Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the C7 handles in rain, sleet, snow, heavy snow, slush and "off road"

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Default How the C7 handles in rain, sleet, snow, heavy snow, slush and "off road"

As I promised in another thread, this is my report on how the C7 handles in rain, sleet, snow, heavy snow, slush and "off road."

In my thread about Ken Fichtner's great service, I explained that I had planned on traveling to his Montana dealership on Sunday, a day with a great forecast for the entire trip from my home in southeast Wyoming. It's basically a short jaunt across I80, up I25, the across I90, and should normally be about a 6 hour drive, plus stops. But I was inadvertently delayed by about 4 1/2 hours about 150 miles into the trip up, obviously putting me well behind schedule.

The weather had been great up to that point, and continued to be so until the state line, when it started to rain. The rain continued all the way to the dealership. At times, it was very heavy, but I had A/S 2's on my C6 coupe, and it was not problem. It hydroplaned a couple of times, but no biggy.

I arrived at the dealer around 5:30, and we completed the paperwork and orientation around 8:00 or so. I was eager to get back, so I checked the forecast to see if the snow was still expected on Monday. Unfortunately, it had changed, and snow was expected to start around midnight and accumulate to an inch by morning. No way was I going to risk driving, especially since the roads were completely wet, which meant there was a potential for black ice. I went to bed resigned that I would wake up to an inch of snow on the ground and would have to hang out until things cleared up. But when I popped awake at 4:00, there was no snow on the ground. It had rained all night, and the forecast had been changed to rain all morning and into the early afternoon. No snow until then, and this forecast was the same for the entire route. Great, I thought. Rain isn't a problem, and if I leave at 5:00, I'll be home before the snow flies. So off I went in my brand-new C7 (with Z51).

It rained constantly the entire stretch of I90 back to the state line. There was a lot more water on the road than the day before, and the C7 hydroplaned more often. I'm not sure if it was because of the amount of water or the difference in tires. But again, no biggy. I had the car in Weather mode, of course. I was a little nervous about the 38 degree temperature, but there wasn't anything I could do about it.

Right near the Wyoming border is a small mountain to go over. The pass peaks about 4500'. On the way up, it started to snow. Bummer, but it wasn't sticking, so I continued on, not that there were any exits to allow me to change my mind anyway. As the road tilted up, the snow got heavier and heavier, and started sticking to the road. I started to get a little nervous, but a Honda SUV passed me, so I followed in its tracks. I figured that as long as I had contact with pavement, I'd be OK. But as we climbed further, the cleared tracks began to diminish because it was snowing so hard, and then disappeared completely - I was driving on/through snow. I thought for sure I was going to slide or get stuck, but the car trudged through. I knew I was going to need the Honda's tracks going down the other side, so I stayed with it, even though he was going a lot faster than I would have liked to have been. I could feel the traction control at work. It was interesting, the car would sort of "crab" its way straight when the back end would slide a bit. I should note that the entire climb up was a construction zone, and was reduced to one lane. There was nowhere to go but up and over. The temperature was 32, and it would stay there or lower for many more hours. Again, I wondered about the tires, but there wasn't much to do about it.

The road finally peaked and we started back down. After awhile, the road cleared up a bit to where I could ride in the Honda's tracks again. But visibility was a real issue. It was still well before daylight, so I just kept that Honda's tail lights in view as a guide. The snow continued on mile after mile, and I had to pay 100% attention to driving, so I couldn't play with any of the cool things in the C7. This is a good point to talk about the climate controls - MUCH improved over the C6. The new layout is very easy to control. Unlike the C6, you don't have to take your eyes off the road to adjust the fan speed, and all the buttons are very easy to get to and push. However, temperature regulation is less than good. The control algorithm seems to be 'let it get really cold, then heat it up.' I was constantly having to crank the temperature **** and fan way up to defrost the windshield, and having to redirect to the floor so my foot wouldn't freeze.

I drove through snow, rain, sleet and fog for the next few hours. On and on it lasted, and the windshield wipers were never off. At times, it was very slow going, but the car did well. Heavy slush causes problems with the wide tires, and I went through a long stretch of it. Riding in others' tracks is crucial because hitting the slush yanks the car off course. At one point I went well across the centerline before I could correct. At every town I thought about stopping, but since I was making progress, I just continued on. My perseverance was finally rewarded when the snow stopped about 130 miles from home. It was still raining a bit, but the roads were OK, and I got play with some of the features of the C7. Pretty neat stuff!

But the true test of the C7's ability was yet to come. In Cheyenne, a highway info sign indicated that I80 was closed to Laramie. This often happens because it goes over The Summit, an 8600' peak that is notorious for bad weather. It can be clear everywhere else but snowing like crazy around the peak. I ran an errand while I was in town, and then checked the status of the road. It turned out that it was closed because of a wreck, not because it was impassable. This meant that the alternate route, a nice two-lane back road, would likely be well travelled. With the confidence from having conquered the weather all day long, I decided I'd give it a go. Surely, they plowed it, right?

The road is about 50 miles long, and terminates right at The Summit. It was nice and clear all the way up until the snow area, where several inches had fallen. The road had a lot of snow on it, but tire tracks had been worn through, so it was OK. There was a lot of accumulation in between those tracks, though, and for a good while, I was actually plowing snow. The lack of a center section of air dam was a good thing, and I think those fangs in front helped a bit. But then, as the road neared the highest point, the tracks ended and there was only thick snow and ice pack to drive on. It had not been plowed! At this point, I just knew I was in for a different adventure - how to get my C7 hauled out of there. But there was no choice but to continue on. There was no way to turn around, so I put it in third gear and tried to stay steady with the line of cars I was in. I knew I would not get going again if I stopped.

The surface was incredibly rough with ruts and washboards. The car was bouncing up and down like crazy. I kept the front end pointed basically where I wanted to go as best as I could, while the back end seemed to jump all over the place, but in an oddly controlled manner. It would bounce and slide to one side, then correct itself, propelling me forward at a steady 22 MPH. It was pretty interesting, almost like pseudo-AWD. This harrowing experience continued on for about 2 miles, when finally it ended at the intersection with the interstate on the downhill side of the summit. I was completely amazed and relieved that the car had pulled through.

I checked this morning, and there is no visible checking or anything on the tires, they seem fine. So the dire warnings of driving in temperatures less than 40 degrees are seemingly overstated. Not that I'm recommending that anyone ignore the warnings, but it's clear that if you get into a situation as I did that you can get through. But I should point out that the snow that I went through, as long as it lasted, was more like spring snow than winter snow, and the temperature did not go below 30. So I don't know how the tires will behave in more severe weather, and I'm not going to find out. I have a set of Continental ExtreemeContact DWS on the way, and these will be on the car until next spring.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the way the C7 handles adverse weather. I can't wait to drive it when it's nice out.

Last edited by -CM-; 10-15-2013 at 10:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
itaylorm (08-13-2016)
Old 10-15-2013, 09:33 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate the weather @ Cheyenne! I've been stuck on that stretch several times. Congrats on making it through and having your baby make it home in one piece!

Only thing missing are any PICTURES!!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I hate the weather @ Cheyenne! I've been stuck on that stretch several times. Congrats on making it through and having your baby make it home in one piece!

Only thing missing are any PICTURES!!
Here's the only picture I took, which shows how the aero plate catches snow. Driving took 100% attention, so I didn't take any while I was on the road. And I didn't stop for sight-seeing.

Last edited by -CM-; 10-15-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
Here's the only picture I took, which shows how the aero plate catches snow. Driving took 100% attention, so I didn't take any while I was on the road. And I didn't stop for site-seeing.
Yeah, I'm sure you couldn't stop and shoot most of the time!
BTW, I am amazed you didn't get stuck going uphill at some point. Actually, having slightly narrower tires probably helped you in this situation.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

WOW more courage then I....... But you are used to this weather. Glad you made it. Sure GM is interested in your story!!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Nice write up, though sorry you had to go through it. However, while perhaps the open spaces of Wyoming may be more suited to the Silverado, it does illustrate the for the city dweller, this car can actually be used a daily driver. Though a true all season tire is the way to go.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Wow
Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up CM, (it's not every state that will use a C-7 as a snow plow!) I salute you sir:
Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default awd? maybe someday...

it will be an option for folks.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 AM
YellowC5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW...that is quite a story! I'm glade you made it home safely. This time of year in the mountain areas can be spooky.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Bet the base car would of been better, but glad to see you got through Z51 and all!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Whew .......white knuckler for sure! Sounds like the traction control and e diff worked wonderfully in these conditions.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:07 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You're a better man than I. Last weekend, ten inches of salt water from an abnormally high tide was enough to make me back out of a parking lot maze rather than plow through.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Very impressive driving in those conditions in your new C7
Old 10-15-2013, 12:42 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,070 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Thanks for the great write up. Nice to hear you got thru it.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corvettes can get through snow just fine, but like the OP stated they demand 100% attention and the TC/ AH will be working full-tilt to keep it straight. In my C5 I actually use competition mode for snow. Keeps the car straight, but allows some wheel-spin to dig down to pavement when needed.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:00 PM
zipcode
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. what an adventure! two quick questions if I may:

1) would you do it again if you had to
2) did you manage to take a look at the tire temp or psi readings on your gauge cluster?

Get notified of new replies

To How the C7 handles in rain, sleet, snow, heavy snow, slush and "off road"

Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

First of all, I love the green! Great write-up, I felt like I was with you. Actually, I had a similar experience last year on my way home from my Museum Delivery. Snow, late April, Flagsaff, AZ. Stayed in the tracks ahead of me. Scary, but I survived.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:44 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zipcode
wow. what an adventure! two quick questions if I may:

1) would you do it again if you had to
2) did you manage to take a look at the tire temp or psi readings on your gauge cluster?
1) If you're asking if I'd make the same decision to start the trip based on the information I had, I'd say yes. As it turns out, it was the right decision, because today there are black ice warnings issued for the route. Black ice is in some respect worse than snow. However, I would not chose to finish the last 50 mile stretch on the 2-lane road in those conditions again. I made the assumption that the road would have been plowed. It usually is, because people live along it, but I guess there weren't enough resources or something.

But if/when I buy another from Fichtner Chevy, I will not take delivery in any month there might be snow. Which cuts the time frame down to basically June - mid September.

2) I did look at them when I first started the trip, and was in the rain. They were warm, and the PSI was correct and consistent. I did not look at them when I was in the snow for all those hours. As I said, driving required 100% attention.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:45 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Great summary, OP.

These cars do pretty well on bad surfaces/rain/snow - as long as wheel behind the wheel is using his head and remembers the throttle isn't an on/off switch.

I bet you won't soon forget that trip.

Quick Reply: How the C7 handles in rain, sleet, snow, heavy snow, slush and "off road"