Sponsored by:

My day with a C7

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:34 PM
TLaverty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My day with a C7

I got a chance to spend a day with a 3LT/Z51/FE4/NPP torch red model a couple of days ago and I just have to write about it. Unfortunately it was an auto, and I only had it on public roads, but it was still an awesome experience. [if you are in the Boston area I encourage you to google new england corvette rental]

What you hear about it being better looking in person is so true. Everything that looks overdone in pictures: the multitude of vents, busy two-tone back end, the chrome ‘retainer’ in the front grill - all seem to fade and the beautiful lines and proportions just shine through. The only exterior detail I still don’t like is those two bumps in the lower front fascia. Reminds me of when the 5-mph bumper regulations came out and many pretty cars were ruined by ugly add-ons. I expect a midlife design refresh to address those (but I’m not waiting!).

I left the C5 at home so I wouldn’t experience a C7 to C5 disappointment at the end of the day (that strategy seems to have only partially worked!). Our family ride is a Cadillac SRX and I was not sure how it would be stepping out of that into the C7. That went better than expected. The look and finish of the materials is almost as nice. The cockpit flows around you and feels smaller than a C5/C6 but you don’t seem to mind. The seating position is a bit higher with less ‘falling into’ feeling as you enter. The steering wheel horn button that looks huge in pictures is no big deal in person. The door panels and some other interior pieces have flex to them but I’ll take that tradeoff to save grams. It was a black interior so not much contrast but still almost everything looked and felt first class.

The one area I don’t think is well done is to the left of the center stack screen. With just the engine start, radio volume, and screen up/down control there is too much plastic showing. I am going to seek out a C7 with the carbon fiber dash option and see if that helps. I’d also say the area with the cup holders and power outlet does not feel as finished - its visually boring compared to how the upper parts of the dash all flow together so nicely. My final nit is with the radio controls. The HVAC controls are great but there’s not enough hard buttons for all the stuff that the radio can do. I had to use the ‘home’ button + touch screen a lot. A nice array of user programmable buttons (like the optimus keyboard http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/mini-six/) around the radio screen would fill up the space and make it easier to interact with the car (I did not try the voice commands).

Oh, and when my hand is draped over the shifter it naturally falls near the climate temp ****, where I’d like it to be closer to the radio volume. Guess I have to get used to the steering wheel controls. Ok, I’m done with picking nits, now to the area where the car shines.

The thing that astounds me is the dual personality of the car. When in touring mode the ride is really nice (like BMW firm) and easily handles the bad roads here in New England. Put it into sport or track and you really feel the car change personality. The steering, suspension, exhaust, etc. all change into tense race car mode. I’ve had the adjustable shocks on previous vettes but it’s never been anything close to this.

Besides the diver mode selection wheel there’s another control that brings out the beast in this car. It’s under your right foot. OMG, when you hit the gas this thing just goes bipolar and really gets after it. The noises are closer to a race car than other vettes I’ve driven – the emphasis is on exhaust sounds behind you - the engine/valvetrain clatter in front of you is only a minor presence. I’ve never driven a C6 Z06 or ZR1 but I’d love to hear comments from others on how the personality compares.

I plan to put an order in for a 2015 – my last 2 vettes have been polo green and bowling green, I hope lime rock green makes it more than one year!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:38 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Nice review! I'm also with you on the Fangs but GM of Europe required it.....waitwut
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Dream C-5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 03:36 PM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TLaverty
The thing that astounds me is the dual personality of the car. When in touring mode the ride is really nice (like BMW firm) and easily handles the bad roads here in New England. Put it into sport or track and you really feel the car change personality. The steering, suspension, exhaust, etc. all change into tense race car mode. I’ve had the adjustable shocks on previous vettes but it’s never been anything close to this.

Besides the diver mode selection wheel there’s another control that brings out the beast in this car. It’s under your right foot. OMG, when you hit the gas this thing just goes bipolar and really gets after it. The noises are closer to a race car than other vettes I’ve driven – the emphasis is on exhaust sounds behind you - the engine/valvetrain clatter in front of you is only a minor presence. I’ve never driven a C6 Z06 or ZR1 but I’d love to hear comments from others on how the personality compares...
Just returned from a trip to Bowling Green to pick up a friends new C7 from the museum. Same set up as the one you drove, but a manual. He let me drive it for about 20 miles leading up to the Tail of the Dragon (he had to drive it in the Tail...some friend huh...). There were plenty of twisties where I drove it though, and I couldn't agree more with your description. My wife's C6 Coupe has the mag ride, and you (well I) can only feel the difference between Tour and Sport mode when cornering aggressively. But with the C7 you feel every bump in the road, when you enter Sport or Track mode, but in a good way.

We (4 or us) cruised up in 2 C6 Z06's, each of which are heads/cam cars that put about 550HP to the rear wheels. I got to drive both of them as well, and honestly I couldn't feel too much of a difference from idle to ~4K RPMs. The LT1's low end torque is amazing, and very noticable.

Congrats to the GM team for hitting a home run with this car...

Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 PM
JTS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Nice review! I'm also with you on the Fangs but GM of Europe required it.....waitwut
I kind of like the 'fangs'. Have no idea where they came from but I would take a guess and the designers tried to mimic, albeit figuratively, of a stingray. That's what the fangs look like to me. And I think it suits the car very well.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:47 PM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTS
I kind of like the 'fangs'. Have no idea where they came from but I would take a guess and the designers tried to mimic, albeit figuratively, of a stingray. That's what the fangs look like to me. And I think it suits the car very well.
I think the detail upfront now is amazing.....the Suctioned hood and the tense lines and the fangs look really cool as far as im concerned.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your excellent review. Much appreciated
Old 10-23-2013, 05:56 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I really disliked the fangs but after a few weeks with the car they look fine to me now.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I like the fangs although I imagine fang protectors will be on my shopping list..

Great review..what was the cost to rent the car?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Roadrunner 73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLaverty
I got a chance to spend a day with a 3LT/Z51/FE4/NPP torch red model a couple of days ago and I just have to write about it. Unfortunately it was an auto, and I only had it on public roads, but it was still an awesome experience. [if you are in the Boston area I encourage you to google new england corvette rental]

What you hear about it being better looking in person is so true. Everything that looks overdone in pictures: the multitude of vents, busy two-tone back end, the chrome ‘retainer’ in the front grill - all seem to fade and the beautiful lines and proportions just shine through. The only exterior detail I still don’t like is those two bumps in the lower front fascia. Reminds me of when the 5-mph bumper regulations came out and many pretty cars were ruined by ugly add-ons. I expect a midlife design refresh to address those (but I’m not waiting!).

I left the C5 at home so I wouldn’t experience a C7 to C5 disappointment at the end of the day (that strategy seems to have only partially worked!). Our family ride is a Cadillac SRX and I was not sure how it would be stepping out of that into the C7. That went better than expected. The look and finish of the materials is almost as nice. The cockpit flows around you and feels smaller than a C5/C6 but you don’t seem to mind. The seating position is a bit higher with less ‘falling into’ feeling as you enter. The steering wheel horn button that looks huge in pictures is no big deal in person. The door panels and some other interior pieces have flex to them but I’ll take that tradeoff to save grams. It was a black interior so not much contrast but still almost everything looked and felt first class.

The one area I don’t think is well done is to the left of the center stack screen. With just the engine start, radio volume, and screen up/down control there is too much plastic showing. I am going to seek out a C7 with the carbon fiber dash option and see if that helps. I’d also say the area with the cup holders and power outlet does not feel as finished - its visually boring compared to how the upper parts of the dash all flow together so nicely. My final nit is with the radio controls. The HVAC controls are great but there’s not enough hard buttons for all the stuff that the radio can do. I had to use the ‘home’ button + touch screen a lot. A nice array of user programmable buttons (like the optimus keyboard http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/mini-six/) around the radio screen would fill up the space and make it easier to interact with the car (I did not try the voice commands).

Oh, and when my hand is draped over the shifter it naturally falls near the climate temp ****, where I’d like it to be closer to the radio volume. Guess I have to get used to the steering wheel controls. Ok, I’m done with picking nits, now to the area where the car shines.

Besides the diver mode selection wheel there’s another control that brings out the beast in this car. It’s under your right foot. OMG, when you hit the gas this thing just goes bipolar and really gets after it. The noises are closer to a race car than other vettes I’ve driven – the emphasis is on exhaust sounds behind you - the engine/valvetrain clatter in front of you is only a minor presence. I’ve never driven a C6 Z06 or ZR1 but I’d love to hear comments from others on how the personality compares.

I plan to put an order in for a 2015 – my last 2 vettes have been polo green and bowling green, I hope lime rock green makes it more than one year!
Nice right up!! Just picked up my Torch Red Z-51, 3LT today at MacMulkin in Nashua NH. Had a joyful ride home at the onset of rush hour/outer Boston traffic taking her home to SE MA (took 495). Mine is a stick and I have to say I need to get used to the clutch and finding the gears more smoothly but damn it was awesome!! Just left in touring mode for the drive home but had some fun on the local roads this evening in sport mode. So far, no issues with the car just my needing to get used to it. Christ, just yesterday I was buzzing around in my Roadrunner with a 40 year old Hurst competition plus shift kit (4 speed) so it's a big difference for me. Anyway, I had people buzzing all around me on 495 to get a look at the car and it was awesome. Plenty of thumbs up locally as well. One twenty something with a Z car asked me "What the hell is this thing?" It's awesome!!! Anyway I have a lot of exploring to do (can't wait) and have not even scratched the surface yet...... I'm not a tech person but my 12 yr. old son will take care of me with regards to all the gadgets and setup so I can just drive!!!! Cheers....

Last edited by Roadrunner 73; 10-23-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:14 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream C-5
Nice write up.
Thanks
Cool

Get notified of new replies

To My day with a C7

Quick Reply: My day with a C7