Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will a C8 bring vrs a C7!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

6 months ago is the latest? You wouldn't do that on purpose would you?

Originally Posted by C7 101 car
Here's the latest....................
Sources at GM have confirmed that there C7's lifespan will only last two to four model years, the outgoing corvette has spanned over eight. So what's the reasoning behind this?
A Chevy insider who worked on the C7's development stated,"We messed up, the C7 simply fails to meet GM's upcoming fuel efficiency standards so all we can do now is come up with some sort of final edition while we simultaneously fast-track the C8's development." This same source at Chevy confirms the car will officially drop the small-block V8 in favor of a new twin-turbo V6. A plug-in extended-range hybrid version is also a possibility. Expect to see the debut of the new C8 as early as next years Detroit Auto Show...

No Turbo or plug-in extended-range hybrid for me.
I guess I will keep my C7

Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 PM
C7 101 car
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcallen484
6 months ago is the latest? You wouldn't do that on purpose would you?
NO, I just read it today. BUT THIS IS WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT for the C8

Old 10-19-2013, 06:31 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 101 car
NO, I just read it today. BUT THIS IS WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT for the C8

In the mid '70s, after the first gas crisis, it appeared hopeless, so who knows? Cold fusion might have some sort of stunning breakthrough. Huge torque, yet compact, electric motors might evolve. Some yet unknown to the general public motive power might emerge. The only thing constant is change.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Buhma
What bashing? The truth hurts? I say again, NO ONE CARES about the C6.

And why are you following me here?
You really are full of yourself, aren't you.

We can't ignore you since you post the same opinion (nobody likes the C6) several times a day. It is your right to post an opinion, of course, but you have yet to back up that statement with survey results from a credible source.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Given where the CAFE regs will be at that point, if there is a vette at all, I won't be surprised if it's smaller, mid-engine, V6 with hybrid electric drive.

We are living the final days of any "traditional" front engine, V8, non hybrid drive Corvette.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Given where the CAFE regs will be at that point, if there is a vette at all, I won't be surprised if it's smaller, mid-engine, V6 with hybrid electric drive. .....
Remember, CAFE applies to CORPORATE results. The few Corvettes sold don't impact GM's CAFE to any measurable degree at all. This has been beaten to death about 18 months ago.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Remember, CAFE applies to CORPORATE results. The few Corvettes sold don't impact GM's CAFE to any measurable degree at all. This has been beaten to death about 18 months ago.

I know they apply to corp results. I also know AFM exists on the 7 b/c of them, which indicates the vette is not immune and will not exist in a vacuum untouched by them.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I know they apply to corp results. I also know AFM exists on the 7 b/c of them, which indicates the vette is not immune and will not exist in a vacuum untouched by them.
Oh, agree it won't stay in a vacuum amigo. But look at the improved results with the C7 compared to the C6. GM can't ignore the Corvette, nor are they. However when I ran my spreadsheet on 7/2/12, the Corvette impacted GM's results by .1 MPG.

As long as GM continues to build so many more fuel efficient models across all makes, and continues to enhance the results of the iconic front engined V8 Corvette, I have my doubts that they will mess with success.

A V6 is very doubtful, IMHO, as is a hybrid. Possible, but doubtful. And since a mid-engine layout does not add anything to fuel economy, I doubt that we'll ever see that layout. All that would do is add to cost, generally reduce over-the-road utility (no 22 cu, ft. cargo room as in current C6, and a bit less in the C7), etc.

I guess we'll find out in a few years.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:52 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Oh, agree it won't stay in a vacuum amigo. But look at the improved results with the C7 compared to the C6. GM can't ignore the Corvette, nor are they. However when I ran my spreadsheet on 7/2/12, the Corvette impacted GM's results by .1 MPG.

As long as GM continues to build so many more fuel efficient models across all makes, and continues to enhance the results of the iconic front engined V8 Corvette, I have my doubts that they will mess with success.

A V6 is very doubtful, IMHO, as is a hybrid. Possible, but doubtful. And since a mid-engine layout does not add anything to fuel economy, I doubt that we'll ever see that layout. All that would do is add to cost, generally reduce over-the-road utility (no 22 cu, ft. cargo room as in current C6, and a bit less in the C7), etc.

I guess we'll find out in a few years.

I agree with much of what you say - and I hope you're right.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I think the C8 will likely employ some form of hybrid technology. Supercars are tapping that keg now (LaFerrari, NSX, etc)...so it only makes sense we may see it trickle down.

I can honestly say, I may not be surprised to see an "awd" Corvette potentially, using front hub motors of some sort.

I'll say it now

1. Forget mid engine...forever...that's like seeing a 911 go front engine...or even mid for that matter...never gonna happen.
2. Round taillights...I'll be surprised unless there is some new technology and another chief engineer involved.
3. I'm going to venture to say, that Corvettes will always have a V8. I can see the viability of a turbo v6, but I think the technology exists to keep a V8 in the car. I just feel it's a move the engineers in the program don't want....in fact several of them have proclaimed at the Bash's "there will always be a V8 in a Corvette"...but as we all know...you never know what laws will be getting shoved down our throats tomorrow while the majority of clueless America knows nothing about it.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:11 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Buhma
What bashing? The truth hurts? I say again, NO ONE CARES about the C6.

And why are you following me here? I'd say....YOU NEED A LIFE

Uhhhhh....not following you. You post same, ignorant, tired bull$hit everywhere. It's hard to avoid.

So how about a pic of what you drive? Ever actually owned a Corvette? Or are you as full of $hit as all your posts?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Round Tail Lights.
Don't forget the hidden head lights like the C5.. The C5 looks much better coming at you then the flashlights under glass of the C6. So hidden head lights and round tail lights will make the C8 perfect...

Quick Reply: What will a C8 bring vrs a C7!!!