Sponsored by:

Hard top convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 AM
joz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top convertible

Do you think corvettes will ever have convertible hard tops? As in some mercedez and BMWs? I think soft top convertibles are looking a little behind. I know it would probably add 10 grand to the cost. I love my c7 but I would've definitely paid the extra cost for a hard top convertible. Coupe when you want it, convertible when you don't.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have bought it if they did. It will be some time but I'm sure at some point they will out law soft tops for safety reasons.

Until then, they will try to save weight where they can.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:19 AM
canadianz51owner
Heel & Toe

I would never buy a soft top convertible based on what it looks like. Just don't like it..
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 AM
joz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by canadianz51owner
I would never buy a soft top convertible based on what it looks like. Just don't like it..
My thoughts exactly. Convertibles are fine with me when the top is down, but when the top is up and it's some kinda fabric I think it's pretty embarrassing considering it's 2013.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joz
... but when the top is up and it's some kinda fabric I think it's pretty embarrassing considering it's 2013.
Hard top convertibles are for people that want to be able to take the top down on a really nice day. Soft top cars are for people that ride around with the top down unless it is a really, really, bad day.

BMW has some convertible cars that are PRHT (power retractable hard top) and some that are strictly soft tops. I believe it is a function of cost, space, weight, and design.

I have had convertible Vettes and PRHT BMW Z4's. I have also had Coupe Vettes. For me, I would never buy another Coupe. The removable panel is a PIA and doesn't give you anywhere near the same driving experience as a full top down.

For me, driving a sports car with a hard top, is just not as enjoyable a twisty road experience.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope not. I drive a lot of premium cars daily, and many of the BMW and Mercedes hardtops rattle, and that's not even considering the extra weight. Oddly enough, I've never heard any noise from the Miata hardtops, but they're also heavier. My first car in 1960 was a convertible and so was my first new car. Over half of the 70 or so cars I've owned have been convertibles, so I'm quite confortable with soft tops.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:03 AM
ALLANB
Pro

I really love my SL55 hard top. Don't notice any rattles at all. I am not a big fan of soft tops they tend to look kind of shabby as time goes by and much louder for road noise when up. Also think the structure of the car and possibly safety is compromised as well.
My SL55 has a cool retractible roll bar as well for safety when the top is down.
It does add weight and complexity but really hoping to see a retractible hardtop in the future in the vette.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Mrs. Lucky has a beautiful Lexus SC 430 folding power hardtop...doesn't squeak, rattle and looks great top up or down...Definitely would be more costly for a Vette to go in that direction...My 2011 GS is a soft top
Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
Hard top convertibles are for people that want to be able to take the top down on a really nice day. Soft top cars are for people that ride around with the top down unless it is a really, really, bad day.

BMW has some convertible cars that are PRHT (power retractable hard top) and some that are strictly soft tops. I believe it is a function of cost, space, weight, and design.

I have had convertible Vettes and PRHT BMW Z4's. I have also had Coupe Vettes. For me, I would never buy another Coupe. The removable panel is a PIA and doesn't give you anywhere near the same driving experience as a full top down.

For me, driving a sports car with a hard top, is just not as enjoyable a twisty road experience.
Especially in Florida when you run into rain. Jumping out of the car just to put the top back on in the rain can get hectic and dangerous. You just have to pick your days for the removable tops. So in the raining season in sunny Florida you have to be careful or you'll get soaked.....that's for sure.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

I hardly ever removed the roof panel on my last 2 C6 because it was a pain. Hopefully the new carbon fiber roof is more manageable. I like the open air feeling of a convertible but always have had concerns about security. I would like the added security and looks of a power hard top. I would buy a PRHT if GM could do it right. Mazda did it on the Miata and did not sacrifice much trunk space.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:05 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
I hardly ever removed the roof panel on my last 2 C6 because it was a pain. Hopefully the new carbon fiber roof is more manageable. I like the open air feeling of a convertible but always have had concerns about security. I would like the added security and looks of a power hard top. I would buy a PRHT if GM could do it right. Mazda did it on the Miata and did not sacrifice much trunk space.

Taking the top off the coupe is a PITA compared to pressing a button!

The new roof is very light. Still a bit awkward IMHO but that's coming from a guy that has had his C6 Vert to drive for the past 9 years.

If the top is almost always down then it doesn't matter what it looks like with the top up!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 AM
brokenparts
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I really dont mind the way the soft top corvettes look. I think it looks better on the vette then a lot of other cars I see and the car looks fantastic with the top down. Too each his own though

Part of my love might be from the c5 days. I never did like the regular hatchback coupes but, I loved the fighter jet bubble that you got on the Z06 or FRC. The vert seemed to embody that, at least thats the way I looked at it.

Being able to put the top down on a nice 60F day was a slice of heaven...
The following users liked this post:
Parker25 (11-29-2022)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw7
I hope not. I drive a lot of premium cars daily, and many of the BMW and Mercedes hardtops rattle, and that's not even considering the extra weight. Oddly enough, I've never heard any noise from the Miata hardtops, but they're also heavier. My first car in 1960 was a convertible and so was my first new car. Over half of the 70 or so cars I've owned have been convertibles, so I'm quite confortable with soft tops.
The weight issue is why not and the fact that you will not have any luggage space if you travel with top down.
z51vett
Doug
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Part of the reason I am buying a Corvette is that it IS a soft-top. Looked at all the hard tops and none of them had any useful space in the trunk with the top down. It rules out using the car as a daily driver if you can't even secure your laptop bag in the trunk, much less carry your gym bag, golf clubs, and a softball bag.

I would imagine somebody will build an after-market non-folding hardtop for the convertible. Something you would bolt on for the winter, or to increase safety for motorsports. Might be really sweat looking in exposed carbon fiber.

There is another thread where C6 owners were discussing that the soft top convertible may actually have less road and exhaust noise than the coupe with its echo chamber of the hatch area floor resonating to the rear axle and exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
Parker25 (11-29-2022)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RickMN
Part of the reason I am buying a Corvette is that it IS a soft-top. Looked at all the hard tops and none of them had any useful space in the trunk with the top down. It rules out using the car as a daily driver if you can't even secure your laptop bag in the trunk, much less carry your gym bag, golf clubs, and a softball bag.

I would imagine somebody will build an after-market non-folding hardtop for the convertible. Something you would bolt on for the winter, or to increase safety for motorsports. Might be really sweat looking in exposed carbon fiber.

There is another thread where C6 owners were discussing that the soft top convertible may actually have less road and exhaust noise than the coupe with its echo chamber of the hatch area floor resonating to the rear axle and exhaust.
The C6 verts did seem quieter then my coupes.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cost, weight, loss of space, complexity, leaks are all good reasons not to go with retractable hardtops. The pluses are that they generally look better and some believe they provide more security...which I don't buy. If someone wants to break into your car, they'll find a way.

Having owned a retractable hard top, I did like the look but didn't like the volume of trunk space I had to give up for it. Cloth tops are fine with me.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I don't see it for several reasons

1) It costs a lot to develop

2) It costs a lot to manufacture

3) It really restricts the shape of the car. As 75% of all cars are coupes, they will not make the coupe look worse for the hard top convertible.

4) There's no real demand for it. Yes, its nicer but it's not like people won't buy soft top convertibles.

As someone who has had both the Ferrari F430 spider and the 458 spider, I actually prefer the soft top of the F430. It looks better when down and gives more of an open air feeling. And, there is something classic and sporty about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard top convertible

Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Doubtful, despite some speculation of the same from Autoblog which the following photo is attributed.

"Our spy shooter also speculates that the convertible top on this car might not be entirely that which it seems. Noting that when the original Z06 debuted it did so with a smaller, weight-saving hardtop that resembled the size and shape of a convertible top, our master of the long lens postulates that some trickery could be at the heart of this seemingly soft-topped tester. The convertible top seems very convincing to our eyes, however, so it's possible that the simplest answer is the true one here as well."

Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joz
Do you think corvettes will ever have convertible hard tops? As in some mercedez and BMWs? {b}I think soft top convertibles are looking a little behind.[/b} I know it would probably add 10 grand to the cost. I love my c7 but I would've definitely paid the extra cost for a hard top convertible. Coupe when you want it, convertible when you don't.
Oh NO!! He didn't just say that did he? Really? Looking a little behind?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
Doubtful, despite some speculation of the same from Autoblog which the following photo is attributed.

"Our spy shooter also speculates that the convertible top on this car might not be entirely that which it seems. Noting that when the original Z06 debuted it did so with a smaller, weight-saving hardtop that resembled the size and shape of a convertible top, our master of the long lens postulates that some trickery could be at the heart of this seemingly soft-topped tester. The convertible top seems very convincing to our eyes, however, so it's possible that the simplest answer is the true one here as well."

Looking at this photo, it look as if there might be a C5 Z06 style fixed roof hiding under some convincing padding and a canvas cover to make it appear to be a convertible.

Even if that's true, it won't be a hard top convertible like the other "Corvette", the XLR.

Quick Reply: Hard top convertible