their devices, rather than sticking to the laid out standards accepted by all other phone manufacturers. Hence, Apple devices don't play well with anything DLNA and why you must plug an iPhone in via USB to get any real features out if it when you're mixing non-Apple products. Meanwhile, Microsoft and Google continue to support all the latest globally accepted standards.

So the reality is that manufacturers that are creating devices that rely on Bluetooth connectivity to smart devices should actually first make the device compatible with non-iOS devices and THEN worry about iOS...

This makes sense on a few levels because:
1) iOS is only 32% of the market.
2) iOS requires developers to write for a 2nd set of standards to support a single device.
3) The majority of cars produced will likely be driven by those that cannot afford expensive cars. Therefore, the code they write for this will be more useful in the short run for cars marketed (most often) to Android users. (Statistically, iPhone users are more likely to spend more money.)
Old 02-12-2014, 03:17 AM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

http://mashable.com/2014/01/06/google-audi-gm-android/

I remember reading this before. Not sure if relevant or not...
Old 02-12-2014, 03:47 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by RickMN
Anybody use a Nokia Windows Phone with their Mylink?

(I work for Microsoft, but we love feedback, so don't be afraid to say what you really think about our products and market share).
I have a Nokia 920. It works just fine.

If there is an issue it's probably "Operator Error", and I'm the only Operator of my Corvette.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:29 AM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette
I have a Nokia 920. It works just fine.

If there is an issue it's probably "Operator Error", and I'm the only Operator of my Corvette.
Yes, all the Bluetooth functionality in the C7 works perfect with my Nokia Windows Phone (see photo above). My original post asking about it was from before I purchased my C7 and I was wondering if there were any known problems. So far I have not heard of any.

The funny story about why I replied to this old thread was that I was reminded of my original question by seeing another Microsoft employee from the Phone team post a review of the C7 after a test drive. The posting was on an internal employee email list for Porsche owners. He said he just ordered a 2014 Corvette Coupe Z51 in Arctic White ...

Get notified of new replies

To Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I replaced my Motorola Droid with a Samsung Droid and they both work fine.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked this question on a threat yesterday with no responses, perhaps someone here will know.

If I plug my iPhone into the usb behind the screen, how does the car interact with the phone - USB, bluetooth, both?
IF you plug it in VIA USB, it's USB only
Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 AM
onthebottom
Pro

As you've seen by this thread that's not always the case - also, standards evolve, innovation happens and all combinations need to be tested.

Quick Reply: Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?