2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 AM
blackcorvette06
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
I would consider this a more realistic comparison since they actually take price into account.

Last edited by blackcorvette06; 11-02-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:43 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about the point total for chassis being even? Car and Driver has actually stated the C7 Z51 is on par with the 911 S in a category I never thought I'd see them rated even in.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:02 AM
M_C7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they said the C7 was 1.2 secs quicker at willow springs...but did they ever list the actual times?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by M_C7
they said the C7 was 1.2 secs quicker at willow springs...but did they ever list the actual times?
2.1 seconds faster...then they bashed the Vette for handling "too good" wtf? I feel like the testers for these comparisons have zero skill driving around a track, if you feel like the car is too easy to drive around a track, go faster and brake later. I thought these knuckleheads are supposed to be testing these cars not pussyfooting around with them.

The tester likely posted embarrassingly slow times at Laguna and in the interest of protecting their integrity as an "unbiased" car rag they opted out of posting times that any amateur could best.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Unfortunately, it seems more and more, these car mag testers are Indeed knuckleheads.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 AM
blackcorvette06
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't even bother putting new tires on the vette before the test!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:33 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

140,000 for the ugly 911 is a felony! No one would look at the 911 if it were parked next to a C7.
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (09-17-2017)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:10 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

The 991S is evolving more into a GT car than a true sports car. Its owners are more likely to be doctors and lawyers than sports car enthusiasts. The 991 GT3 is the true sports car in the 991 lineup, or the 991 Turbo S for those who want world class acceleration.
On the other hand for the buyer who is not in the top 1% income bracket, the Cayman S is something to consider. Below is a comparison of the Cayman S and C7. Both are great choices for the right buyer.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/cayma...ison-test.html
Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
No one would look at the 911 if it were parked next to a C7.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 AM
rayw1128
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sly1
Its owners are more likely to be doctors and lawyers than sports car enthusiasts.
So lawyers and doctors cannot be sports car enthusiasts?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

A well deserved showing!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:13 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rayw1128
Based on my experience and those of my son who use to work at a local Porsche dealership, these owners typically buy a $150K Porsche as a symbol of their financial success, and for that reason they wouldn't even consider a $60 - $70K Corvette. Of course I know that there are some doctors and lawyers who are enthusiasts, but in general I think not. Many of them also own Rolex watches, and I doubt if they do so because they are watch connossieurs.

Last edited by sly1; 11-02-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by rayw1128
Apparently not. And ... only doctors or lawyers are allowed to own a Porsche. Following this line of logic, doctors and lawyers are not allowed to own Corvettes.

Someone must have messed up when I bought my Porsche, because I own a gun shop. If Porsche had checked, I'm sure I would have been disqualified. Actually, when I bought my last two Vettes I don't remember a background check being done either. How odd.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 AM
avalonandl
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Based on my experience and those of my son who use to work at a local Porsche dealership, these owners typically buy a $150K Porsche as a symbol of their financial success, and for that reason they wouldn't even consider a $60 - $70K Corvette. Of course I know that there are some doctors and lawyers who are enthusiasts, but in general I think not. Many of them also own Rolex watches, and I doubt if they do so because they are watch connossieurs.
Agreed.

The 2 cars hit vastly different markets. The 911 Carrera S and variants that are pricier are more likely owned by stockbrokers, hedge fund managers, etc.

The Corvette is more available and a base version at 52k compares in price to a Boxster, yet will kick its teeth in relative to numbers.

People that want to own Porsches buy them for a reason. They are a drivers car, and demand a good driver to get the most from them.

Avalon
Old 11-02-2013, 11:43 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Both are great cars..
Old 11-02-2013, 11:49 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by avalonandl
Agreed.

The 2 cars hit vastly different markets. The 911 Carrera S and variants that are pricier are more likely owned by stockbrokers, hedge fund managers, etc.

The Corvette is more available and a base version at 52k compares in price to a Boxster, yet will kick its teeth in relative to numbers.

People that want to own Porsches buy them for a reason. They are a drivers car, and demand a good driver to get the most from them.

Avalon
Avalon - I use to have a national competition license and tracked my 993. That car took a great deal of skill to drive fast, since it had a oversteering bias and few electronic aids. So in the hands of an inexperienced driver, 180s or even 360s were likely. I would expect that an average Porsche 991 owner who never attended a racing school, much less tracked his car, could probably get an good lap time with all of the driver's aids: ABS, Stability Management, PDK, etc. Even manual trannies now have rev matching for downshifting. Of course a professional race car driver will turn faster times with most of the aids disabled, but an average guy can now turn in decent times with minimal instruction.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:05 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StanNH
Apparently not. And ... only doctors or lawyers are allowed to own a Porsche. Following this line of logic, doctors and lawyers are not allowed to own Corvettes.

Someone must have messed up when I bought my Porsche, because I own a gun shop. If Porsche had checked, I'm sure I would have been disqualified. Actually, when I bought my last two Vettes I don't remember a background check being done either. How odd.
If you are using syllogistic reasoning you should examine your major premise. I posted "Its owners are more likely to be doctors and lawyers than sports car enthusiasts", a statement I stand by. I did not state that only doctors and lawyers own Porsches, nor did I state that doctors and lawyers buy only Porsches. Either statement is absurd. I used doctors and lawyers as examples of a professional class which includes many other groups.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Old 11-02-2013, 01:13 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

I totally agree. The Rodney Dangerfield/ Judge Smale comparison says it all in Caddy Shack. A lot of us who drive vettes can well afford GT3's, Turbo Porsche's etc, but are just vette junkies. Some of us are cause we fell in love with corvettes at a young age and it was a cool sexy hot rod then and now. The 911 is the german's idea of a hot rod. To many of us, although in the hands of someone who know's what they are doing can perform very well on a road course, canyon driving etc, it is a homely looking contraption that is a bad design for a street car that has to be " mastered" unless the nanny's are there to save you. If they were girls, one would be paying twice as much for the ugly one, but you could take her to the club, cause she had the right " pedigree". Me, I'll take the hot one from the wrong side of the tracks ( usually a lot more fun).
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (09-17-2017)
Old 11-02-2013, 01:28 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by musclecar6
I totally agree. The Rodney Dangerfield/ Judge Smale comparison says it all in Caddy Shack. A lot of us who drive vettes can well afford GT3's, Turbo Porsche's etc, but are just vette junkies. Some of us are cause we fell in love with corvettes at a young age and it was a cool sexy hot rod then and now. The 911 is the german's idea of a hot rod. To many of us, although in the hands of someone who know's what they are doing can perform very well on a road course, canyon driving etc, it is a homely looking contraption that is a bad design for a street car that has to be " mastered" unless the nanny's are there to save you. If they were girls, one would be paying twice as much for the ugly one, but you could take her to the club, cause she had the right " pedigree". Me, I'll take the hot one from the wrong side of the tracks ( usually a lot more fun).
LOL Hey, stop poking fun at my girl friend. I own a 981S. As I posted on another thread I may be one of the few that likes both the C7 and Porsche. Actually I just happen to love sports cars, and the one I liked most was my first sports car, a C2. I wish I still owned that car.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:47 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

$150K Porsche's are extremely rare. I think Porsche does this as a clever marketing ploy to convince people it's cars are more upmarket. I know quite a few Porsche owners and none of them are in the "1%" category. My buddy has a Turbo Cab and lives in a $1600/Mo apartment (which in this area is a pretty crappy apartment). Couple of other guys own 2013 911's and they both got them because Porsche had a great lease program. I think they both are paying around $850/Mo. One owns a medium sized body shop and the other one works for a company that does health care software. None of these guys own a Rolex either.

Sure there are multi millionaires that drive Porsche's but believe me there are multi millionaires that drive Corvette's as well. But if we are talking about the 1% type then we are talking about Ferrari, Aston, Bentley, Lambo buyers. But most of these guys have multiple non exotic cars like Corvette's and Porsche's as well.

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S