Sponsored by:

EZ Pass location

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM
irpete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ Pass location

Anyone using EZ pass on their C7 to pay tolls? I attempted to attach mine on the windshield but no matter where I put it from the outside it looks really bad.

Because the rearview mirror has the plastic housing around it's base on the windshield it extends a good 1/4 way down the center of the windshield. With the EZ pass attached to the windshield it stands out big time since the windshield is dark, my transparent roof is dark and the EZ Pass is bright white. The usual tinting at the top of windshields on most cars isn't there on the C7. There is a small tinted area at the top of the windshield but because of the mirror housing it's not large enough to hide this darn thing.

Anyone else find a solution? Right now I'm just keeping it in the center console and holding it up when I go through a toll booth.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

We used to have a hard shell Toll Tag. I painted the side facing out with flat black spray paint, then attached to the windshield. Nearly invisible.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 PM
irpete
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
We used to have a hard shell Toll Tag. I painted the side facing out with flat black spray paint, then attached to the windshield. Nearly invisible.
Great idea! Thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 PM
RLCullum
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by irpete
Anyone using EZ pass on their C7 to pay tolls? I attempted to attach mine on the windshield but no matter where I put it from the outside it looks really bad.

Because the rearview mirror has the plastic housing around it's base on the windshield it extends a good 1/4 way down the center of the windshield. With the EZ pass attached to the windshield it stands out big time since the windshield is dark, my transparent roof is dark and the EZ Pass is bright white. The usual tinting at the top of windshields on most cars isn't there on the C7. There is a small tinted area at the top of the windshield but because of the mirror housing it's not large enough to hide this darn thing.

Anyone else find a solution? Right now I'm just keeping it in the center console and holding it up when I go through a toll booth.
Got one that you can screw onto the front license plate (you can get them at the tollway HQ at no additional cost). Then I painted it body color to make it disappear.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I put my Ezpass on the flat surface in front of mirror. Its hard to see in these pics that I have, so I will take pics later and post them.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

I have my I-Pass mounted under the hood on my C6. It works every time and stays dry under the hood liner. I plan to put it in the same location when I get my C7. Sorry for the bad cell phone picture.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 PM
irpete
Instructor

Originally Posted by got2bblu
I have my I-Pass mounted under the hood on my C6. It works every time and stays dry under the hood liner. I plan to put it in the same location when I get my C7. Sorry for the bad cell phone picture.

George and got2bblu,
These are also great options. I wouldn't have thought that they would work in those locations. The EZ pass people go to great lengths to outline where it needs to be to work properly.

RL,
I thought of that option as well but I haven't installed my front plate yet. I'm still on the temp tags right now and liking not having the front tags. I know I will have to do it soon though.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:42 PM
es
Pro

Originally Posted by irpete

Here in Florida the Sunpass/E-pass system has a feature that lets you add more vehicles to your account without buying another box. I have 6 vehicle license plates tied to my account and the system takes a pic of the license and computer charges my account. I keep the box in my truck and the Vettes and others go boxless.

Maybe your local system offers this feature
Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 PM
irpete
Instructor

Originally Posted by es
Here in Florida the Sunpass/E-pass system has a feature that lets you add more vehicles to your account without buying another box. I have 6 vehicle license plates tied to my account and the system takes a pic of the license and computer charges my account. I keep the box in my truck and the Vettes and others go boxless.

Maybe your local system offers this feature
Thanks but that's not an option here. We have to have either the windshield box or a license plate mounted box on the front of the car.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

I just hold mine up to the windshield when I drive through the tolls. An ugly white box will never be stuck to my windshield, in any of my cars.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
I just hold mine up to the windshield when I drive through the tolls. An ugly white box will never be stuck to my windshield, in any of my cars.

I do the same thing
Old 11-04-2013, 09:21 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I called my local toll authority to ask them how their toll tag works. My vehicles are registered with their license plates and they catch all those who don't have a (working) toll tag with an automatic photo-reader of your (rear) license plate as you go through.

I confirmed that I still get the same discounted rate even if the system has to resort to a photo of my rear plate as I go through since my plates are registered with a valid, funded account, which it does. So than I asked why do I have (or still want) to put a tacky toll tag in my wind shield?

I was told that this was in case their automatic reader was unable to somehow read my rear plate.

Verify if your toll authority actually needs an actual toll tag in order for you to get the good rate.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Here is the pic in my C7 in front of mirror

Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

That is the biggest, ugliest toll tag I have ever seen. Ours are now just a sticker with an embedded chip that you put on the window - not much thicker than a piece of paper. With a box that size, they should be able to read it before you even leave your garage. LOL.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 11-04-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:56 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Spray it flat black and tuck it in the front left corner of the windshield against the dash. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To EZ Pass location

Quick Reply: EZ Pass location