Sponsored by:

Chevrolet Customer Service order tracking thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:59 PM
jstlearnin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Production

I put my deposit down Feb/22/14 and was told I was in the top 5 and assured I would get a 2015......I was called to the Dealership about 8 weeks ago and wrote the purchase agreement. GM called me just over a week ago and told me my car will be built the week of May 11/15......so they must be running production until at least then.

Originally Posted by slambo
Hi, I ordered my wife a 2015 Z51 3LT Automatic Coupe in Arctic White with Kalahari leather seats on February 28th. We were told 6-8 weeks for delivery, so that's like now or a couple of weeks from now. The Config # is SKGT4F. The dealer sent me an email yesterday which is included below:

I had a meeting with my Inventory Manager today, and he informed
me that Chevrolet has stopped production on the 2015 Corvette's, and
that they will roll your order over to the 2016 model year. This means
that they won't build your Corvette until sometime next month,
however you will get a 2016 model year with the same options and
the price we agreed on will not change, you will still get the 2016 for
the same price.

Two weeks earlier I received the following email:

I got with my inventory manager and our Chevrolet rep. What is
holding it up from being built is both the Z51 package and the dual
carbon fiber roof. They are currently not building those at this
moment nationally. However they did tell me that in the next 2 weeks
they believe they will lift the constraint and start building it then.

So I'm wondering what's really going on here and if you can take a look at SKGT4F and see what the factory info says. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I read that the cutoff for 2015 orders is April 23rd, so I don't understand the first email above. Additionally, I'm guessing if orders are still being taken until 4/23, that implies 2015's will still be being built until sometime in mid May which further implies that I might not see a 2016 until possibly August. That's like 20 weeks from when I ordered it. Please tell me this cannot be the case. I look forward to whatever info you can provide.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:29 AM
slambo
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jstlearnin
I put my deposit down Feb/22/14 and was told I was in the top 5 and assured I would get a 2015......I was called to the Dealership about 8 weeks ago and wrote the purchase agreement. GM called me just over a week ago and told me my car will be built the week of May 11/15......so they must be running production until at least then.
Hey jstlearnin, thanks for taking the time to send out your relevant post. Good data point. Really glad to see you're situation appears to be working out. Truly great! This whole puzzle as to how GM allocates builds might be all the complications with JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing. All manufacturers do this sort of thing these days as they don't want to carry any inventory. They make all the pieces show up at just the right time to be assembled, nothing is warehoused. It's a major component of how manufacturers get the price of their product down to the absolute minimum. They don't pay for anything until it's going into something that actually generates income for them. It's really a complex coordination problem to get all the vendors to deliver exactly what is needed to supply everything needed to build a specific vehicle. It's a really tough problem that appears to have negatively affected me. And I'm okay with that if that's what it is, I just really want GM to acknowledge what's really going on so it doesn't look like magic or voodoo.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:14 AM
jstlearnin
Intermediate

Default Jit

Good morning Slambo.......I agree with your last post as to implement and operate a JIT system, organization and vendor assurance is so crucial. I had to get GM involved into my situation as I thought and still believe somewhat that the dealership I'm dealing with tried to pull a fast one on me. I believe that they tried to get me to commit to a lesser optioned car and resell my allocation for more money. Although I have no proof it's just a gut feeling and thanks to GM rep, it looks like I will be getting the original car I ordered minus the Visible Carbon Fiber Package as they say GM can't get it, so I have to go with painted CF. I have a very good friend who knows the plant manager at Bowling Green (just found out) and he is going to fire him off an email to see if this story is in fact true and if not can I still get the VCF. I just hope I get the car sometime in June or earlier as I want to drive it down to the Corvette Auto Show this year in Carlisle Pennsylvania. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for a beautiful lady at Bowling Green Kentucky by the name of Linda...(works in prodiction) and whoever she got involved, then Jeanne F. from GM customer service, I dare say that the outcome of my situation would have been completely different and I can't thank them enough. What I can say is, for sure, I've never worked so hard, to spend so much money, and the roller coaster ride I've received from this dealership.....is just unacceptable!....All the best and I hope that your situation will come out positive, as I'm praying that mine will.....cheers

Hey jstlearnin, thanks for taking the time to send out your relevant post. Good data point. Really glad to see you're situation appears to be working out. Truly great! This whole puzzle as to how GM allocates builds might be all the complications with JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing. All manufacturers do this sort of thing these days as they don't want to carry any inventory. They make all the pieces show up at just the right time to be assembled, nothing is warehoused. It's a major component of how manufacturers get the price of their product down to the absolute minimum. They don't pay for anything until it's going into something that actually generates income for them. It's really a complex coordination problem to get all the vendors to deliver exactly what is needed to supply everything needed to build a specific vehicle. It's a really tough problem that appears to have negatively affected me. And I'm okay with that if that's what it is, I just really want GM to acknowledge what's really going on so it doesn't look like magic or voodoo.

Last edited by jstlearnin; 04-19-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:42 PM
oldfoggy
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Excuse me . . . reality knocking!

Just in time or any other system depends on a functioning freight system.

For a couple of months (just past) the west coast ports were basically closed!!! As impatience as I am I am sure you are! However, parts in hold of ships defy the best planning efforts. The parts they don't have because of the port issues, they don't have, period. When the shipping system and freight systems recover for this exaordinary problem, every may just function correctly again!!!

Last edited by oldfoggy; 04-19-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:44 PM
oldfoggy
Pro

with above noted, will you please let me know if my status has changed in any way?

Order #sjxh1m

thanks
Old 04-19-2015, 09:11 PM
slambo
7th Gear

Default Jit

Originally Posted by jstlearnin
Good morning Slambo.......I agree with your last post as to implement and operate a JIT system, organization and vendor assurance is so crucial. I had to get GM involved into my situation as I thought and still believe somewhat that the dealership I'm dealing with tried to pull a fast one on me. I believe that they tried to get me to commit to a lesser optioned car and resell my allocation for more money. Although I have no proof it's just a gut feeling and thanks to GM rep, it looks like I will be getting the original car I ordered minus the Visible Carbon Fiber Package as they say GM can't get it, so I have to go with painted CF. I have a very good friend who knows the plant manager at Bowling Green (just found out) and he is going to fire him off an email to see if this story is in fact true and if not can I still get the VCF. I just hope I get the car sometime in June or earlier as I want to drive it down to the Corvette Auto Show this year in Carlisle Pennsylvania. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for a beautiful lady at Bowling Green Kentucky by the name of Linda...(works in prodiction) and whoever she got involved, then Jeanne F. from GM customer service, I dare say that the outcome of my situation would have been completely different and I can't thank them enough. What I can say is, for sure, I've never worked so hard, to spend so much money, and the roller coaster ride I've received from this dealership.....is just unacceptable!....All the best and I hope that your situation will come out positive, as I'm praying that mine will.....cheers
Hi again jstlearnin, thanks for another relevant post, at least relevant to our circumstances. Although we have nothing absolutely concrete, there's starting to be enough information that a story is starting to form. As you know from my first post, the dealer said that the Vette I ordered was constrained by the Z51 package and the visible carbon fiber roof (same as your initial car). That makes me feel better in that everything appears to be above board. Unfortunate as this process is (and may become), as long as I feel I am being dealt with honestly and fairly I can manage through it and ultimately still be happy at the end. I really love your "I've never worked so hard, to spend so much money" comment, I'm there! Is your car a Z51? That will be another good piece of information to integrate into the puzzle.

And for oldfoggy's post, you make a good point. Can you add any detail to where and why the west coast ports have been basically shut down for months. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:51 PM
oldfoggy
Pro

I'm not that conversant, but living in SFO it was all the news for a LONG time, check google for the longshoremens 'work action ' .

The government never stepped in to end it . . . . ships and containers not movin g ,at all . . . the ripple from this is still unraveling as the interstate freight systems try to unwind the backlogs.

I never realized that the parts came thru, so it never occurred that I might actually be effected by national shipping delays!

stupid me, but it feels better to understand, but isn't know why they didn't say so. If this is the problem, it wasn't theirs!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:51 PM
jstlearnin
Intermediate

Default Slambo

Good evening Slambo, thank-you very much for your warm response. The Corvette that I've ordered is a Shark Grey Convertible w/ Z06/Z07 Package
Adrenaline Red Interior
3LT Package
Visible Carbon Fiber Package
(Have been told that I have to take the painted Carbon Fiber, BUT haven't given up yet)
Chrome Package
Battery Package
Full Carbon Flash Racing Stripe's
Carbon Fiber Instrument Panel
Carbon Fiber Tonneau Inserts
Black Top
My brother bought a 2014 Torch Red/Adrenaline Red in, 3LT, Z51 package...he absolutely loves it

Hi again jstlearnin, thanks for another relevant post, at least relevant to our circumstances. Although we have nothing absolutely concrete, there's starting to be enough information that a story is starting to form. As you know from my first post, the dealer said that the Vette I ordered was constrained by the Z51 package and the visible carbon fiber roof (same as your initial car). That makes me feel better in that everything appears to be above board. Unfortunate as this process is (and may become), as long as I feel I am being dealt with honestly and fairly I can manage through it and ultimately still be happy at the end. I really love your "I've never worked so hard, to spend so much money" comment, I'm there! Is your car a Z51? That will be another good piece of information to integrate into the puzzle.

And for oldfoggy's post, you make a good point. Can you add any detail to where and why the west coast ports have been basically shut down for months. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 AM
psummers
Advanced

Smgbmc - denver thanks!
Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 AM
indianavettebuyer
5th Gear

Default Order Update Request

Could you please give me an update on order #SHBVND in Indiana? Hopefully, this is the production week.

Thank you!!
Old 04-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

An update on SMKRR7 please.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Ed'sC7
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi,

Can i get an update on order # SMKKHR to NY
Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM
CHUXDRM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a friend who ordered a C7 in mid-March (he's not on the forum). He ordered a Night Race Blue Z51 3LT coupe. Dealer just told him factory wouldn't be building any more 3LT's, his would probably be delayed until June or July, but would be a 2016.

This sounds similar to a post above by slambo. Any truth to this? Or what is going on?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:54 PM
PJ_vet
Heel & Toe

Hi there.

I'm hoping my Corvette is in production this week.

My order # SJBRQ8 from California.

Thanks and have a good day
Ken
Old 04-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by tmelzer
Thank you - order SMJZ41 TPW ? Illinois
Hey Tmelzer,

She's shipped! Congrats! We are unable to track the vehicle once it has been shipped, but please let us know when you get her. Feel free to send us a private message if you would like her build date and VIN!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-20-2015, 05:35 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Am I lucky to have a sequence # or VIN yet for SKNGDD? This week is supposed to be the week
Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Hi.

This week is my TPW. Can you please check the status of order # SMCMQR, from Maryland?

Many, many thanks.
Hey Meyerweb,

Looks like she's still waiting her turn to get built. Check with us again sometime later this week for another new (hopefully!) update. . The frustrating thing about a TPW, is that it is always subject to change so I apologize it was not built last week just yet.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To Chevrolet Customer Service order tracking thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by mendeldl
Could I get an ETA, Production date and Rail car if they are all known. SJTCTF. Thanks.

Hey Mendeldl,

We do see she has been shipped, but unfortunately we cannot track her once she has left . However, she is on a rail, I can tell you that! If you would like her VIN and built date, feel free to send us a private message. Congrats!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rdcarriker
May I please have an update for SJMB2S
Thanks
Hey Rdcarriker,

Since this is your TPW, she may be built anytime this week! However, it's something that is always subject to change. It looks like she's waiting her turn to get built still. Check in with us at the end of the week for a possible new update!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by johnyg
Can you update SMPRDR coupe 2LT Z51 red in SC
H Johnyg,

She's been accepted by production with a TPW for 5/11/15! Looks like we are making some moves!

Check in with us during the TPW for a possible new update!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Customer Service order tracking thread