Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sick and tired of hearing about Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:55 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche has earned their reputation on the track.

The new C7 is getting a lot of interest over on Rennlist with a healthy amount of RESPECT !!!

GM is now bench marking 911's instead of Vipers indicating a change in marketing Corvettes.

Personally I prefer the Z06 which offers more bang for your buck at the track.

That said, the latest Car & Driver report on the new 911 GT3 certainly offers a challenge to GM's high performance C7 when it arrives.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't titling a thread "Sick and tired of hearing about Porsches" just inviting more talk about Porsches? Oxymoronic or simply moronic, not sure...
Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darkmercury
My old manager owned a couple Porsche's ... I could never like that car if I tried.
GMs goal is not for Corvette owners to like Porsches. They are trying to get Porsche owners to like Corvettes. That's why the comparisons.

Why the hate towards this concept?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Interesting thread. I don't hate Porsches, just never interested me. Bland looking, like a VW Beetle on steroid.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9
Do you know the difference between a Porsche owner and a porcupine ?

The ***** is inside.
You screwed up the punchline.

This thread is unflattering to Corvette owners.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Prosche's are like the progressive-left.... they are glorified by the media (as well as BMW.. or any german really) promise big things and fall short, cost way more than you might imagine and yet people still believe the hype hook-line-n-sinker everytime!

Its a bloody mystery honestly!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan12
GMs goal is not for Corvette owners to like Porsches. They are trying to get Porsche owners to like Corvettes. That's why the comparisons.

I actually love GM's approach to marketing the Corvette and Caddy's!
My response is generated from years of dealing with my old manager... it was a personal experience driven response.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:15 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Dan12

Or prove that you don't have to treat your customers like cattle with those over the top prices just to go fast around a track or in a straightline.

The comparisons are simple... look at what my car can do for HALF THE PRICE. Common sense would tell ya that most folks would love at the corvette (or any car really) and seriously give a thought but nope... common sense has been out the window since the early 1900's.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

I am just amazed at how childish some of the responses are on this forum regarding Porsches. Some folks put down Porsches with zero knowledge about the cars. Sure, it's absolutely okay to not like the car because of how it looks, but to form opinions without knowledge is very immature. I am on many car forums, including 2 Porsche forums, and almost everyone has good things to say about Vettes, especially the C7. When it comes to performance, reliability, and fit & finish, Porsche builds a wonderful car. Out of over 30 brands, Porsche was ranked # 1 this year by JD Power for customer satisfaction. Are they over priced? Absolutely! But so are many sports cars. If they could not sell them at those rediculous prices, the prices would drop. The C7 Vette is, in my opinion, underpriced. I currently owne a 2013 Porsche Boxster S and after one year and 16,000 miles, I have never had a problem and the car is one fabulous car to drive fast through the twisties. I have owned many different sports cars including Ferraris, a Viper (worst car that I ever owned) and 10 Corvettes, from a 92 C4 to a 2010 Grand Sport. I plan on ordering a 2015 C7 convertible, for I have seen the C7 and really love it. The bottom line is that there is the good and the bad with all sports cars, but how cool is it that there are people that can appreciate most cars for what they have to offer, enjoy what they drive, and not express so much hate towards what the other fellow drives.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
webfiero
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

It's easy to understand why there has always been, and will continue to be, strong advocates for these two makes. I'm lucky enough to have a foot in both camps. I have a '06 Porsche Cayman S (the Porsche with its engine in the right spot) and a '66 Stingray. I've owned my C2 for almost 30 years and will never let it go. It's an American car that gives me a chill every time I take it out. I'd love to have a new C7 based on the great reviews it's getting. Sure the new Porsches have a lot going for them except the lack of the Corvette's raw edge. When I'm driving my Vette I'll wave at other Vettes and at the odd Porsche. I almost always get a wave back from the other Vette drivers. The Porsche drivers, not so much. I can live with that since I'm not looking for their approval of anything.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by torquetube
You screwed up the punchline.

This thread is unflattering to Corvette owners.
I don't know if it's intentional, but he may have actually improved the joke by an order of magnitude.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:27 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by plumalan
I may be in the minority here, but I could care less about Porsche cars. As a young man I recall seeing one, and my thought was that it looked exactly like a VW Beetle that someone had stepped on and kinda flattened it out. To this day, it still does to me.

I for one am more concerned about the appearance of the car, and for me it has never even been close. Corvette has always won hands down.

I like performance, but I for one never utilize it on other that entrance ramps to interstates. I am not and have never been a racer.

I seriously doubt that I am in a small minority here. I've owned at least 10 corvettes dating back to the C2's.

I had to get that off my chest!!!! I feel better now!

I agree not my thing either but no doubt an awesome performing car just looks bad IMO
Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
Or prove that you don't have to treat your customers like cattle with those over the top prices just to go fast around a track or in a straightline.

The comparisons are simple... look at what my car can do for HALF THE PRICE. Common sense would tell ya that most folks would love at the corvette (or any car really) and seriously give a thought but nope... common sense has been out the window since the early 1900's.
Exactly, thats why we should love to hear more about how good the C7 is if not better when compared to other cars. The comparisons only help the C7 if it truly measures up and does it for less. This only improves the breed.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:34 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Corvette was, and will always be the King of Cool. Porsche not even on the radar for me. And, trust me, I can afford anything Porsche makes.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
Interesting thread. I don't hate Porsches, just never interested me. Bland looking, like a VW Beetle on steroid.
And sometimes they forget the steroids...

I STILL BELIEVE an older, smaller, simpler white 911 would make a perfect So Cal beach community runaround when, barefoot, you have no place to go and all day to get there
Old 10-18-2013, 01:40 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

There is zero question that Porsche has earned their reputation of being a tremendous track car and a great street player. They are the prime benchmark against which the Corvette is both designed and produced.

Let's try and class up and show some respect for a worthy competitor. If you are a West Point fan, do you get tired of hearing about Annapolis? Does anyone really remotely believe that the new C7 & Z07 would be anywhere near the accomplishments they are/will be if the 911's weren't constantly raising the bar?

I've owned three Porsches and three Corvettes. They have each cycled through respective ups and downs in terms of desirability. But at this juncture, for me, the Corvette has taken a huge leap and until Porsche gets the guts to retire the 911, the Corvette will likely remain on top.

Once the Z07 comes out, at probably somewhere between $95k & $110k, it is going to once and for all decimate the Porsche competition at $110 to $140k and the others like the R8, ranging upwards from $180,000.

After the Z07 debuts, the only parameter by which all these other cars will clearly excel is in the quality of some of their leather interiors.

Last edited by B747VET; 10-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by obzidian

I think there are two things involved:

In 1900 you proved to be money wise by spending wisely. Nowadays you prove it by showing that you have accumulated enough pesos to throw them out the window.

Also, TopGear summed it up very well. With the C7, the Corvette took 50 years to arrive to world class.

Get notified of new replies

To Sick and tired of hearing about Porsches

Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 PM
690 HP V
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by plumalan
I may be in the minority here, but I could care less about Porsche cars. As a young man I recall seeing one, and my thought was that it looked exactly like a VW Beetle that someone had stepped on and kinda flattened it out. To this day, it still does to me.

I for one am more concerned about the appearance of the car, and for me it has never even been close. Corvette has always won hands down.

I like performance, but I for one never utilize it on other that entrance ramps to interstates. I am not and have never been a racer.

I seriously doubt that I am in a small minority here. I've owned at least 10 corvettes dating back to the C2's.

I had to get that off my chest!!!! I feel better now!
So start a thread about it...
Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9
People are going to say I don't know how to drive a Porsche . Back in 1982 I owned a 911 SC and that thing took me into the weeds *** backwards just missing a tree. The early one's are a handful and no Vette ever did that to me. EVER !!!!
EXACTLY. The 911 is a bad design and no one else makes a rear engine sports car for that reason. The Porsche nuts continue to buy those silly things, so Porsche figures if they are crazy enough to keep buying, they'll keep jacking up the price for these suckers. Ugly looking car too( I had a 2003 996TT, so it's not that I'm envious. My brother's 1961 Porsche super 90 roadster had the same lousy characteristics as my 996TT, only it didn't have any nannys to save you like my 996TT, & my brother did the same thing as you did, only he didn't miss the tree ( fortunately he didn't get hurt, but wrecked the car). 911's are waaay over priced accidents looking to happen if one gets agressive and don't know what they are doing( 99 percent of most amateur drivers).
Old 10-18-2013, 01:57 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

http://porsche356registry.org/

Quick Reply: Sick and tired of hearing about Porsches